Keeping it real with Steel.....Scelerat is going back

Waxhead

Personally, I prefer tougher casings over inserts. The result ito weight is the same, more or less, between the 2 systems. Tougher casings are always preferable in my opinion. 

Only issue is that you don't really get tougher casings for tyres used for marathon riding....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be getting some cush core inserts when I do a carbon wheel-build later this year - a bit expensive but the reviews are good. My experience with FOAMO has been less than impressive. I have found my sealant clogs up much more, and it is much less effective at sealing any punctures.

100% agreed. Plus, you can feel them when it gets a bit loose inside. 

Only issue is that you don't really get tougher casings for tyres used for marathon riding....

YES!!! Bloody hell, this infuriates me. We're limited to the semi-slicks if we want fast rolling with good protection. Why not an Ikon in DD casing, or a Ground Control in Black Diamond? 

Yes I think I agree. Been looking at them all morning and wondering home comfortable they are. I like touring so they probably won't suit me. I use the Grid casings. 

If you use Spaz tyres, the Slaughter may be up your street as it comes in a DH casing, afaik. Yeah, it's a fair bit heavier than the GRID version, but it'll be the same weight as the Grid and FOAMO AND give you better puncture protection. 

Personally, I prefer tougher casings over inserts. The result ito weight is the same, more or less, between the 2 systems. Tougher casings are always preferable in my opinion. 

the inserts is something relatively new that i am trying because of the very low tire pressure i run. The Barzo's have worked fine (Did Atta, Imbuko,Munga on them) but have my 2.6 Argo's as backup for Epic if there is a problem

The insets play havoc with Stan's, so i go 4 cups sealant per wheel. Will be first Epic using them and if they cause **** i will ditch straight away!

The insets play havoc with Stan's, so i go 4 cups sealant per wheel. Will be first Epic using them and if they cause **** i will ditch straight away!

Not just stans, either. But yeah, the benefits at very low pressures are there (tested, and it'll save a tyre and rim if something hits the fan) and you're not exactly running tyres that have strong casing options.

what does your current track record look like RE trashing tyres?

what does your current track record look like RE trashing tyres?

very seldom have any tire issues - never had a side wall issue. Use Stan flow rims with Hope pro4 SS spec Hubs.

Never had one puncture over 5 Epics - on my SS bike u pick your lines all the time........never ust bash thru like most guys do on a full sus

very seldom have any tire issues - never had a side wall issue. Use Stan flow rims with Hope pro4 SS spec Hubs.

Never had one puncture over 5 Epics - on my SS bike u pick your lines all the time........never ust bash thru like most guys do on a full sus

Your teeth thank you for picking the smoothest lines. ????