Darkhorse Wheels

Andreas_187

I'm looking for a set of 50mm carbon road wheels. Does anyone have any experience with Darkhorse. They seem like the only reasonably priced wheels available locally.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is reasonably priced to you?

I can suggest you contact Reon Smal @ Sportopia Cycles, Briar str Salt River. (o seven one 6060426)

He stocks the "SALT" carbon wheels, and they are decently priced, carry a good warranty and is very good value for money.

I am running a set on the 38/50mm combo, and so far I am very happy with them.

http://vsibikes.com/product/salt-carbon-50mm-38mm-wheelset-4/

Edited by Wannabe

I've seen complaints on the hub about these being very flexible. Perhaps do a search.

From my understanding, these are generic Chinese wheels that have been packaged and branded with Dark Horse.

A lot of people have been happy with them too.

What is reasonably priced to you?

I can suggest you contact Reon Smal @ Sportopia Cycles, Briar str Salt River. (o seven one 6060426)

He stocks the "SALT" carbon wheels, and they are decently priced, carry a good warranty and is very good value for money.

I am running a set on the 38/50mm combo, and so far I am very happy with them.

http://vsibikes.com/product/salt-carbon-50mm-38mm-wheelset-4/

Thanks.

Reasonably priced would mean I'm not prepared to pay 40/50k for a set of Zipps/Enve etc. The Darkhorse are 15k so that's kinda my target

I've seen complaints on the hub about these being very flexible. Perhaps do a search.

From my understanding, these are generic Chinese wheels that have been packaged and branded with Dark Horse.

A lot of people have been happy with them too.

Yes, they are Chinese (aren't they all!) rims built up here in Cape Town. They are also tubeless which is a definite requirement.

Thanks.

Reasonably priced would mean I'm not prepared to pay 40/50k for a set of Zipps/Enve etc. The Darkhorse are 15k so that's kinda my target

The Salts are also tubeless ready wheels, and only slightly more expensive than the Darkhorse wheels.

Go and have a look at the Salt's, you just might be surprised.

I have only heard good things about the Salts from Reon  - guy backs up his products. Give him a shout and see what he can do for you. Definitely falls within your price range.

I have a set of dark horse wheels. Absolute rubbish!

I was looking to upgrade the wheels on my bike and didn`t see need to spend that extra on the more well known brands, as I just race my friends around town and had a budget that didn`t suit those price carbon wheels. Thinking of it now, I would have been better of spending that extra money. 

I`ve already had to buy a new rear rim (the new rim looks different to the front one, so they obviously had a problem) the spokes brake from time to time witch is very annoying! (and I am not heavy around 68kg). Unfortunately I`m in to deep already with these wheels and I am now married to them. And I can`t sh!# for them second hand. And as always there is the fine print that you never read.... so dark horse didn`t want do do a warranty. 

And yes, they do flex a lot....

The saying goes, you get what you pay for....

You be better of buying something ells. 

i'll keep mentioning these guys...

https://icancycling.com/collections/aero-series-wheelset/products/aero-50-wheelset#

I ordered my 2nd set of wheels from them last week Wednesday, it shipped on Friday and arrived JHB on Sunday. Cleared customs today and should have them tomorrow.

+/- R11600 including shipping with RPX

Then R360 for clearing with Linex and vat of +/- R1300. You can save abit on vat if you speak to Ican :whistling: :whistling:

Have done around 6000km on my first set with no issues at all.

Had a pair of 36mm on my bike for the last 3-4 years with no problems at all, I`m about 70kg`s and do all the climbs around the Argus route and haven`t felt anything untoward with flexing, was thinking about changing to 50`s and wouldn`t be against using them again.

Roen has a great set up together with a lot of knowledge. We have sent a couple of our Concept Speed (R40 disc brake & R60 rim brake) wheels down to him. Pull in and have a chat with Roen RE the options available. 

Anyone have info/experience with Flite Carbon wheels? Pricing? Contacts? Some of the Team Mad Macs guys race those wheels so they can’t be bad ????‍♂️