Article: "Why Cyclists and Triathletes Need to Stop Talking About Base Training"

JK7

Many triathletes subscribe to the 80/20 rule and in fact if they actually looked at their HIIT percentage it is more like 90/10 and should consider doing more HIIT workouts in the limited time during the week. The trend is now moving to more polarized and pyramidal training to get the best results for time strapped athletes.

Edited by shaper

Many triathletes subscribe to the 80/20 rule and in fact if they actually looked at their HIIT percentage it is more like 90/10 and should consider doing more HIIT workouts in the limited time during the week. The trend is now moving to more polarized and pyramidal training to get the best results for time strapped athletes.

Many people get the 80/20 principle wrong. They think it’s 80% at low intensity and 20% at high intensity. A leading researcher on the 80/20 rule says that is is volume-based and not time-based. 8/10 workouts/sessions should be at low intensity and 2/10 are at high intensity. As you correctly state, time-based would give one closer to a 90/10 split.

From the Apple Podcast subscription:

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000425136053

I’ll try find the link on their website, but in the meantime the links to the various apps can be found on this page:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/coach-blog/announcing-the-trainingpeaks-coachcast/

Not saying I disagree with the base training approach, but rather clarifying that some people, myself included, misunderstood the 80/20 rule.