[Event] 2020 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

Sho thats a low blow... you saying Captain is more than 100 places from the front?

figuratively of course ????????

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Climb #2 - THE SEVEN PEAKS

The Seven Peaks climb starts immediately after the first water point. It is the shortest climb of the Big Five, but arguably the hardest????. This single-track climb is 4.4km long and gains 375m, with riders reaching the highest point at 682m. Riders will be challenged by a couple of technical, rocky sections.????????

#Climb2 #TheSevenPeaks #ImbukoBigFiveMTBChallenge #MTB #BeatTheUnbeatable

post-3951-0-86020300-1578906193_thumb.jpg

post-3951-0-35111500-1578906203_thumb.jpg

The Seven Peaks climb starts immediately after the first water point. It is the shortest climb of the Big Five, but arguably the hardest. This single-track climb is 4.4km long and gains 375m, with riders reaching the highest point at 682m. Riders will be challenged by a couple of technical, rocky sections.

attachicon.gifClimb 2.jpg

attachicon.gifClimb 2 Profile.jpg

I don't remember much of this one. I think I started crying here already... maybe not... maybe it is one of those I choose to not talk about cause its these shorter ones that gets you in the end.  :ph34r:

I don't remember much of this one. I think I started crying here already... maybe not... maybe it is one of those I choose to not talk about cause its these shorter ones that gets you in the end. :ph34r:

all I know it’s brutal and the only saving grace was that I did it 3 times before the actual event which kind of prepared me mentally for what was to come. I knew exactly that if you think you are at the top that it was just a trick your mind was playing on you.

The Seven Peaks climb starts immediately after the first water point. It is the shortest climb of the Big Five, but arguably the hardest????. This single-track climb is 4.4km long and gains 375m, with riders reaching the highest point at 682m. Riders will be challenged by a couple of technical, rocky sections.????????

attachicon.gifClimb 2.jpg

attachicon.gifClimb 2 Profile.jpg

Seven Peaks this morning...

post-12757-0-99237600-1579088512_thumb.jpeg

Seven Peaks this morning...

Looking Sublime, hopefully we'll be out there on the 26th January to remind us of our tough it is  :devil:

On a hardtail nogals. Nice! 

That happens to be the trail builder\route designer\ race director, if you build it you must be able to ride it on any rig  :whistling:

Climb#3 - OBIEKWA ????‍♂️

The longest climb of the Big Five, 11.1 km long, starts on Bainskloof Pass for 2km, up the Aap D’huez single track climb with its 28 switchbacks, and takes riders to the second water-point. From here, riders will descend for approximately 1km, before ascending, via Angel’s Tears, to the top of the climb at a maximum elevation of 795m. The total ascent for this climb is 830m. ????????

#BeatTheUnbeatable #ImbukoBig5MTBChallenge #MTB #Imbuko #Cycling #Obiekwa #Challenge #areyoureadyforit

post-3951-0-40599400-1579268178_thumb.jpg

post-3951-0-36256500-1579268189_thumb.jpg

On a hardtail nogals. Nice! 

Hardtail for the win! Did a recce ride on my HT up there and then was forced to use my dual on race day... if all goes well this year I'll do it with my HT on race day YaY!

Climb#3 - OBIEKWA ‍♂

The longest climb of the Big Five, 11.1 km long, starts on Bainskloof Pass for 2km, up the Aap D’huez single track climb with its 28 switchbacks, and takes riders to the second water-point. From here, riders will descend for approximately 1km, before ascending, via Angel’s Tears, to the top of the climb at a maximum elevation of 795m. The total ascent for this climb is 830m.

#BeatTheUnbeatable #ImbukoBig5MTBChallenge #MTB #Imbuko #Cycling #Obiekwa #Challenge #areyoureadyforit

attachicon.gifClimb Profile.jpg

attachicon.gifClimb 3 Profile.jpg

Last year I crashed just before this climb (on previous descent) and I was not in a good place but tar climb helped me gather my thoughts at least. Aap D'huez is such an iconic section and for some reason the switchbacks just gets you into a leka rythm. Angles Tears is at least also in shade, later on in the race you do not have that luxury. 

Last year I crashed just before this climb (on previous descent) and I was not in a good place but tar climb helped me gather my thoughts at least. Aap D'huez is such an iconic section and for some reason the switchbacks just gets you into a leka rythm. Angles Tears is at least also in shade, later on in the race you do not have that luxury. 

Please no tree hugging this year  :whistling: