Training on different bike indoors compared to outdoors

DogMTB

I am currently using my partners bike permanently installed on our indoor trainer to avoid the hassle of having to install mine every time I want to ride.

My bike is a large frame and my partner's bike is a small frame. I have been training indoors for a while now (I thumb sucked the seat height and positioning) but I am worried that it will affect my training. I have zero issues with regards to fitment (knee pain etc.)

Does having a different position on the indoor bike make a big difference? In terms of muscle development, fitness etc?

I am currently using my partners bike permanently installed on our indoor trainer to avoid the hassle of having to install mine every time I want to ride.

My bike is a large frame and my partner's bike is a small frame. I have been training indoors for a while now (I thumb sucked the seat height and positioning) but I am worried that it will affect my training. I have zero issues with regards to fitment (knee pain etc.)

Does having a different position on the indoor bike make a big difference? In terms of muscle development, fitness etc?

Why not just take exact measurement off your bike of saddle height and fore/aft from bb so that you replicate exactly rather than thumb sucking?

Or use a calculator of your measurements: 

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

But to answer your question - If both frames don't have a similar geometry, like let's say the S frame is a 26er HT with a 100mm travel on the fork and the bike you use outside is a L 29er dual sus with a 140mm travel both front and rear then it may have an effect on how you position yourself on the bike. 

But, if the geometries are similar then you just have to get the fitment sorted and you'll be ok  :thumbup:

Why not just take exact measurement off your bike of saddle height and fore/aft from bb so that you replicate exactly rather than thumb sucking?

Planning on doing so. I just don't want to change anything else (e.g seat horizontal position) as its fitted for my partner.

Or use a calculator of your measurements: 

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

But to answer your question - If both frames don't have a similar geometry, like let's say the S frame is a 26er HT with a 100mm travel on the fork and the bike you use outside is a L 29er dual sus with a 140mm travel both front and rear then it may have an effect on how you position yourself on the bike. 

But, if the geometries are similar then you just have to get the fitment sorted and you'll be ok  :thumbup:

Thats a neat looking calculator. Going to try it out when I get home!

Planning on doing so. I just don't want to change anything else (e.g seat horizontal position) as its fitted for my partner.

to avoid having a pissed off partner, why not get a cheapie for the trainer ?

Just get another seatpost and saddle set up for you, when you want to do a workout, pull out your partners seatpost, insert yours to the correct height, do your workout, then put back original.

having a 2nd bike for the indoor trainer is the best for many reasons.

1. so much less hassle (compared to constantly swapping a bike out)

2. you now have an excuse to buy another bike!

3. anything after point 2 does not really matter

Edited by Furbz

+1!

Just get another seatpost and saddle set up for you, when you want to do a workout, pull out your partners seatpost, insert yours to the correct height, do your workout, then put back original.

to avoid having a pissed off partner, why not get a cheapie for the trainer ?

Not a bad idea. I want to get a super cheap road bike then I can use it on the trainer and for my yearly 94.7  ^_^

My bike is a large frame and my partner's bike is a small frame. I have been training indoors for a while now (I thumb sucked the seat height and positioning) but I am worried that it will affect my training. I have zero issues with regards to fitment (knee pain etc.)

Eazy Peazy Solution

Stop being lazy and sweat over your own bike, not your partners.

If you have zero issues then truck on. Your body seems to be less sensitive to your position (either you are young or flexible or both).

I use three different bikes on my indoor trainer and this does not affect my training or muscular development. It's the same as running swimming and cycling. The body adapts.