Hot Foot

dutz1962

Thank you.

I booked with the guy that Ouzo suggested.

I really want this sorted out. It’s turning a fun 35km ride into a right pain after 15 to 20km

Any feedback on how it went? I'm starting to battle with my right foot now. Walking and cycling

Any feedback on how it went? I'm starting to battle with my right foot now. Walking and cycling

Struggling to get an appointment with him. Will try again when i work from home again in two weeks.

For now i switched around a bunch on insoles into various shoes and combining it with different thickness socks. Seems to be working as my numbness is almost gone. Not quite, but almost.

But... now my left hand started up. Left pinky and it’s not just on the bike. It’s on and off during the day. ????

Edited by Steady Spin

Struggling to get an appointment with him. Will try again when i work from home again in two weeks.

For now i switched around a bunch on insoles into various shoes and combining it with different thickness socks. Seems to be working as my numbness is almost gone. Not quite, but almost.

But... now my left hand started up. Left pinky and it’s not just on the bike. It’s on and off during the day.

Eish! Things are going pear shaped!

So had an appointment with the sports podiatrist today. Got fancy shmansy insoles. I already had moulded insoles but they were not supportive enough.

He had a good explanation as to why the hot foot got set off by moving from narrower to wider shoes. Reckons the narrower shoes were in fact supporting the foot from the side, and now with the wider shoes and not enough arch support on my current insoles the bones are pushing down on the nerve from above. I must be the only box around who got hot foot from wide shoes.....

Insoles cost double what my shoes did! If it works it will be worth it though.

Out of interest, will medical aid cover for the insoles?

• 1 month later...

So some feedback. Been using those crazy expensive insoles for a month now. First tried them on 1.5 hr rides on trainer, then that weekend did a 5 hour ride. I started feeling the onset of hot foot, but it never developed into the debilitating pain.

Fast forward a few weeks and the regime of sporadic icing and new insoles is paying dividends. Rode for 6.5hrs on Saturday and not a sniff.

What a relief, it is amazing how much nicer it is to ride without it feeling like my foot is being stabbed by an assegai.

So some feedback. Been using those crazy expensive insoles for a month now. First tried them on 1.5 hr rides on trainer, then that weekend did a 5 hour ride. I started feeling the onset of hot foot, but it never developed into the debilitating pain.

Fast forward a few weeks and the regime of sporadic icing and new insoles is paying dividends. Rode for 6.5hrs on Saturday and not a sniff.

What a relief, it is amazing how much nicer it is to ride without it feeling like my foot is being stabbed by an assegai.

Do you have a link or reference you can share?