Willie Smith Vlog: Bus takes out fellow rider

Vetplant

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I understand the comments above and apply the same logic to the below video the bakkie is completely at fault?

Rules of the road are keep left pass right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHD1twwS_Sk

Get well soon Linc!

Yep, what are you even doing on the N1 boet, you know car drivers on that stretch are driving recklessly, always on their phones, looking at Pinterest.

You should have known better.

And you should have anticipated the hit from behind and made way for the car instead then none of this would have happened.

crazy video 8(

A lot of experts commenting. First point the space left of the yellow line is for emergencies. You should by law cycle right of the yellow line. The bus should slow down and pass you when it is safe to do so. It appears if the bus purpisefully veered to the left and hit the cyclist on purpose. The bus did not suck him in. Bus driver should have ensured that he passes safely. By law the cyclist with 760 mm handlebar should have been right of the yellow line which will put the right of his handlebar 760 mm into the lane of the bus. The bus must allow enough distance from him to pass safely for the cyclist or other vehicle safety. Using a mounted go pro is not a problem at least you now have evidence. 150% bus drivers fault as his vehicles left side was over the yellow line while drifting to the left.

Edited by Transporter

From the pic Gummibear posted is that a phone in the driver's hand or a tree in the background. A phone will cause the bus to drift as it did as the driver was not watching the road. Just speculation but most of my close calls have been where drivers are looking at their phones and don't even see the guy on a bike

post-61451-0-68914600-1575570931_thumb.png

There are lost of opinions stated as facts here...

Simple risk assessment:

- How big is the risk of a collision for me on a specific piece of road? Where can I go to mitigate that risk?

- Hoe catastrophic would that be for me? On my bike I’m by far the softest target on the road.

EVERY TIME I’m out on the road riding, I choose to decrease my risk. Simple. I would NEVER ride that far right when there is so much space available to the left.

I’m not blaming anyone, but sometimes being right is less important than being safe.

This is a good point I feel - it's like looking left and right and exercising caution even if the robot is green because you never know when some idiot will shoot the red.

I wish I could say that I do this EVERY TIME as you emphasise - fact is I sometimes forget or am absorbed in my own thoughts and let the awareness of defensive riding / driving drops.

I think such lapses are more likely when out with mates, feeling happy and loving the ride which these guys clearly were doing until this happened.

To be absolutely clear - there is no way that this crash is Pantani's fault - the bus driver ought to be charged with attempted murder in my view.

There are lost of opinions stated as facts here...

Simple risk assessment:
- How big is the risk of a collision for me on a specific piece of road? Where can I go to mitigate that risk?
- Hoe catastrophic would that be for me? On my bike I’m by far the softest target on the road.

EVERY TIME I’m out on the road riding, I choose to decrease my risk. Simple. I would NEVER ride that far right when there is so much space available to the left.

I’m not blaming anyone, but sometimes being right is less important than being safe.

From the pic Gummibear posted is that a phone in the driver's hand or a tree in the background. A phone will cause the bus to drift as it did as the driver was not watching the road. Just speculation but most of my close calls have been where drivers are looking at their phones and don't even see the guy on a bike

Thats not a phone, he is holding a squirrel. Speculation helps on one.

Why?? Because I am pointing out that I think the cyclists in this group are also to blame for this accident? Yes, I also think the bus was to close.

I was taught from a young age to keep as far left as it is possible and that's what I believe in. Before I overtake another cyclist I check behind to see that there is no car approaching from the rear. I cannot understand why this is so difficult to understand. I feel very sorry for the cyclists involved as I see them as human beings with families, but what we as cyclists fail to realise is that motorists see us as cyclists and not as a father, or a mother or a child.

The guy using the camera: Clearly if you look at where he was riding to film, it is a distraction. If it was not a distraction, where is the rest of the video? The camera suddenly points down because he has to grab hold of his handle bars to steer clear of the accident. 

The people in this group were clearly riding next to each other on a few occasions, not only when overtaking. 

because you are trying to justify breaking the law and near manslaughter, which is abhorrent. You clearly don't know the rules of the road and you're a danger to society as well.

This incident just confirms again that I should always be very careful and aware when cycling on the road and never assume that all drivers of motor vehicles consider or care about me on my bicycle.  Always expect the worst and be prepared for what would happen if an approaching vehicle looses slight control or even ride close to me deliberately to make a stupid point.  It doesn't matter what is right or wrong, because mistakes will happen en laws will be broken, what firstly matters is my safety and the safety of others.  

Experience in driving a car or in cycling always includes awareness of what could go wrong and what mistakes the other person could potentially make and being prepared for such.  For example, when riding over a green light, one should not assume that it is always completely safe to do so, I always slow down and look out just in case there is some reckless driver coming from the other direction.  You have to always think for the other driver and be prepare for his potential mistakes!

I hope we all learn from this and ride more aware and always think about the worst scenario, because accidents will happen and people will make mistakes and loose control.