Can I learn proper skills with clipless?

Wic2

As everyone has said, you don't need to learn the skills on flats but it is a lot easier because you get immediate feedback when you do things wrong unlike with clips where you can get away with it and often need someone else to point it out. if you do decide to go with flats, make sure you get a proper set and also a good pair of shoes, that combo makes a world of difference.

Not keeping heels down, not keeping your weight through your feet on rough sections and pulling the bike up with the cleats when jumping/bunny hopping are the three big ones that come to mind.

For reference, I ride flats on my Enduro bike and cleats on my XC and road bikes.

Yes, spot on. I started riding with those awful toes trap roadie type things back in the 90's and then straight to SPD's. I wish I'd started on proper pinned flat pedals. Now I ride with DH SPD's. My foray into flat pedal riding happened after a knee injury in 2015 Its a very different ball game and adds a new dimension to your riding - foot/pedal interface awareness. You suddenly realise how much you rely on the fixed connection provided by SPD's. Jumping was especially interesting. I am going to give it another go on my enduro bike once I get a new pair of shoes and can convert my existing 5.10's to flats by screwing the cleat covers back in. 

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Ok - flats it will be for a while.  I don't have to, but the benefit should be more than the cost and pain.

One brand was suggested, but I was surprised that Shimano should be avoided.

Please suggest what brand I should be looking at and why - 83kg's and 11 shoe size for me.

Thanks

Speaking from personal experience, and as someone who rides with flats exclusively, you can't go wrong with Shimano Saints (I'm a size 12 shoe btw).

I've used them for years, until I got my current bike (Spez Chisel), and had Specialized Boomslang flats fitted. This was almost 2 years ago, and so far I am very happy with them.

There are a number of really good flats around. Hit the googles and do some reading. It will help.

If you are over 50

go to flats   -   you will thank me later.

No your feet will not come off flats.

(Do you have a dropper post ??)

Best advice so far. I'm over 60. Spent my whole life on Clipless. Pooh poohed flats.

Eventually Paid my money bought decent flats and proper cycling shoes. They are great. Now I use both but clipless mainly on my road bike. Flats on the mtb.

I thought that I would lose effeciency because you can't pedal in the circle. I found out that you can if you use decent equipment and proper technique.

Try it, you'll like it  BUT don't buy the cheap horrible stuff.

Don't ever try to do a wheelie or a manual with Clipless unless your skills are excellent 

Don't ever try to do a wheelie or a manual with Clipless unless your skills are excellent 

Doesn't matter what pedals or shoes you're using - just cover the rear brake and you'll be fine.  If you're relying on jumping off the back when you've gone too far past the balance point, then that's poor skills  :ph34r:

Dis. It's just easier to learn on flats cos they flat out punish bad technique, so you learn faster due to that. I'd always advise someone to start off their skills progression on flats due to this, but you can (with proper guidance) learn on cleats

I would also advise to switch for time to time, I only started to ride with cleats last year, and you do get lazy very quickly... So I do have to put flats on from time to time to remember how to jump without cheating :D

Doesn't matter what pedals or shoes you're using - just cover the rear brake and you'll be fine.  If you're relying on jumping off the back when you've gone too far past the balance point, then that's poor skills  :ph34r:

Very true. Unfortunately before we develop good skills we all have to start with poor skils  :blush: