Darkhorse Wheels

Andreas_187

I am interested in getting the DH 50 mm CTR tubeless wheels. Would love to hear any feedback from Users on durability, performance in crosswinds (up to about 30 km/h), tubeless tyre use, hubs, etc. 

These wheels fit my budget and I prefer buying from a SA company with good customer service than direct from China. 

Thanks 

Edited by PowerB

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, PowerB said:

I am interested in getting the DH 50 mm CTR tubeless wheels. Would love to hear any feedback from Users on durability, performance in crosswinds (up to about 30 km/h), tubeless tyre use, hubs, etc. 

These wheels fit my budget and I prefer buying from a SA company with good customer service than direct from China. 

Thanks 

Bought a set of those wheels  weeks ago so early days yet. My first pair of carbon wheels so my points of comparison are entry level bontrager oem paradigms and a pair of aeolus comp rim brake :faux" carbon wheels (essentially a good quality ally rim with a 50mm carbon faering attached).

Customer service was excellent and friendly. Plentiful stock and I watched my wheels being lovingly packed.

They behave well in cross winds although I wou;ldn't like to be caught in a proper gale with them and I am a heavier rider.

A vast improvement in stiffness and also comfort over the others I've experienced which I didn't expect.

And of course there's a bling factor of 50mm rims which just makes one feel like a proper cyclist which in turn makes you faster.

I think it's a no brainer because there is nothing even remotely close to this quality at this price point  and I advise a trigger pull before CTCT.

31 minutes ago, Mamil said:

And of course there's a bling factor of 50mm rims which just makes one feel like a proper cyclist which in turn makes you faster.

Irrefutable. 

@PowerB I had a set of 50mm rims for a little over a year. I loved them, but did have a minor issue with one of the antibite splines breaking. It's pretty much as described in this review:

Darkhorse were very good about it and replaced it with a brand new hub at no extra cost. I only sold the wheels on because, well, I sold the bike. I'm pretty sure I put the cassette on correctly but I guess there's a slim chance I didn't and this caused the damage to the spline. 

My overall take on them was that they were a great looking, weight saving wheel that are moderate to good in the reliability category, and great for the price point. 

11 hours ago, PowerB said:

performance in crosswinds (up to about 30 km/h)

Unless you are tiny, you shouldn't worry about stability of deepsections in crosswinds too much.
If you're talking about performance as in do they tack into the wind (negative drag) then okay, that'll be wheel specific...

Must say, I had the 1st gen DH wheels and they were fantastic. What I liked and still do is their honesty in the process. I have come across too many brands popping up that say they have UCI approval, this that and the forth. But they will never be clear on where the wheels are made, how they are made, substantiate anything they say on social media & their sites. But you give it a brief google search and aliexpress will be the first site that pops up.

So its SUPER refreshing to know there is a local company out there that is transparent about their process. But I will say, they need to change their hubs if they have not already. Those bitex things were terrible. I have some TUNE hubs just waiting to be paired with some rims. 

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Seems like the DH guys really provide excellent service and for the price these are decent wheels. My only concern would be the Bitex hubs which was also highlighted above - it will probably require regular inspection/service. 

Winspace hyper 50s for the win. Theres someone on bikehub selling them. Have a look on youtube for reviews but so far soo gooood!

1 hour ago, Mopkop said:

Winspace hyper 50s for the win. Theres someone on bikehub selling them. Have a look on youtube for reviews but so far soo gooood!

I have one eye on those Hypers... It's slightly above my budget though.