XT vs SLX 10 speed Cassette?

Mintman

If weight is not an issue Deore will be just as good and last even longer. SLX would be my choice between your 2 options

I'd be more than happy with Deore if it's just a weight penalty. I heard something about some cheaper cassettes digging into the free hub body. Are there any risks like this?

I see this one on Chris Willemse but its 11-34 instead of 11-36:

SHIMANO DEORE HG500 10 SPD MTB CASSETTE

Otherwise there is this one but doesn't look like Deore:

SHIMANO HG50 10 SPD MTB CASSETTE

I heard something about some cheaper cassettes digging into the free hub body. Are there any risks like this?

Its actually the other way around.  The cheaper cassettes are pinned together and therefore stay together as one unit.  The more expensive cassettes are mostly individual pieces with plastic spacers between them so each individual cog then cuts into the freebody as the load is not spread between a few cogs as it is with a pinned cassette.  

I haven't had hassles with the freebody in the past, tends to be an issue with the light weight aluminium units sometimes and could happen with a range of cassettes.

Those HG500 cassettes are great. I'm actually running the 11-42 version you will find in the drop down menu, though have it set up as 1x10 with a 32T up front.

Have a couple Sunrace cassettes in the cupboard I'll eventually put on when it wears out, then go 1x11

I haven't had hassles with the freebody in the past, tends to be an issue with the light weight aluminium units sometimes and could happen with a range of cassettes.

Those HG500 cassettes are great. I'm actually running the 11-42 version you will find in the drop down menu, though have it set up as 1x10 with a 32T up front.

Have a couple Sunrace cassettes in the cupboard I'll eventually put on when it wears out, then go 1x11

Would it be fine to use the 11-42 version with 2x10? I've currently got the standard 11-36.

Should not cause any issues provided you don't cross chain, ie use the big ring up front and the 42 at the back together, your chain length won't be long enough. You shouldn't ever use your gears like that in a x2 or x3 setup any way even with the 11-36

Its actually the other way around.  The cheaper cassettes are pinned together and therefore stay together as one unit.  The more expensive cassettes are mostly individual pieces with plastic spacers between them so each individual cog then cuts into the freebody as the load is not spread between a few cogs as it is with a pinned cassette.  

No, XT and above have an aluminium spider that bears most of the load on an alloy freehub body. Put an SLX or lower on and you will damage the free hub over time. 

An excellent alternative is the Sunrace range of cassettes which also run on alloy spiders.

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie looking for advice on picking between two cassettes:

SHIMANO SLX 10 SPD CASSETTE (HG81)

SHIMANO XT 10 SPD CASSETTE (M771)

I don't care about weight, I'd just choose the more durable of the two.

I plan on using it with this chain:

SHIMANO XT 10 SPD CHAIN (HG95)

Any help would be very appreciated.

In our family we have three MTBs with x10 Shimano. Have used both XT & SLX cassettes, all with XT derailleurs. We work on our own bikes. Seen at least 50000km of use.

XT & SLX x10 cassettes are practically identical (ramps, pins, shape, teeth). They are both comprised of sprockets made of one of two different kinds of alloy. Some gears appear to be a harder heavier material. The only (non-)significant difference is the threshold between these two kinds of material. The SLX has more sprockets of the harder material. XT has more sprockets of the lighter material.

The smallest sprockets and lock rings are interchangeable between XT & SLX x10 Cassettes.

My take on it:

• With all else equal, shifting feels exactly the same.
  • XT is slightly lighter, but may wear out slightly sooner.
  • SLX is slightly heavier, but will probably last a little longer.

We tend to replace with SLX unless we find XT at a better price.

Edited by Shaun Green

No, XT and above have an aluminium spider that bears most of the load on an alloy freehub body. Put an SLX or lower on and you will damage the free hub over time. 

An excellent alternative is the Sunrace range of cassettes which also run on alloy spiders.

The SLX also has that aluminium spider.

Edited by Alouette3

The SLX also has that aluminium spider.

I'm still confused whether the Deore cassette will cause damage to the freehub body. If so then SLX is the one for me. But Deore is obviously cheaper.