Riding in/around Mossel Bay

Hello Ruan

Hey guys,

So I will be heading down with my soon to be wife's family to Mossel Bay and I want to make use of this time to maybe go riding a few times. I have went through the forum and Google maps and have found trails here and there. But I have never been in that side of our country or even close to it either, not familiar with it whatsoever.

So, I was hoping you guys could share your knowledge with me with trails that are in and around Mossel Bay not too far away 20 - 30mins drive is doable.

Thanks a lot and all of your responses will be very appreciated and will help me with my planning :clap:

Cape Pioneer begins at the point in Mossel Bay, you can definitely follow some of these.

The Shell petrol station in Hartenbos opposite Langeberg Mall used to have maps of the various trails in the area. Not sure if they still do, maybe the future in laws can pop in and check.

I have done a good ride from the said shell, using the old roads that run pretty much parallel to the M2 towards George, and then doing the Outeniqua Pass

Hey guys,

So I will be heading down with my soon to be wife's family to Mossel Bay and I want to make use of this time to maybe go riding a few times. I have went through the forum and Google maps and have found trails here and there. But I have never been in that side of our country or even close to it either, not familiar with it whatsoever.

So, I was hoping you guys could share your knowledge with me with trails that are in and around Mossel Bay not too far away 20 - 30mins drive is doable.

Thanks a lot and all of your responses will be very appreciated and will help me with my planning :clap:

Johnny Koen cycles next to the Agri co-op in Mosselbay do rides every day, be it gravel or tar. Just go around by their shop and find out more from them about from where they ride.

Garden Route Trail Park is a 1 hour drive from Mosselbay but absolutely worth the drive! I'll be in Vleesbaai and planning to go there at least 2 or 3 times in the three weeks I'm there

https://www.visitmosselbay.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Cycling-Mossel-Bay.pdf

The road from Bottlierskop to Kleinsorgfontein has been closed. Also from Hartebeeskuil dam to Zingela there's a lock on the gate . Private game reserves. But it still leaves you with plenty of options.

Three races that you can do. Klipheuwel starts at Boplaas in Kleinbrak 24 th ?  Monties Mtb on 26 Dec from Hartenbos. And the Grootbrak Grabadoo on the 31st in Grootbrak.

Or you get on your bike in the morning point it inland and ask the many MTB'ers you'll meet on the road where they're heading.

I've never done Harkerville , MTB Trail Park or Swartbergpas. I'm hoping to tick off at least two this Dec.

Edited by Blokman

I've never done Harkerville , MTB Trail Park or Swartbergpas. I'm hoping to tick off at least two this Dec.

Harkerville is a definite must do, some tougher and some easier routes, but the views are out of this world.

Go to Voorbaai Truckstop ( Shell ) and speak to the owner, Johannes. They have group mtb rides from the truckstop every morning.

Usually at around 6:00 - 6:30, typically around 40Km's. Different routes.

Also some nice trails at Eight Bell's, not far from Mosselbaai.