Shimano SPD 520 pedal repair

Nestus

I have a bit of play on the one pedal and it squeaks a bit as well.  How can i fix the play and stop the squeaking?

Pedals are only about 6 months old and not worth replacing yet. 

I have a bit of play on the one pedal and it squeaks a bit as well.  How can i fix the play and stop the squeaking?

Pedals are only about 6 months old and not worth replacing yet. 

Did you buy them new 6 months ago? They really shouldn't be giving issues already. Have you considered going back to the LBS(assuming you bought them new from your LBS) and querying the issues?

That tool can be a bugger to find, but I saw it on Evobikes the other day so you are in luck, although the postage will cost more than the tool.

return the pedals under warranty or take them to your LBS for a grease and reassembly.

my old xt pedals with many thousands of km's on them were almost as good as new after a regrease.  did not cost much either, IIRC 

You will need that tool as well as a 10 and 6 or 7 (can't remember which one) ring spanner to tighten the nuts on the axle once you get the body off...easy enough to do and if you are a do it yourselfer then the took is a worthwhile buy.

Did you buy them new 6 months ago? They really shouldn't be giving issues already. Have you considered going back to the LBS(assuming you bought them new from your LBS) and querying the issues?

Yes, bought them brand new when i bought my shoes.  I will make contact with the store and query the issue.

If only 6 months I will get a warranty replacement (they should have at least a year). Hope you don't use a pressure washer on your bike.

I've just picked up my pedal tool (Shimano TL-PD40) today. My LBS found one for me (very cheap, was R50 or something). Any LBS should be able to find them for you (if they can source any other Shimano bits). You will also need a 10mm and 7mm spanner.

The tools also have markings for which way around to loosen the sleeve-nut holding everything in the pedal (two sides are different directions like pedal/crank threads). Taking it apart is very easy, I'm just a bit worried about the seal on the axle which seems to take a proper beating when you open it (turned out OK putting it back together again, suspect the seal is just very old anyways).

Make sure you know what goes where and which way around as you take it apart. I just lined up the bits as I took it apart. Note that there are two plastic chamfered bushes/spacers and a cone nut (10mm), very important to put them the right way back.

Think I've given some 7 year old PD-M520 pedals way more life and removed all that play.