Hot Foot

dutz1962

Hi Guys

Of late have been battling with hotfoot. Have bought new shoes. Had a set up when I bought the MTB Yeti a few years ago. Ussually kicks in around 40 -50km mark and really is an issue. Have to clip out every now and again and shake my legs which helps for a while. Please help if you have had this issue and sorted it.  

Thanks Richard

Hi Guys

Of late have been battling with hotfoot. Have bought new shoes. Had a set up when I bought the MTB Yeti a few years ago. Ussually kicks in around 40 -50km mark and really is an issue. Have to clip out every now and again and shake my legs which helps for a while. Please help if you have had this issue and sorted it.

Thanks Richard

Did you have this before the new shoes?

Where exactly is your foot getting hot?

Both feet?

How long have you been using the new shoes.... maybe.... they just need to “wear in” a bit

• 1 year later...

So I am gonna try and revive this thread.

I am really struggling with hot foot, only my left foot though.

It is a long story. Just over a year ago I got a new pair on mtb shoes. Moved from Fizik to Specialized. My Fizik shoes were vrot, and also very tight (broad feet). I have a set of specialized road shoes and find them very comfy and never got hot foot from them before. Despite trying to match cleat positions from then on after about 3 hours on the bike I get agonising hot foot in my left foot. I find this rather bizarre as I didn’t get it from the tight Fizik shoes, and everything I read about hot foot always refers to tight shoes as a cause.

Fast forward and this has now become chronic. Kicks in after an hour and now I also get it on the road bike. I have moulded in-soles which I share between my shoes.

I am training for 36One, and the hot foot is becoming a serious liability. At this stage I am more worried about my foot for 36One than my legs.

I have had bike fits, have shoes that are not overly restrictive and custom moulded in-soles. I have moved my left cleat into all possible positions to no avail, currently they are slammed back as far as they can go. Running out of options here so any suggestions will be appreciated.

It is a long story. Just over a year ago I got a new pair on mtb shoes. Moved from Fizik to Specialized. My Fizik shoes were vrot, and also very tight (broad feet). I have a set of specialized road shoes and find them very comfy and never got hot foot from them before. Despite trying to match cleat positions from then on after about 3 hours on the bike I get agonising hot foot in my left foot. I find this rather bizarre as I didn’t get it from the tight Fizik shoes, and everything I read about hot foot always refers to tight shoes as a cause.

Fast forward and this has now become chronic. Kicks in after an hour and now I also get it on the road bike. I have moulded in-soles which I share between my shoes.

I am training for 36One, and the hot foot is becoming a serious liability. At this stage I am more worried about my foot for 36One than my legs.

I have had bike fits, have shoes that are not overly restrictive and custom moulded in-soles. I have moved my left cleat into all possible positions to no avail, currently they are slammed back as far as they can go. Running out of options here so any suggestions will be appreciated.

where on the foot does it start from ?

Have you measured the fore foot angle ? I had similar issues and needed leg length shim on one side and 2° tilt on the other side 

On the ball of my left foot, around the 3rd 4th toe

Does it go numb too?

Edit: if so, or even just to read, check out mortons neuroma. nerve/s get trapped and the foot just 'dies'. If so, wide shoes, and a small insert can do the trick

Edited by Chris_

You probably have Morton's Neuroma - I have or had the same issue between 5th (small toe) and 4th toe on left foot. Felt like a hot needle while riding. I was told basically its a nerve between the bones that is pinched every time you compress the ball of your foot. After about an hour the nerve becomes enflamed and this is where the pain onset is

In extreme case where one can have this pain permanently and feels like you always walking on a stone, they surgically remove the nerve, but this leaves a dead spot which you eventually get used to. I was going to do this but decided to try everything else before i let them cut it out.

I went to a podiatrist who made inserts for my cycling shoe, problem was she never done it for a cyclist before so we experimented as the 1st ones never worked. we eventually had a hollow cut out in the area below the 2 toes. This seems to work to a point. In addition i got some toe separator gel pads from Dischem and inserted them between the 5th & 4th toe to keep them apart while riding. I also left the last strap on my cycling shoe very loose.

This all seemed to work about 95% of the time so the next step i slammed my cleats all the way back towards my heels. But i had my bikes setup done again to make an adjustment on my saddle position with the new cleat position.

This seems to have solved the issue i haven't had pain since then.

Its actually a pain in da ass trying all these different remedies and people who have not experienced the pain have no idea how debilitating this can be.

I don't believe its cycling shoe fitment related - of course your shoes need to fit and not be too tight - but i also tried flats with different tekkies and skateboard shoes - this didn't work either

If it comes back i will certainly have the nerve removed surgically

You probably have Morton's Neuroma - I have or had the same issue between 5th (small toe) and 4th toe on left foot. Felt like a hot needle while riding. I was told basically its a nerve between the bones that is pinched every time you compress the ball of your foot. After about an hour the nerve becomes enflamed and this is where the pain onset is

In extreme case where one can have this pain permanently and feels like you always walking on a stone, they surgically remove the nerve, but this leaves a dead spot which you eventually get used to. I was going to do this but decided to try everything else before i let them cut it out.

I went to a podiatrist who made inserts for my cycling shoe, problem was she never done it for a cyclist before so we experimented as the 1st ones never worked. we eventually had a hollow cut out in the area below the 2 toes. This seems to work to a point. In addition i got some toe separator gel pads from Dischem and inserted them between the 5th & 4th toe to keep them apart while riding. I also left the last strap on my cycling shoe very loose.

This all seemed to work about 95% of the time so the next step i slammed my cleats all the way back towards my heels. But i had my bikes setup done again to make an adjustment on my saddle position with the new cleat position.

Its actually a pain in da ass trying all these different remedies and people who have not experienced the pain have no idea how debilitating this can be.

I don't believe its cycling shoe fitment related - of course your shoes need to fit and not be too tight - but i also tried flats with different tekkies and skateboard shoes - this didn't work either

Thanks, I was also leaning towards Morton’s neuroma, as this is becoming so chronic that I can feel me foot does not feel normal even when off the bike. Don’t have the stone sensation, but it is tingly a lot of the time.

Finally a good explanation on this. 

I'm almost constantly suffering with numb toes around  1 hour into a ride. Riding flats and I've now tried 4 different brands of shoes thinking it was length, width, height etc of the shoe box area. Even bought multiple different pairs of sock to see if the thickness, seams etc would make a difference.

The next step was getting the Specialized footbed, trying them in all my pairs of shoes, swopping between the innersoles of the different shoes...

Phew. I guess it is time for Mr. Podiatrist to do his thing.

For those in Gauteng, look up Michael Els Podiatrist. He is the guy I use. He used to look after one of the European cycling teams that used to come out here to train. 

Between his prosthetic soles and fine tuning my cleat position I pretty much eliminated foot pain.

One of the other issues you need to look into is inflammation of the Planta tendon, that can also cause hot spots.

I had similar problems in both feet, my toes would start hurting after a few hours and then progressively get worse until the pain becomes unbearable.

I tried various shoes and orthotics, orthotics with a metatarsal bar in the forefoot helped, but did not solve the problem.

The only solution that worked for me was to elongate the cleat attachment holes in the bottom of my shoes, this allowed me to move the cleat an additional 12mm backwards. Works like a charm, now no more toe pain.

The problem was genetics, my metatarsals have dropped in both feet and it’s right where the cleat is, creating pressure on the nerves which results in the most incredible toe pain....

I now use mtb shoes for both road and mtb, the 2 hole for cleats on mtb shoes are much easier to modify.

You might need to lower your saddle a little bit if you do the above

Finally a good explanation on this. 

I'm almost constantly suffering with numb toes around  1 hour into a ride. Riding flats and I've now tried 4 different brands of shoes thinking it was length, width, height etc of the shoe box area. Even bought multiple different pairs of sock to see if the thickness, seams etc would make a difference.

The next step was getting the Specialized footbed, trying them in all my pairs of shoes, swopping between the innersoles of the different shoes...

Phew. I guess it is time for Mr. Podiatrist to do his thing.

Make sure the Podiatrist looks at the problem from a cycling point of view

In my case the first diagnoses was from a walking point and all her assumptions were made after she video'd me walking on a treadmill and taking pressure readings while standing - End result the inserts never worked, in fact they added to the problem.

So a podiatrist who has worked with cyclists is where you wanna go

Make sure the Podiatrist looks at the problem from a cycling point of view

In my case the first diagnoses was from a walking point and all her assumptions were made after she video'd me walking on a treadmill and taking pressure readings while standing - End result the inserts never worked, in fact they added to the problem.

So a podiatrist who has worked with cyclists is where you wanna go

Thank you.

I booked with the guy that Ouzo suggested.

I really want this sorted out. It’s turning a fun 35km ride into a right pain after 15 to 20km

• 3 weeks later...

So had an appointment with the sports podiatrist today. Got fancy shmansy insoles. I already had moulded insoles but they were not supportive enough.

He had a good explanation as to why the hot foot got set off by moving from narrower to wider shoes. Reckons the narrower shoes were in fact supporting the foot from the side, and now with the wider shoes and not enough arch support on my current insoles the bones are pushing down on the nerve from above. I must be the only box around who got hot foot from wide shoes.....

Insoles cost double what my shoes did! If it works it will be worth it though.

Edited by Knersboy