AVALANCHE REFLEX 29ER PRO 2020

Gr3mlin131

Hi guys,

I currently have a Raleigh Eldorado MTB. Specs are kinda impressive with 26" wheels, v-brakes and I think about 60-80mm travel coil spring, and no tubeless yet. 

I do not ride MTB that much, so that has been good enough so far, but I got stranded with a puncture one too many times, so looking to upgrade. As Tubeless will cost more than the bike. 

Now a great option I have seen is the Avalanche Reflex 93er Pro. This has 1x12, Air Spring up front, 29er meaning easier to get proper tyres, and Hydro disk brakes. And it is suspiciously cheap at R8000 retail. Is this a good for a occasional MTB rider in Gauteng? 

Link for specs : https://avalanchebicycles.co.za/mountain-bikes-2020/

PS. other recommendations in that price range can also help. 

• 8 months later...

My friend just started cycling and he got one.  He has nothing bad to say about the, except that it is heavy.  

The fact that he can't complain about the bike, is he can't compare the bike to another bike, as he as not ridden a bike in like 20 years.

There is nothing wrong with an Avalanche. It will be a major upgrade vs the Raleigh Eldorado. It will be perfect for your intended use.

The website doesn't mention the drive train, but if I'm not mistaken it uses some real cheap Chinese brand, I'm not sure how reliable it will be.

Luckily, these parts are not too expensive to replace.

Thanks for all the input, I decided against the Avalanche as I did not quite trust the no name shock. Spent a bit more and got the Valenti VR-X, which comes with proper XT components and a Rockshox fork, still a bit on the heavy side, but so far really enjoying the upgrade to a proper fork and disk brakes. 

Thanks for all the input, I decided against the Avalanche as I did not quite trust the no name shock. Spent a bit more and got the Valenti VR-X, which comes with proper XT components and a Rockshox fork, still a bit on the heavy side, but so far really enjoying the upgrade to a proper fork and disk brakes. 

I own a Valenti VR-1 road bike. Good affordable brand and well specced for the R7000 I paid for it. Sits on the Kickr all the time but it is a bike I would feel comfortable taking out on the road. 

There is nothing wrong with an Avalanche. It will be a major upgrade vs the Raleigh Eldorado. It will be perfect for your intended use.

The website doesn't mention the drive train, but if I'm not mistaken it uses some real cheap Chinese brand, I'm not sure how reliable it will be.

Luckily, these parts are not too expensive to replace.

The drivetrain is "L-Twoo" operates like SRAM and is compatible with SRAM and Shimano. I've got 10 speed L-Twoo (1x10) and to be honest, it works, it shifts well...had a clumsy tumble on the drive side this weekend...the derailleur didn't break, still shifted nicely...I'm considering getting the 11 speed components to do a 1x11 setup, but when it comes to the cassette i will get sunrace instead, their cassette is on the heavy size. When i priced the 11 speed components the shifter and RD come up to about R800 - R900. shimano or sram upgrade kits start at about 3k. I think their components are good. :thumbup:

Good choice. I saw it some months ago like when they first introduced it. The spec is really good. When ready to upgrade you could look for just a frame, HT or FS and transfer the components. I suspect the weight is all in the frame.