GXP BB installation

W@nted

Hi

I recently bought a sram red crankset and installed it on my Giant TCR advanced pro 0. I bought a token press fit BB 86 and adapter for the non drive side. I used the 1mm spacer on both sides of the bb as in the token instructions.

Here is my issue:

After tightening the crank bolt, the crank does not spin freely, with a noticeable resistance present. I then removed the wave washer on the drive side. It then spins freely after tightening, but there is a 2mm gap between the BB shell and the crank. After about 40km, the drive side bb cup actually moved outward until it filled the 2mm gap. Then the resistance was back.

Is the wave washer intended to keep the bb cup from coming out?

This has never happened with my campag press fit bb.

Should i just buy an original sram gxp pressfit 86 bb?

Thanks

Make sure that the BB is fully inserted into the housing.  Use a bench vice rather than a bearing tool and preferably two people - one to hold the frame and the other to make sure that the cups are flush with the vice jaw when clamping it.  It doesn't take much misalignment to cause the crank to drag.

Hi

I recently bought a sram red crankset and installed it on my Giant TCR advanced pro 0. I bought a token press fit BB 86 and adapter for the non drive side. I used the 1mm spacer on both sides of the bb as in the token instructions.

Here is my issue:

After tightening the crank bolt, the crank does not spin freely, with a noticeable resistance present. I then removed the wave washer on the drive side. It then spins freely after tightening, but there is a 2mm gap between the BB shell and the crank. After about 40km, the drive side bb cup actually moved outward until it filled the 2mm gap. Then the resistance was back.

Is the wave washer intended to keep the bb cup from coming out?

This has never happened with my campag press fit bb.

Should i just buy an original sram gxp pressfit 86 bb?

Thanks

put the wave washer back. It is necessary for preloading the bearing.

Remove one of the 1mm spacers and see if that removes the binding. If yes then find 2 0.5mm spacers the replace the remaining 1mm Spacer with a 0.5mm spacer on each side.

If it still binds, remove the other 1mm spacer. If this fixes it then then the instructions could be wrong or you read it incorrectly