Retul Bike Fit

Did one last Thursday. Really thorough, took three hours all in. Did foot, arch, sizes, shape etc first. Then sit bone. Then all sorts of flexibility stuff and lots of questions. Some magical methods to measure the bike and then he attached sensors to my body, got me on the the bike on this big rotating platform thing and spent ages adjusting and fiddling etc.

Was very very thorough.

Did one last Thursday. Really thorough, took three hours all in. Did foot, arch, sizes, shape etc first. Then sit bone. Then all sorts of flexibility stuff and lots of questions. Some magical methods to measure the bike and then he attached sensors to my body, got me on the the bike on this big rotating platform thing and spent ages adjusting and fiddling etc.

Was very very thorough.

And.....difference on your riding?

all depends who's doing it I guess. I did one a few years back, and was quite basic and was done within 45 minutes.

Reading the replies above, I guess the "fitter" just took a quick way out.

Extremely happy with my Retul setup. I did a few weeks investigation on bike setups, and this system is simply the best for someone who isn't full time pro.

1. Made my position on the bike a lot more comfortable.

2. Have managed to squeeze our 9 more watts on FTP.

3. Pointed out my pedalling action and weaknesses that needs attention. (Picked up a very old MX accident that is causing week ankle side movement, that I did not disclose before hand).   

Made enough adjustments my body could handle on first setup, will be going back in 500km to fine tune setup. All included in the price.  

My theory is I spend so many hours and money on the bike, I want to be comfortable and maximise power and trying to avoid injuries.  

Do it, you wont be sorry.

Edited by MatvBreda

Had one .. But seeing I'm a-symmetric with my peddling style, (one high heel foot, one low heel) my saddle measurement was made on the wrong side (high heel) and ended up 25mm to high for my low heel side and I managed to injure my Achilles heel (to stretched).   I was cycling with same saddle height for ~2 years before that without any issues. I Dropped my saddle back to old height and 3 years later still  no issues. 

So just make sure if you are lob sided that the fitter check both sides properly, those days they just stuck sensors on one side if I recall.   

The reach etc was 100% though and lot more comfy , so will always recommend it

Forgot to add that the fitter also put specific insoles into my shoes to compensate for my arches and put a spacer under my toes. Also fitted cleats etc. 

Only been out twice since then, and it is a brand new bike, but feels good. Also his advice on my posture etc means that I need to think about my core where cycling so I am consciously thinking about how I am sitting, my back, my toes etc at the moment. 

Did one..........and.......no..........no difference.  

This was my second setup done in my life and value for money?..........not impressed.

This the bike fit offered by Specialized? 
Anyone tried the offer from Cycle lab? Which fitment routine do they follow?

you in Durban, go see Deno at DVH Cycles - https://web.facebook.com/Performancebikefit2/?_rdc=1&_rdr

Stay away from Cyclelab, they specialize in retail not bikefit.

Don't do it Bman.

Been there, done that and never had a worse bikefit. Was completely off.

Had said I feel like i am on the top tube i'm so low but insisted i was right and to try it only to be super uncomfortable and go for another and adjust it completely differently.

Granted it was a mtb setup - maybe he's only good at road setups?

Not sure who to try now without paying a fortune for it and being able to trust.

Edited by Legs4HillsWhereItsFlat

Don't do it Bman.

Been there, done that and never had a worse bikefit. Was completely off.

Had said to him at the time I feel like i am on the top tube i'm so low but insisted i am right and to try it only to be super uncomfortable and go for another and adjust it completely differently.

Granted it was a mtb setup - maybe he's only good at road setups?

Best chap in Durbs was old Clayton but unfortunately he has immigrated. 

Duane Stander was also fantastic, but gone too.

Not sure who to try now without paying a fortune for it and being able to trust.

Go to Leeroy at Reform Cycling - he uses the Ergofit system. Very knowledgeable and in-depth. Ping me if you want his number. 

This the bike fit offered by Specialized? 

Anyone tried the offer from Cycle lab? Which fitment routine do they follow?

I had a Cyclelab bike fit in 2014. I think it cost R500 and was ok. Was probably 45 minutes IIRC and covered the basics. I do remember though that the lad made no adjustments to my saddle height or handlebars as he said I was close enough as it was. 

I came back a week later as my knee was sore from a ride post fit and he readjusted my cleats. 

Extremely happy with my Retul setup. I did a few weeks investigation on bike setups, and this system is simply the best for someone who isn't full time pro.

1. Made my position on the bike a lot more comfortable.

2. Have managed to squeeze our 9 more watts on FTP.

3. Pointed out my pedalling action and weaknesses that needs attention. (Picked up a very old MX accident that is causing week ankle side movement, that I did not disclose before hand).   

Made enough adjustments my body could handle on first setup, will be going back in 500km to fine tune setup. All included in the price.  

My theory is I spend so many hours and money on the bike, I want to be comfortable and maximise power and trying to avoid injuries.  

Do it, you wont be sorry.

Thanks for feedback - Specialized Dealer now R1700 for fitment - but if I spend that kind of money it must be worth it.

Not a pro and will never be one, but want to be comfortable on rides from 10km to 160km. ;-)