GP 4000s and other road tyres

Paul

Hi, I’m curious how much life do you get out of your GP4000s? Also, what road tyre is your favorite for training and racing in South Africa.

I use to swear by the GP4000s. They feel so fast and comfortable... when I was living in Thailand where the roads are smooth I got a lot of KM’s out of them also. But here in South Africa I ripped through 3 of them in a few months of riding (as you know they are not cheap!). Right now I’ve settled with normal Gatorskins for training and use GP4000s for racing only.

I'm currently running the Speciliased Roubaix Pro 28mm. At R560 they are as good as the GP4000, while 1/3 of the price. Fast rolling and only one puncture in +/- 1,500 km. Still have good life left

GP5000 have served me well, 2300km without any punctures or cuts in the sidewalls.

Edit, use them daily.

Edited by Veebee

I use GP4000s in the summer. They are robust and rarely do I get a puncture. Being a lard ass I only get around 2500 km on the rear and around 5000 on a front tyre. Never had a problem with a GP4000 in any event that I have done so am a convert.

Not sure they will be continued going forward as COnti now have the 5000 range. I still have some brand new 4000's that I bought last year on special so have stock for a while yet.

I recently got my first set of GP5000 from Merlin cycles @ R477 each, then I made a huge mistake by ordering the wrong valve length on the Conti supersonic tube @ R165 each that was an expensive mistake, will see what mileage I get on the GP5000. 

Currently getting close to 8000km on a GP4000iis. I use them year round and love them, still the best value IMO. When the supply dries up I'll move on to Pirelli P Zero Velos, which have most of the characteristics of the GP4000s with the exception of a slightly more vulnerable sidewall, but are slightly more expensive. 

When GP5000 prices start to stabilize I'll move onto those, but right now I just cant justify the price.

Good tyres are an excellent place to spend your money, the improvement is immediate and obvious 

Currently getting close to 8000km on a GP4000iis. I use them year round and love them, still the best value IMO. When the supply dries up I'll move on to Pirelli P Zero Velos, which have most of the characteristics of the GP4000s with the exception of a slightly more vulnerable sidewall, but are slightly more expensive. 

When GP5000 prices start to stabilize I'll move onto those, but right now I just cant justify the price.

Good tyres are an excellent place to spend your money, the improvement is immediate and obvious 

I was very Skeptical about spending the extra money but after the fact that I got super light carbon wheels I decided to spend the little bit more. 

got about 6000km on the rear of a GP4000 before it started to puncture every other ride. I put on a (not so) temporary tyre until I could find a decent tubeless set which I have just done. The GP4000 up front did about 8500km. Probably has 1000km left. Roads are primarily Cape Peninsula

Slight change of tack.

I used to run the GP4000's as race tires, but they are worn out now after a few seasons. 

Went completely budget with Conti Ultrasports. Question I now have is, even though they are not TLR, will it work if I ran them with the Stans Race Sealant? My wheels are tubeless ready. 

I recently got my first set of GP5000 from Merlin cycles @ R477 each, then I made a huge mistake by ordering the wrong valve length on the Conti supersonic tube @ R165 each that was an expensive mistake, will see what mileage I get on the GP5000. 

I thought GP5000 were tubeless. That not true?

I thought GP5000 were tubeless. That not true?

They have two models.

Standard for use with tubes, and TR to run tubeless.

Slight change of tack.

I used to run the GP4000's as race tires, but they are worn out now after a few seasons. 

Went completely budget with Conti Ultrasports. Question I now have is, even though they are not TLR, will it work if I ran them with the Stans Race Sealant? My wheels are tubeless ready. 

It's my understanding that road tubeless have special (read: appropriate) beads that can hold on to the rim better. and that 'security' is great when barreling downhill at 80kmh... 

Makes sense (to a degree) but the Ultrasports needs a decent squeeze to get them of the rim, you can hear and feel the "pop" when the bead releases. 

In any case, was just a thought, will buy proper TLR tires when these are shot.