residential private security services

Capricorn

Hi all

Anyone have insights into the use of contracted private security services for roving patrols and armed response in non-estate based residential neighbourhoods?

In Cape Town, who are reputable service providers?

What are the costs involved and level of service provided?

As an example of a such an arrangement that i've come across, is the Llandudlo rate payers and home owners group. They apparently employ private security services in conjunction with their neighbourhood watch. The city of cape town refers to the area as a special rates area, in that the residents pay for the service via a surcharge on their rates accounts. I have contacted the rate payers group for more info, and am awaiting a response.

In the interim anyone else involved in something similar?

My old suburb in kzn hired private security to do this. We paid them a monthly fee for this. It wasn't mandatory for any household but as contributors we got signs to put outside saying we were patrolled by xyz security company. The council gave us zero concessions

My old suburb in kzn hired private security to do this. We paid them a monthly fee for this. It wasn't mandatory for any household but as contributors we got signs to put outside saying we were patrolled by xyz security company. The council gave us zero concessions

Thanks Stretch. Is that service still currently contracted out? What were the costs then?

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else paying for private security in non-gate communities? Let me know what you are paying and the success and shortcomings of the service.

The do it in my area in Hilton KZN.

They go by the name of Street Hawks.

Google    Street Hawks Hilton will give a little info

The do it in my area in Hilton KZN.

They go by the name of Street Hawks.

Google    Street Hawks Hilton will give a little info

Thanks Mousea.

I've read over the info available on the website, and I see they rely on funding directly from residents via debit orders. Curious to know if they ever considered use of SRAs (special rating areas), assuming bylaws like those exist in that municipality, and if so,why were direct funding preferable to SRAs. I can think of a few reasons, but would be good to hear from the residents up there.

Edited by Capricorn

sjc security does it in our neighborhood. They have a security guard and camera at every entrance. they added a R200 increase to all sjc armed response subscribers to fund this outing.