[Event] Gauteng XCO Cup Series

Red Bird

Event Name: Gauteng XCO Cup Series
When: 18 January 2020
Where: XCOSA Bike Park (Voortrekker Monument), Gauteng
Category: MTB

2020 GC XCO Series dates. The 2020 GC XCO season starts with a bang on 18 Jan 20! With 2020 being an Olympic year, the peak racing season is somewhat condensed to ensure maximum potential until May 2020 for accruing UCI points to our Elite riders. We are in the process of finalising race tracks for the GC events and have a tender procedure we follow for event organisers to ensure events comply with the physical and technical demand pertaining to provincial type events.

GC XCO Cup Series & SA XCO Cup seeding. Please take note that results of all GC XCO Cup events will be incorporated into the SA XCO Cup Series seeding for determining starting order of these national events. Although the GC XCO Cup results will not directly impact on the SA XCO Log, it will contribute indirectly in that it will offer better starting positions in SA XCO Cup races and consequently a much higher probability for better race results!

GC XCO Colours. All point towards 2020 being the 1st year for rewarding excellent mtb performance with prestigious provincial colours. The GC colours criteria document has been drafted and will finally be considered for approval end November 2019. The premise, however, is that GC Colour nominations are dependent on regional colours as well as nomination by the respective regional mtb and executive committees.

More details (route, start times, laps...) will be posted closer to each event...

Go to Event Page

hubevents-39356-0-68553900-1576077351_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Track for the first XCO introduction league race will be ready for practice from 6 January... It is a less demanding track to ease into the racing season. 4,2km / 97m ascent per lap

post-39356-0-57487500-1578318132_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Foxy_Roxy

2020 GC XCO League #1 on 18 Jan 20 - in other words: "The exhilaration never stops ..."

> Online entries www.cyclingsa.com (closing today)

> Late entries & number pick-up at venue on race day (late entries R250 + R50)

> Vital stats of track: 4,2 km, 97 m vertical ascend per lap

> NO jumps, drops, rock gardens this time ...

> Enquiries Pierre - 0797171209

post-39356-0-90238500-1579074273_thumb.jpeg

No changes to age group start times, however the amount of laps has increased for some groups... Course profile to follow soon.

post-39356-0-59726200-1580125965_thumb.jpeg

Route is the same as previously, only in reverse. This increases the technical demand:

1) start off with technical climb which will spike your heart-rate

2) recover on a tar section

3) the dragged out climb along the fence is now a fast downhill

4) more punchy climbs

5) A-line drop-off and gap jump / B-line with logs to slow you down

6) sprint to the finish line on a slight incline

post-39356-0-06532600-1580128399_thumb.jpeg

It was a scorcher. More than 30 riders in the youth category - a record number of participants. Masters and vets categories also increased a bit in numbers. More competitors, more fun!

Edited by Foxy_Roxy

• 2 weeks later...

Please take note that the number of laps as indicated can still be amended should circumstances require it. Also, should the minimum numbers as prescribed by CSA/UCI not enter in your category, you may be required to race with the next stronger category.

The race track for Race #1 looks as follows, offering 152m of vertical ascend on each 4,25km lap. Nippers and Sprogs will race on a shortened track of 3,4km offering 120m vertical ascend per lap:

Mountain bike XCO is an extreme sport and the event will continue even if it rains - cancelling the event will only be considered in the case of life threatening conditions for contestants.

post-39356-0-98163800-1582169886_thumb.png

post-39356-0-15824100-1582169931_thumb.png