Wahoo Tickr Strap - rust

CScriba

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else encountered rusting on the Tickr belt clips?

I took mine off yesterday, and noticed that one of the 'button clips' have rusted and broken completely off.

The strap is just shy of a year old now, so i expect normal wear and tear, but a complete failure seems odd?

I used my (prev) Tickr for many years without this type of issue. 

Do you wash and dry it properly after every workout, especially the metal parts?

Edited by Pieter-za

You have to wash it after using it otherwise your salty sweat just sits there and corrodes it.  I got it replaced under warranty and have been religiously rinsing it out ever since.   

Yip, sounds unusual. But clean it every so often, just a simple hand wash in the basin after 5 or so rides doesn't take much effort.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else encountered rusting on the Tickr belt clips?

I took mine off yesterday, and noticed that one of the 'button clips' have rusted and broken completely off.

The strap is just shy of a year old now, so i expect normal wear and tear, but a complete failure seems odd?

Drop wahoo SA guys a email, their after sales service is normally very good, this don't sound normal

I normally do either rinse, or wash it with some light soap.

Might give them a shout and see what they say. Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I just had my Tickr fail on me. I suspected water damage from sweat. Originally thought it's just a dead battery, but when I opened it, I saw droplets on the inside of the battery casing and a new battery didn't do anything.

Super impressed once again with the Wahoo after sales service and quick response to replace the faulty unit. They're sending me a new one literally less than 24 hours after logging the issue with them! They requested that I smash the old one and send a pic as "proof of destruction" to make sure I'm not taking chances of scoring a free Tickr. When I smashed it, I found the inside looking like this.. Quite shocked that sweat could corrode the inside like this in less than 3 months!

post-119556-0-96815900-1591276712_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I just had my Tickr fail on me. I suspected water damage from sweat. Originally thought it's just a dead battery, but when I opened it, I saw droplets on the inside of the battery casing and a new battery didn't do anything.

Super impressed once again with the Wahoo after sales service and quick response to replace the faulty unit. They're sending me a new one literally less than 24 hours after logging the issue with them! They requested that I smash the old one and send a pic as "proof of destruction" to make sure I'm not taking chances of scoring a free Tickr. When I smashed it, I found the inside looking like this.. Quite shocked that sweat could corrode the inside like this in less than 3 months!

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 14.57.37.jpeg

Instead of creating a new thread, I would like to add my voice of appreciation. 

I started having issues with my tickr, tried to resolve it, got great advice from Wahoo/ikhambi distribution. When that didn't help, they phoned me and told me that a new tickr is on its way.

They could have tried to play hard ball regarding the warranty (my unit was on the edge of the warranty period), but they didn't. This is how you keep customers.

Quite shocked that sweat could corrode the inside like this in less than 3 months!

I recently had to have a corroded bottle cage riv nut replaced which I'm convinced is the result of extra activity on the IDT.

Seems sweat can cause some quick damage to metals.

imagine dunking it it salty fluid daily and leaving it to rust. Sweating on something is not far off.