UPS for Kickr

Zatek

I want to know what size and type UPS should I buy if I want to train on my Kickr for at least 1.5 hours if there is loadshedding.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it would even work you'd need an inverter. A 2kva ups which is the biggest you get would prolly run it for 10 minutes, assuming the ups can handle the current draw.

Rather invest in a generator, it will cost less in the long run.

Alternatively, if a generator is not an option, consider a Tacx Neo 2. They don't need external power to operate – the only function that you lose is the "downhill freewheel" function which most trainers don't have anyway.

Alternatively, if a generator is not an option, consider a Tacx Neo 2. They don't need external power to operate – the only function that you lose is the "downhill freewheel" function which most trainers don't have anyway.

Think the Tacx Bushido can also run without power, if I am not mistaken...

Yes the Neo works well through a power failure, however make sure you have something to power your fan.  I lasted maybe 10 minutes before I had to get off from overheating.

Think the Tacx Bushido can also run without power, if I am not mistaken...

That's what I heard too, and also dropped a few subtle hints hoping Santa would hear. LOL

Ups can run as long as you want(afford) it .. mine runs the whole house for 24hrs easy..  but to answer your question

Check the amp  and volt rating on the power supply , times the them with each other and times with 4hrs to give you a safe 2hr UPS size

I'm to lazy to go check mines psu now.

Googled it .. its 60w (12v*5A) .. so 2000VA UPS is about 15 hrs in theory (2000/60 ->33hrs *50%) (work on 50% true capacity)

Edited by Karman de Lange

Yes the Neo works well through a power failure, however make sure you have something to power your fan. I lasted maybe 10 minutes before I had to get off from overheating.

Good point.

Ups can run as long as you want(afford) it .. mine runs the whole house for 24hrs easy.. but to answer your question

Check the amp and volt rating on the power supply , times the them with each other and times with 4hrs to give you a safe 2hr UPS size

Googled it .. its 60w (12v*5A) .. so 2000VA UPS is about 15 hrs in theory (2000/60 ->33hrs *50%) (work on 50% true capacity)

Running a house for 24 hours is not a ups. That is literally a functional impossibility.

Outside is always 1st choice but for safety reasons I don't cycle when its dark or colder than 2 degrees

I check the LS schedule, if power off in morning, train in the evening.  If off in the evening, train in the morning

Ups can run as long as you want(afford) it .. mine runs the whole house for 24hrs easy.. but to answer your question

Check the amp and volt rating on the power supply , times the them with each other and times with 4hrs to give you save 2hr ups size

Hmm. I've got 20Kwh of lifpo batteries, cooking and heating is on gas and water is heated with a heat pump... and I can't run 24 hours on the battery pack. You've either got a very small house or you're only running lights and electronics or you've got one heck of a UPS.