[Event] The MTB Challenge

Pedal Power Association

Event Name: The MTB Challenge
When: 29 February 2020
Where: Old Bethlehem Farm, Rooi St, Kylemore, Stellenbosch, 7600, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Off-road racing at its very best, the MTB Challenge hits the Cape Winelands on Saturday, 29 February 2020, and offers 15km, 30km and 60km options for all fitness and skill levels. The event has been running alongside the Cape Town Cycle Tour for what will be 20 years in 2020 formerly known as the Cycle Tour MTB Challenge. In September 2019 the event was handed over to Pedal Power Association to organise. We have taken the decision to take the event back to its roots where is all began and return to the beautiful routes of Banhoek Conservancy where it was last held in 2013. The venue is will be Old Bethlehem Farm that is situated in Kylemore, Stellenbosch.

The fun ride is aimed at all ages, shapes, sizes, fitness levels and income groups. The event is open to PPA members as well as non-members. The event targets both existing cyclists and newcomers to the sport, the average participant and newcomer, as well as the elite sportswoman.

In addition to the three routes on offer we will be bringing in the Bike4All mobile BMX track for the little ones to enjoy. Bike4All has a simple, yet effective motto: PUTTING MORE PEOPLE ONTO BICYCLES. Many people think of bicycles in terms of sport or recreation; as a means to participate in road or off-road fun rides, or simply to get fit and healthy. But the bicycle is the ideal vehicle for transportation, especially for short trips to school, shop or work. Through this project, we aim to change mobility in South Africa. Their portfolio includes yet not restricted to; Bicycle and BMX distribution, road safety and awareness, helmet handout, visibility, bike mechanic training and community support.

Start times and age restrictions:
15km – start time from 08h30. Age: 8 years and older
30km – start time from 07h50. Age: 15 years and older
60km – start time from 07h00. Age: 15 years and older

* Ensure you are ready at least 30minutes before your start to get into the chutes.
* Start groups will be available the week of the event.

Entry includes:
Entry, timing by RaceTec, finishers medal, beautiful on route experience, fully stocked waterpoints, post-race entertainment, lucky draw, goodies at registration.

Online Entries:
15km: R70 PPA Member and R170 Non PPA Member
30 km: R150 PPA Member and R250 Non PPA Member
60 km: R250 PPA Member and R350 Non PPA Member

*E Bikes are welcome: a bicycle that can be powered by electricity as well as propelled by pedals.

Should a rider wish to compete in the MTB Challenge by using an E-Bike, such rider must select the E-Bike category when completing the online entry for the MTB Challenge. If the rider failed to register in the E-Bike category, he/she will not be allowed to compete in the MTB Challenge.

An E-Bike rider may not start or attempt to start the race before his/her designated start group. Any rider who does so will be disqualified with immediate effect.

E-Bike results will be marked as such in RaceTec results and may not be used for seeding for other cycling events.

Riders using E-Bikes will not qualify for any prizes in The MTB Challenge.

Race pack collection:
In order to collect your race pack at registration you need to bring either the email or SMS containing your name and race number.

We urge you to collect your race pack before the event day to avoid unnecessary queues. Late entries will be taken at these collection points, however at an additional fee. Also note no PPA discount for late entries will apply! (NB: NO late entries on race day!)

In you race pack you will receive:

• Permanent RaceTec MTB number board – This will become your timing chip for all RaceTec-timed MTB events going forward. (You will be able to purchase a replacement MTB number board for R50 at Registration and on race day.)
  • Cable Ties – Use the cable times provided to attach the number board to the front of your handlebars.
  • Event sticker – This sticker needs to be applied to the top of the number board. Each distance will have a different coloured event sticker.
  • Seeding sticker – This sticker will need to be applied to the bottom right hand corner of the MTB number board. This sticker indicates your seeding group in your distance.
  • Goodies – There will be some goodies available for you.

*Save the emergency number on your phone: 083 414 1442

Collection points:
Wednesday, 26 February 2020: 12h00 – 18h00 @PPA Logistics Office: 9 Hillpark Lane, Mowbray
Thursday, 27 February 2020: 12h00 – 18h00 @Bellville Cricket Club: pp Smit Sportsfields, Durban Road, Bellville

Route:
60km Route (Actual 59km): 1886m Total Elevation. Start time from 07h00. Age 15 years and older
CLICK HERE to view map

30km Route (Actual 30.13km): 466m Total Elevation. Start time from 07h50. Age 15 years and older
CLICK HERE to view map

15km Route (Actual 14.93km): 236m Total Elevation. Start time from 08h30. Age 8 years and older
CLICK HERE to view map

The Bike4All track will be open all day for the kids to enjoy for free.

Prize Giving:
All winners need to be present for prize giving to claim prize. Prize giving will start at 12h00 and lucky draw to follow immediately after. Lucky draw tickets will be handed out, so ensure you listen to the announcement made. Prize money will be awarded to all distance winners in 2020, with men and women receiving equal amount. Up to a total of R30 000 to be won. There will be a Coke winners’ area at the finish for all winners to relax in with Peninsula Beverages Company sponsoring ice cold drinks to enjoy.

The Venue:
We are excited to take the event back to where it all begun, Banhoek Conservancy trails. Old Bethlehem Farm provides a beautiful back drop for this event. We urge you not to leave any valuables in sight in your cars. Use the bike Park after the race whilst you relax in the race village.

The info tent will be able to answer any last-minute questions or to purchase replacement MTB board (R50). The bikeshop will be at the start to assist with minor bike adjustments and will be selling any last-minute spares you may need. Seattle Coffee will be there for your caffeine fix with varies stalls which include pancakes, food, wine, beer, cooldrinks, biltong, massages, Influence Clothing, ice cream and lots more! There will be a bike park to ensure more room around the venue, we have introduced the Bike park where you will need to put your bike after you have finished the race. Then you can sit back, relax and enjoy all that the venue has to offer! Kids entertainment will allow the kids to have a fun time whilst mom and dad entry the live entertainment on offer. Bike4All will also be there bringing in the Bike4All mobile BMX track and marking out an easy and fun 500m and 1km route for the little ones to enjoy.

Social Media:
Facebook: @PedalPowerAssociation
Instagram: @PedalPowerAssociation
Twitter: @PedalPowerPPA
Use the hashtag #MTBChallenge2020

Go to Event Page

hubevents-80895-0-00151400-1575349367_thumb.jpg

hubevents-80895-0-14408600-1575349380_thumb.jpg

hubevents-80895-0-75259600-1575349390_thumb.jpg

post-80895-0-84367400-1575372230_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pedal Power Association

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad the race is still on the calendar. Last time I did it at the old venue it was mostly a boring traverse of farm roads through the vineyards. Nowadays that side of the mountain have so much single track the can slap together a few proper mtb routes!

Seems the Cycle Tour Trust have now abandoned the CTCT MTB, DC and Stellenbosch CT - passing all of them over to PPA to organise. I'm curious what the reasoning behind this move is. 

Glad the race is still on the calendar. Last time I did it at the old venue it was mostly a boring traverse of farm roads through the vineyards. Nowadays that side of the mountain have so much single track the can slap together a few proper mtb routes!

Seems the Cycle Tour Trust have now abandoned the CTCT MTB, DC and Stellenbosch CT - passing all of them over to PPA to organise. I'm curious what the reasoning behind this move is. 

My understanding:  All events was always owned by PPA and organized by cycle tour as PPA did not have the staff/experience,   Now that PPA got some more staff /experience they doing it themselves .

My understanding:  All events was always owned by PPA and organized by cycle tour as PPA did not have the staff/experience,   Now that PPA got some more staff /experience they doing it themselves .

And at a very good price point for PPA members (R100 cheaper than for non-ppa)

So this is the same route as Fedhealth ?

Did a quick comparison side by side... and majority of the route is the same, with some small differences here and there.

Still planning to do the race ;-)

post-65102-0-56551300-1576062267_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeoKnight

I'm keen too. I did the 2018 Fed Health (the one that was not a big cluster f...k) and it was a killer. Imagine that at the end of February when it's nice and toasty outside. 

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding:  All events was always owned by PPA and organised by cycle tour as PPA did not have the staff/experience,   Now that PPA got some more staff /experience they doing it themselves .

No affiliation with CTCT means no more 3rd medal? My OCD to collect these things is killing me!

So my toppie, now that he is retired, has more time on his hands and my folks are going down to CPT a bit earlier this year for CTCT and he is wanting to do this race. What can he expect ITO technicality? Remember he is a 63 y/o roadie that pushes my HR up on the tandem because he still has the desire to race. So while he won't be winning the race, he still wants to "race" it. 

Any tips will help. He is doing some 4 day MTB race in Oz later this year so he is trying to do more off road to experience different terrains.

New venue/routes -

15km,30km, 60km with 236m,466m,1886 elevation respectively.

60km route 1886m elevation.

Done this long loop (60km route) and parts thereof a couple of times and its not a breeze.

In my opinion they are going to lose entries. The 30km is too short and the 60km with 1,900 m climbing is too tough for the majority who previously did the CTCT MTB races. Those trails get dusty and hot in summer.

Further, didn't see the mtb mentioned on the CTCT web - only on PPA site;- so is it possible that (unless a hubber) many won't know about the event ? Did not see other event page for this (?)

ps. see you at the start line

New venue/routes -

Done this long loop (60km route) and parts thereof a couple of times and its not a breeze.

In my opinion they are going to lose entries. The 30km is too short and the 60km with 1,900 m climbing is too tough for the majority who previously did the CTCT MTB races. Those trails get dusty and hot in summer.

Further, didn't see the mtb mentioned on the CTCT web - only on PPA site;- so is it possible that (unless a hubber) many won't know about the event ? Did not see other event page for this (?)

its not part of ctct anymore, so will only be on ppa sites.

No one have spare money at moment....  so lot of us are only doing bucket events or events close by and free/cheap so hope there enough entries and not get cancelled 

Edited by Karman de Lange

New venue/routes -

Had a quick chat to orginizers

They said people complaint last time the routes was to difficult so they now brought in the 30km to cater for more people.  The 60km is still same elevation as previous routes , but they reduced the 40km to 30km with less elevation

Events are now more and more family oriented to get the families out and get them all to join for lekker ride together.

Edited by Karman de Lange

I've been thinking about a few things regarding this event. Somehow I think this will become the only MTB event to go along with both the CTCT and the SCT. Here are the reasons I believe that is the case and that there won't be a Stellenbosch MTB challenge later in the year.

1) The timing, The MTB Challenge is between the SCT and CTCT.

2) The name, calling the simply The MTB Challenge means it can apply to both SCT and CTCT.

3) The route, it incorporates sections features on the old Argus MTB as well as the old Stellenbosch MTB.

4) Dirtopia did say they are offloading the Stellenbosch MTB.

The one question I do have is are they still giving these away to people that complete both the 60km MTB and the CTCT?

post-38519-0-28545700-1578819019_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking about a few things regarding this event. Somehow I think this will become the only MTB event to go along with both the CTCT and the SCT. Here are the reasons I believe that is the case and that there won't be a Stellenbosch MTB challenge later in the year.

1) The timing, The MTB Challenge is between the SCT and CTCT.

2) The name, calling the simply The MTB Challenge means it can apply to both SCT and CTCT.

3) The route, it incorporates sections features on the old Argus MTB as well as the old Stellenbosch MTB.

4) Dirtopia did say they are offloading the Stellenbosch MTB.

The one question I do have is are they still giving these away to people that complete both the 60km MTB and the CTCT?

attachicon.gifIMG_20190713_115332.jpg

No trophies, since it's organised by ppa and not ctct trust