Upgrade kit or not

Morning all

Thank you for all the advice already rendered on this site.

I have a Titan 2014 Expert. So I was thinking about putting on the Eagles NX upgrade kit. Is it a good idea?

I appreciate all the advice

Any change to SRAM is a good idea, Trust me I am on Shimano XTR and the entry level SARM is way better, Not so mucj for the grave grinders in good weather, but when the going gets tuff the tuff rely ob SRAM.

Then again what is the reason for changing?  More info is needed. Change for change sake is a waste, are you looking for more gears, better spread etc.?

Any change to SRAM is a good idea, Trust me I am on Shimano XTR and the entry level SARM is way better, Not so mucj for the grave grinders in good weather, but when the going gets tuff the tuff rely ob SRAM.

Then again what is the reason for changing?  More info is needed. Change for change sake is a waste, are you looking for more gears, better spread etc.?

:eek: Um ok.

You have now stuck your head in a hornets nest by asking that question  :whistling:

I'm going to answer your question by merely stating facts and then follow it with my opinion:

SRAM NX

• The shifter has a plastic feel to it 
  • I have seen and heard of multiple people breaking the rear mech 
  • The shifter only shifts in one direction - this is not a big issue but still something worth mentioning.
  • I have also heard about some people having issues with gears slipping. Only to find out that the hanger on the rear mech as bent slightly

Shimano - Even SLX or Deore

• The shifters has a better feel to them
  • You can shift in both directions
  • Easy to adjust the gears if they go out of wack 

My opinion (first let me give you some back ground on what I have used before in the past)

SRAM

SRAM XO

SRAM X7

SRAM X9

SHIMANO

Alivio

SLX

XT
XTR

I prefer Shimano above SRAM and I will not get SRAM again - this is my opinion and what I have found that works for me  :thumbup:

PS: There is no way in hell that XTR is the same quality as an entry level SRAM.

Then again what is the reason for changing? More info is needed. Change for change sake is a waste, are you looking for more gears, better spread etc.?

I am looking for a better spread. I hear people say the upgrade will help me with the hills

You have now stuck your head in a hornets nest by asking that question :whistling:.

I'm going to answer your question by merely stating facts and then follow it with my opinion:

SRAM NX

• The shifter has a plastic feel to it
  • I have seen and heard of multiple people breaking the rear mech
  • The shifter only shifts in one direction - this is not a big issue but still something worth mentioning.
  • I have also heard about some people having issues with gears slipping. Only to find out that the hanger on the rear mech as bent slightly
Shimano - Even SLX or Deore
  • The shifters has a better feel to them
  • You can shift in both directions
  • Easy to adjust the gears if they go out of wack

My opinion (first let me give you some back ground on what I have used before in the past)

SRAM

SRAM XO

SRAM X7

SRAM X9

SHIMANO

Alivio

SLX

XT

XTR

I prefer Shimano above SRAM and I will not get SRAM again - this is my opinion and what I have found that works for me :thumbup:.

PS: There is no way in hell that XTR is the same quality as an entry level SRAM.

Okay so you would say rather pay more for the higher end kits??

It's kinda a double edge sword to go from let's say a 2x10 over to a 1x12 or even a 1x11. With a 1x12 you get a 10/50T cassette at the back which does help with the climbing as you can just "spin" the steep stuff, but if you're not an extremely strong climber then this will end up making you slower, you'll spin more with a higher cadence than what you normally would on the 2x. 

Unfortunately if you want to become a better climber you'll have to train more hill repeats / hill training to become stronger. 

If you want to do the upgrade then also look at the 1x11 as they're cheaper than the 1x12 and you get a 11/50T at the back.

The 1x config is nice if you do a lot of trails and or single track where you need to shift often. If you mainly ride on district roads / dirt roads then you'll soon realize that on the 1x you run out of gears when going fast

I think my question should be is it worth it to upgrade?

Morning all

I have a Titan 2014 Expert. So I was thinking about putting on the Eagles NX upgrade kit. Is it a good idea?

What gears are currently on your bike ?

3 x 9, x x 10, 2 x 10 ?

i.e. how many teeth on front rings and what cassette is on the back ?

A 1 x 12 probably wont give a bigger range of gears than a 3 x 10 setup, but might save you a bit of weight and a whole lot of admin with only one shifter.

Rather put your money towards, some better secondhand wheels and a proper cycling workout program.

Edit: and better rolling Tyres depending on what you will be riding, I would recommend Maxis Crossmark, tubeless and they are good allrounders.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

Morning all

Yes its worth it to upgrade the parts on your bike to SRAM NX. Its not a break the bank upgrade and likely better than what you currently have on the bike.

However which model do you have Exactly?

Rather put your money towards, some better secondhand wheels and a proper cycling workout program.

Edit: and better rolling Tyres depending on what you will be riding, I would recommend Maxis Crossmark, tubeless and they are good allrounders.

Crossmark.....?????

It Monday, please not coffee spitting jokes so early in the week man :)

Yes its worth it to upgrade the parts on your bike to SRAM NX. Its not a break the bank upgrade and likely better than what you currently have on the bike.

However which model do you have Exactly?

And if you do fit the NX, take the five minutes odd to do the following: Remove the bolts holding the derailer/jockey wheels in, put a dab of locktite on the thread of the bolt, and screw it back in, making sure it is in nice and tight. Then there is no chance of the "exploding derailer wheel" as some claims.

edit: This is best practise on ANY derailer wheel. 

Edited by Wannabe

It's kinda a double edge sword to go from let's say a 2x10 over to a 1x12 or even a 1x11. With a 1x12 you get a 10/50T cassette at the back which does help with the climbing as you can just "spin" the steep stuff, but if you're not an extremely strong climber then this will end up making you slower, you'll spin more with a higher cadence than what you normally would on the 2x.

Unfortunately if you want to become a better climber you'll have to train more hill repeats / hill training to become stronger.

If you want to do the upgrade then also look at the 1x11 as they're cheaper than the 1x12 and you get a 11/50T at the back.

The 1x config is nice if you do a lot of trails and or single track where you need to shift often. If you mainly ride on district roads / dirt roads then you'll soon realize that on the 1x you run out of gears when going fast

I hear you