Struggling to seat new tyre

Piernas Flacas

Hey guys - I'm fitting a new Maxxis Ardent to my front tyre but air is escaping through the valve and hence the tyre doesn't pop. I can't get past 1 bar. I've tightened the valve as much as I could. And I replaced the old tape with brand new Gorilla tape. I did the same to my rear tyre and that one is ok. Any ideas? Replace the valve maybe?

Oh, and I let the wheel out in the sun for a while as well.

Edited by Piernas Flacas

Well if it's leaking at the valve but the valve is tight, it's probably the tape lifting somewhere. Happens to a lot. Most often the spoke bed spot if we'll sealed so any leakage into the rim will come out at the valve.

I would redo the tape making sure to be absolutely straight and stick down each CM properly, and use a hot pin or screwdriver to pierce the tape for the valve. Make sure you push the valve in, then push down on the little rubber grommet while you tighten the stem nut... Should be good.

Then, lube those tyre beads and the rim well before attempting to seat. Even with a small leak you should be able to get it up to max 40psi and hear the sweet sweet sound of beads popping onto the rim.

Any small leak will be manifest later, but with redoing the tape and seating the valve properly, you should be golden.

Thanks guys, will try both strategies. I'll have to wrestle them out and back in again. I never struggled so much with Schalbes in the past. What a pain.  :cursing:

Is there any leakage out of the spoke nipples? If so then it is definitely the tape.

I agree with the comments above, most likely it is the tape. I recently had the same, I suck at taping rims.

I really don’t think it is the tire, there are 374738294 people who have maxxis tires and if it was a known issue it would have reared it head by now. I have used Maxxis, Specialized and Vittoria tires and never sukkeled with the maxxis (except when I taped my rims like a baboon).

Is there any leakage out of the spoke nipples? If so then it is definitely the tape.

I agree with the comments above, most likely it is the tape. I recently had the same, I suck at taping rims.

I really don’t think it is the tire, there are 374738294 people who have maxxis tires and if it was a known issue it would have reared it head by now. I have used Maxxis, Specialized and Vittoria tires and never sukkeled with the maxxis (except when I taped my rims like a baboon).

Agree . Fitted Ardents to a customers bike on Friday , cheapie rims sealed easy easy . Do the above also check for small crack in rubber grommet part of the valve

Also make sure that before you apply any new tape to the rim that you’ve removed all residue from the old tape as well as any old sealant. Make sure the inside of the rim is clean and dry. Ensure there isn’t any water lurking around the inside of the rim if you washed it after you removed the old tape if it’s a double wall rim.

Edited by Off_da_brakes

Ok, fixed. As a last resort I took the wheel to the Caltex garage and see if the compressor would do the trick, but it didn't.

So, came back home and tried from the easiest solution to the difficult. So, I tried by adding a little bit of gorilla tape to the valve grommet since it looked a bit out of shape. Nothing.

Then I decided to replace the valve with a new one. Ta da!!! That was it. I think all these years of over tightening the valve took a toll. Brand new valve and no issues. I even tightened it by hand.

Thank you all for your advice!

Ahh ye olde valve issue. Always check to see if the shape of the valve o-ring and the bed of the rim are the same shape.

I've seen o-rings that are so thin and flat that if you try them on even a slightly curved rim bed they clamp tight on the sides without sealing on the two perpendicular sides. American Classic alu valves are popular culprits!

Glad you got it... Sucks to sukkel with this.

Wasnt mentioned but always take the valve core out when seating

Ja, these valves, however, are one piece.

Thanks all for your comments.

And I didn't mean to bash Maxxis. I just was so frustrated trying to get the tyre on the rim. I broke 3 tyre levers in the process. I haven't even ridden those tyres before, so I don't know how good/bad they are  :ph34r: