WTB KOM Tough I29 or Stans MK3 or ?

Mtree

Hi all, I am currently in a bit of a dilemma.
I am not sure on what rims to go for on a new wheel build, I have read some rather shocking reviews on the current Stans MK3 range. I am currently riding the original crests and they are bulletproof, but looking for a wider rim to take advantage of 2.4" and up tires.

Will be 32H rims, Shimano SLX/XT hubs, due to easy servicing and reliability.
They need to withstand reasonable abuse, not doing any downhill, jumps or anything like that, single track and just general MTB.
Need to be able to carry a ± 100Kg rider without any issues.
Will be tubeless.
25mm and wider internal width is preferable.
Rim weight is not an issue!

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated, as I am at a loss.

Current options are:
Stans Arch MK3
Stans Flow Ex
WTB KOM Tough I29
Anything I should be considering?

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for the WTB KOM Tough i29

They might be slightly heavier than the stans but they are made for durability. I have one of them on my rear. WTB doesn't make crap products.

The printing/sticker on the WTB rim is part of the rim and won't come off. The stans rims just have normal vinal stickers on them.

Go for the WTB KOM Tough i29

They might be slightly heavier than the stans but they are made for durability. I have one of them on my rear. WTB doesn't make crap products.

The printing/sticker on the WTB rim is part of the rim and won't come off. The stans rims just have normal vinal stickers on them.

Awesome, thanks man.

Definitely looks like a solid product!

Any issues with tubeless mountings or anything of that nature?

Lyne amp 30 I am around 100kg and have them on my HT, low tyre pressure (1.5bar) and ride like an idiot. Have not been able to dent or buckle them over a year on them and except for the bearings nothing else was touched.

O ja and the weight is quite good under 1800g

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

Lyne amp 30 I am around 100kg and have them on my HT, low tyre pressure (1.5bar) and ride like an idiot. Have not been able to dent or buckle them over a year on them and except for the bearings nothing else was touched.

Awesome, thanks!

I will definitely give them a look, weight isn't an issue (I am no Ninja :ph34r:)...

1.5 Bar on which tyres? You are brave riding at that pressure, I haven't ventured lower than 1.8 Bar and I am comfortable there.

Any reason for such low pressures?

:lol:

My mate has managed to dent his so much that he got an offer to test the carbon rims. Another mate has also dented them pretty darn extensively, so they're good, but not indestructable. I'd still definitely have the AMPs over the Flow mk 3's or any of the Stans mk3 options though, to be honest. They're cheap and Dayle's backup is excellent. 

OP - wtb i29 tough. Strong AF and won't break the bank. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

My mate has managed to dent his so much that he got an offer to test the carbon rims. Another mate has also dented them pretty darn extensively, so they're good, but not indestructable. I'd still definitely have the AMPs over the Flow mk 3's or any of the Stans mk3 options though, to be honest. They're cheap and Dayle's backup is excellent. 

Stans are long gone from the list!

Lyne are heavier than WTB I29s, so surprised he dented them!

What was he riding over?

Probably going to go WTB, they seem to have a positive review from all that have ridden them.

Edited by M@tree

Stans are long gone from the list!

Lyne are heavier than WTB I29s, so surprised he dented them!

What was he riding over?

Probably going to go WTB, they seem to have a positive review from all that have ridden them.

Pretty much everything, but mostly rock and root. TM, conters, jonkers, Tokai etc.

Also. Weight doesn't always equal strength. The type of alu used makes a big difference. Also, run proper pressures.

Pretty much everything, but mostly rock and root. TM, conters, jonkers, Tokai etc.

Also. Weight doesn't always equal strength. The type of alu used makes a big difference. Also, run proper pressures.

Pressure on a 2.4" Maxxis Ardent ?

Around 1.8 Bars?

6069 is supposedly stronger than 6061 and does yield up to a 40% increase in strength, but that change clearly didn't help stans in their pursuit of better rims, also their internal ribbing and a very flat rim clearly didn't help.

Pressure on a 2.4" Maxxis Ardent ?

Around 1.8 Bars?

6069 is supposedly stronger than 6061 and does yield up to a 40% increase in strength, but that change clearly didn't help stans in their pursuit of better rims, also their internal ribbing and a very flat rim clearly didn't help.

Depends on your weight, casing strength (exo / exo plus etc) terrain that you ride and how you ride. 

Only way is to test. When you're pinging your rims on rocks and roots (you'll hear it) then increase slightly. 

Awesome, thanks!

I will definitely give them a look, weight isn't an issue (I am no Ninja :ph34r:)...

1.5 Bar on which tyres? You are brave riding at that pressure, I haven't ventured lower than 1.8 Bar and I am comfortable there.

Any reason for such low pressures?

it's a HT so for extra comfort???? 2.4 Maxxis

well maybe I got a Wednesday set then.????