Road cycling in Cape Town over December

Bruceste

Hey everyone

I'm going to be in the Lakeside/Muizenberg area from the 20th - 27th December and wanted to find out if there are any road cycling groups to join? And would it be reasonably safe to ride alone, along the cycle tour route barring the M5 of course? 

I'd be happy to get a few peoples contact details to get in touch with closer to the time.

I look forward to your input

Cheers

Easy...just get up early, get to any junction with Main Road and wait...won't be long for a train (bike-type, not graffiti carriage type!) to come past and slot in behind! ie there's plenty of group rides along there at that time of year. Safety...well now, that is risk assessment you'll have to make yourself! Depends on the route and time of day, better ride with mates/new friends if you unfamiliar with the area....

Hey everyone

I'm going to be in the Lakeside/Muizenberg area from the 20th - 27th December and wanted to find out if there are any road cycling groups to join? And would it be reasonably safe to ride alone, along the cycle tour route barring the M5 of course? 

I'd be happy to get a few peoples contact details to get in touch with closer to the time.

I look forward to your input

Cheers

info@club100capetown.co,.za

LIfe Cycle Bike Shop on facebook

trail and tar in tokai

Don't know whether clubs will be particularly active or have planned rides during that period, but I'm sure there'll be many cyclists out on the road.

Staying to popular routes should be quite safe.

Edited by Thomo

TLC (the life cycle) would be your closest club, see https://gjfouri6.wixsite.com/thelifecycle/shop-rides for details. They have open rides and welcome newcomers - I'd highly recommend joining one of their Saturday rides. Its always better to ride in a group and the locals will show you some 'hidden gems' like Red Hill, Constantia Neck etc, not part of the cycle route, but definitely a must do IMHO if you like a bit of climbing.

re: riding solo, I would avoid riding solo through Ocean View and Kommetjie - there have been quite a few incidents. Simon's Town to Cape Point and back and the rest of the cycle route should be fine. Noordhoek through chappies and Camps Bay I would rate as 'very safe' (baring cars), lots of cyclists  - try ride before 9am to avoid the buses. Your welcome to drop me a pm, I'll be doing early morning rides most days I don't have too much of a hang-over  :D