Jolanda Neff Crash

FondTF2

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!

While I was riding my mountain bike in Pisgah Forest, North Carolina, I came off the trail at high speed and crashed onto a pile of tree trunks with spiky branches. My lungs partially collapsed, I broke a rib, and my spleen got ruptured which caused internal bleeding. To stop the bleeding, the medical team first wanted to remove my spleen with emergency surgery but luckily the trauma team at Mission Hospital in Asheville, NC, had an expert who could do a procedure called embolization, which meant he went into the artery of my leg to go up to the artery of my spleen to block it with a plug. I am very lucky to be in such good hands!! @luca_shaw has been taking such great care of me and I can’t thank him and his fantastic family enough for being here for me 24/7. Also big thanks to @steelcitymedia for getting me out of the woods. The people at Mission Hospital did an excellent job in a life-threatening situation and my guardian angel has been amazing the last couple days. Trek has been super supportive and sent me a bouqet of beautiful flowers. I‘m still in a lot of pain and breathing is hard, but my condition is stable now. I’m sleeping a lot. Further plans have not been made yet. Thank you to everyone for your messages! Jolanda ????

Edited by Fond_TF2

Team statement:

During a training ride in the Pisgah Forest, near Brevard, North Carolina, Jolanda Neff came off her bike at high speed which resulted in a ruptured spleen, a fractured rib, and collapsed lung.

“I misjudged a downhill corner on a trail that was new to me during my training ride and I went off track and over the bars, falling onto a pile of logs," said Jolanda Neff. "I immediately knew something was wrong."

Neff received excellent care at the hospital in Asheville, NC, where she stayed for three nights and was subsequently released.

In order to stop internal bleeding in her spleen, Neff’s emergency medical team used a technique called embolization and thankfully avoided the need to remove her spleen.

It’s unclear what these injuries mean for Neff’s preparation for the cross-country season and her Olympic bid. She was scheduled to compete at the Cyclocross World Championships in Duebendorf, Switzerland on February 1.

yikes that's hectic . do one bounce back from such big injuries ?

even if she does , will she be able to compete at her level ?

yikes that's hectic . do one bounce back from such big injuries ?

even if she does , will she be able to compete at her level ?

I think she will be back on top before the 2020 season is over... she is a tough one.

I suspect she will be back long before that. Ribs are 6 weeks or so and the soft tissue quicker I would think.

Now I wonder what gnarly trails she was riding with Luca and the SC boys.

I suspect she will be back long before that. Ribs are 6 weeks or so and the soft tissue quicker I would think.

Now I wonder what gnarly trails she was riding with Luca and the SC boys.

and with the sponsors financial backing like she has, no recovery method will be too expensive. 

18 Months ago I had shoulder surgery, not long after me, JP Duminy had the same operation. It took almost a year until my shoulder was 110%. Yes, I could use it to do most normal things after a few weeks but no ways I could do anything like bowl. He was bowling again after like 6 weeks. I did physio once a week for 6 weeks and then biokineticist once a week for another 4 weeks. I am sure he did it everyday multiple times a day, no ways I could afford that.

Cycling is a cardiovascular sport.

Lungs integral.

This is gonna take tons of rest, recovery and rehab to recover fully, notwithstanding performing optimally.

Sadly not the best time of year for someone at her level to rest.