Pyga Pascoe140 Re-Spray

Hi Hubbers

So I decided to re-spray the trusted taxi as I got some new components that didn't go so nicely with the yellow.

So after a lot of back and forth on color choices and frustrating a couple of my friends with my inability to make up my mind I decided on a color scheme.

Now that the difficult part was over I needed to start the project. I followed another hubber and his projects closely and asked 1 or 2 questions there and he was super helpful.

Please note this is NOT a how-to guide but mere a post on the process I followed.

A Pic of the original color scheme: (I have to show a pic of it as many people have only seen the back of these wonderful machines :ph34r: ).

post-126320-0-92802600-1575449145_thumb.jpg

I will be creating a couple posts for this project as I had to create this initial post 3452 times and will prob throw the laptop out the window if I lose it all again...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So obviously the current paint had to be removed first...

I wanted to take it in to get Hydro Blasted but the can of paint stripper in my garage was calling me and I just didnt have the patience to wait till Monday. Also, I want to see what the paint stripper will do to the current paint and if it is a case of just "rubbing off" the old paint.

Don't be fooled friends. The old paint DOES NOT RUB OFF!!!

So with my feet full of paint stripper and hand burning all over I managed to get to this after 2 days of paint stripping (I did have a kiddies party in between and in-laws visiting so it was short bursts of scraping every so often)

post-126320-0-02179900-1575451986_thumb.jpg

So I have seen lots of guys using masking tape to mask all the bearing holes etc. Me being a bit weird decided to step it up and print some removable caps with little handles for this.

Using the 3D printer I designed and printed the caps that will be placed inside all the holes.

attachicon.gif3d Printer.jpg

Hotend looks a lot like creality but the build plate and back end doesnt fit, unless heavily modded.

What are you using to create tack for the first layer? looks a bit like tar :)

Excellent! Respray projects are always fun to follow. Throw in some custom 3D printing (just because you can) and it should up the ante. Look forward to seeing the final product.

Any sneak peaks into the selected colour scheme?

Hotend looks a lot like creality but the build plate and back end doesnt fit, unless heavily modded.

What are you using to create tack for the first layer? looks a bit like tar :)

You are correct!

Its a Creality CR10 with a couple of mods on it.

I was printing it in ABS and to make sure it stick to buildplate I make my own slurry with old/unused ABS mixed with Acetone. Basically creates a liquid plastic that i paint on the plate. Once you heat the buld plate past 52degrees the Acetone evaporates and leaves behind a plastic layer that the ABS sticks to

Excellent! Respray projects are always fun to follow. Throw in some custom 3D printing (just because you can) and it should up the ante. Look forward to seeing the final product.

Any sneak peaks into the selected colour scheme?

Will be posting more pics once I come back from my meeting im about to run in to

Next was to have the decals printed that needs to be sprayed on. I emailed the guys at Pyga and asked them if they can send me the original artwork as I want to redo the frame.

They went ahead and sent me a PDF file with all the decals and where it needs to be placed. Brilliant!!

I edited the pdf and took out only the ones i wanted and went off to the printing shop to have vinyl printed.

Suprise surprise! The shops all come back to me saying that they cant print the small details I want and some of them quoted me R500 for it.

Luckily a buddy of mine had a contact and I sent it off to him. Not only was he a quarter of the price but he also printed all the small details without even telling me!! 1 Day later and I had all the stickers I needed.

post-126320-0-49476900-1575459406_thumb.jpg

If anyone interested you can contact him:

Marc Israel

marc@appleshift dot co dot za

Now I needed to get some paint.

Took some advice and went to the guys at economic motor spares in Obs. I took the part that I wanted to color match with and half an hour later I walked out with 2 cans of spray paint. The metallic green I needed and the satin clearcoat.

The primer was going to be a flat black and also will be used as the top coat.

I decided on a satin clearcoat as it falls in between a full gloss and a matt. I didnt want to go full gloss as I wanted the black to have a matt effect but I also didnt want to loose the metallic flake in the green that I got. And I am definitely NOT on a level where I can do different clearcoats.

Unfortunately in my rush to spray and gets things rolling I forgot to take pics of the frame before applying the masking vinyl.

So what i did was spray black 2 coats. Then I sprayed the green. Then applied vinyl over the green. Then sprayed 3 coats of black over all of it again.

So in the end removing the vinyl will open up the green spray job underneath. That I have pics of  :D  :D

post-126320-0-05632900-1575460280_thumb.jpg

post-126320-0-81060600-1575460249_thumb.jpg

Now I needed to get some paint.

Took some advice and went to the guys at economic motor spares in Obs. I took the part that I wanted to color match with and half an hour later I walked out with 2 cans of spray paint. The metallic green I needed and the satin clearcoat.

The primer was going to be a flat black and also will be used as the top coat.

I decided on a satin clearcoat as it falls in between a full gloss and a matt. I didnt want to go full gloss as I wanted the black to have a matt effect but I also didnt want to loose the metallic flake in the green that I got. And I am definitely NOT on a level where I can do different clearcoats.

Unfortunately in my rush to spray and gets things rolling I forgot to take pics of the frame before applying the masking vinyl.

So what i did was spray black 2 coats. Then I sprayed the green. Then applied vinyl over the green. Then sprayed 3 coats of black over all of it again.

So in the end removing the vinyl will open up the green spray job underneath. That I have pics of  :D  :D

attachicon.giftop logo.jpg

attachicon.gifmain logo.jpg

Hmmm, Do you have a diamond on that bike?

Now we needed to start the clearcoat process.

The clearcoat gets mixed with hardener so you have a tough finish that can last a long time ( I hope ).

Did 2 coats of clearcoat and ran out... So had to go back to shop and get more. Its almost like this stuff disappears before it hits the frame. And its sticky, very sticky. I think everything in mt garage has clearcoat on it now.

I also did a light sand with some very wet 2000grid sandpaper after the second coat.

post-126320-0-48340800-1575461787_thumb.jpg