Beginner

Nadia New

Hi everyone

I want to purchase a bicycle and start riding.

I am looking for advice on what to purchase because I don't know a lot about bikes.

I want to do mountain biking but also the 5150 triathlon and Ironman 70.3

So I want a bike I can do both with.

My length is 164cm

My inseam is 78cm

My budget is around R10 000 as I don't want to spend too much on my first bicycle.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you

Hi First Timer

Welcome! If you want to do both, then you will have to get a mountain bike. With 10k you are looking for a medium hardtail. Plenty descent bikes available in that price range. 

Most of the second hand bikes will have a tubeless conversion done already, so the only thing you can do to go a little bit faster on the road during a Ironman, is to get road tires for your bike. 

Good luck!

Edit: Keep in mind things like cycling clothes, bike computer/watch, cycling helmet and cycling shoes when you are on a strict budget.

Edited by Wil6

If you want one bike for both, you have no option but to get a hardtail mountain bike, but you are going to struggle on the 70.3 with a mtb.

90kms on a hardtail mtb is doable, but far from ideal. A road bike is just sooooo much faster and so much easier on the road than a MTB. You need to save as much energy as possible for that 21km run.

With a budget of R10k, I would suggest buying two bikes of R5k each.

You'll get a good road bike for R5k and an acceptable hardtail for R5k on the second hand market.

In terms of bicycle sizing, I disagree with Wil6. With an inseam of 78cm and height of 164, you are looking at an Extra Small or maybe a Small. 

Edited by Longbarn Killer

I'm just wondering if 10k is a reasonable budget to enter the sport with ambitions like yours First Timer. I started out that way - got a hardtail for 7k and unwittingly set off fiscal hemorrhaging. MTB is slow on the road by many kmph but doable and will make the road bike that much sweeter when you get it.

If you want one bike for both, you have no option but to get a hardtail mountain bike, but you are going to struggle on the 70.3 with a mtb.

90kms on a hardtail mtb is doable, but far from ideal. A road bike is just sooooo much faster and so much easier on the road than a MTB. You need to save as much energy as possible for that 21km run.

You'll get a good road bike for R5k and an acceptable hardtail for R5k on the second hand market.

In terms of bicycle sizing, I disagree with Wil6. With an inseam of 78cm and height of 164, you are looking at an Extra Small or maybe a Small. 

You are correct. Did not read properly. Would suggest he goes to his nearest local bike shop to make sure he buys the right size

Welcome!

Agreed on the sizing, you would definitely be around a small which is both a blessing and a curse in the used marked. There will be far fewer bikes in your size, but then again they should be lower priced due to the much lower demand.

As a reference, I am 1.72 and ride a small frame Merida road bike (on the limit for the size though) while I ride a medium frame mtb.

As to the triathlons, there are many who do the sprint distance on mtb, fewer on the Olympic distance and very few if any on the 70.3 distance. As noted by others, a road bike will be less effort to go much faster, making it way easier to finish within time limits on these events. 

A mtb will however make it possible to start training and participate in a few events, you can always buy a cheap road bike in a years time. Just remember to budget for all the other kit you will require, and above all, smile and have fun.

My suggestion will be to stop everything here and to go to the pro shop to get some sticks  :whistling:, we're all a bunch of crazy people  :eek:

But on a more serious note: If you want to do something like the 70.3 or any other race that takes place on the road it will be best to get a skinny wheel instead of a mtb. 

My suggestion is that you get yourself a roadie and if and when you want to go out on the dirty stuff then either rent or borrow a mtb  :thumbup:.  

Hi First Timer

Welcome! If you want to do both, then you will have to get a mountain bike. With 10k you are looking for a medium hardtail. Plenty descent bikes available in that price range. 

Most of the second hand bikes will have a tubeless conversion done already, so the only thing you can do to go a little bit faster on the road during a Ironman, is to get road tires for your bike. 

Good luck!

Edit: Keep in mind things like cycling clothes, bike computer/watch, cycling helmet and cycling shoes when you are on a strict budget.

Hi there

Thanks for the advice. I will look into that bikes.

Yes thats why my bike budget is 10k because the extras must come with as well 

Hi 

On a sizing chart i did on the internet it said my size is medium. I will have to go into a bike shop for a proper fit.

The two bikes for 5k each doesnt sound like a bad option. I will look into that.

I am just looking for a multi purpose bike, I arent that concerned with my time in the 70.3 just want to complete it. So if a MTB can do it it will be great.

Thank you

I'm just wondering if 10k is a reasonable budget to enter the sport with ambitions like yours First Timer. I started out that way - got a hardtail for 7k and unwittingly set off fiscal hemorrhaging. MTB is slow on the road by many kmph but doable and will make the road bike that much sweeter when you get it.

Hi 

Wow thats bad. 

Unfortunately i dont have that big of a budget. I will only be able to upgrade to better more expensive one later on.

Especially with all the extra equipment that is needed.

Where are you? I know a guy with an excellent deal on a 29" hardtail mtb. Carbon with 12 speed and all. PM me if you are interested.

Hi 

I am from Kirkwood in the Eastern Cape.

Welcome to thehub 1st timer

Are you male or female

Hi 

Thank you

Sorry i forgot to mention the most important info.

I am Female age 22