Lights for visibility

DemiCat

Hi

Firstly,the MTB routes in our area are mainly farm roads, but it does join a tar road near the end heading into town. I currently have a taillight that works perfect,although I would like an opinion on whether there is a difference (visibility wise) regarding vertical and horizontal lights.

My current front light is useful for me to see the road if need be,but I’m not sure how good it is in terms of visibility, Any recommendations on front safety lights that wont cost me one of my kidneys ? I was looking at this one :

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/blackburn/products/blackburn-central-front-smart-light

Thanks in advance

Edited by DemiCat

For commuting, I have two flashing red lights on the back of the bike .... flashing at different rates.

On the front I have a typical light - https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/lights/cateye-hl-el135-front-light.html  (cant find a pic of the RYDER I use)  This gives enough light for when I cycle very early.  But mostly I use it on the "flashing" setting, as this is what motorists actually see.

This type of light does NOT work well on gravel roads.  The weight is too far forward and on corrugations the lights "falls forward", and before long the light shines onto your front wheel ....  For my early morning gravel rides I use a light similar to the one you linked to while I ride on tar to the trails.

This is a deeeep pit !  You cant spend thousands on super lights.  But these make more sense when you are going to do night riding.  For typical "commute" type rides you just need a good quality flashing light.

My $0.02...if your current front light is good enough to let you see the road then it's more than good enough to be seen by other road users.

Hi

Firstly,the MTB routes in our area are mainly farm roads,but also includes tar roads here and there. I currently have a taillight that works perfect,although I would like an opinion on whether there is a difference (visibility wise) regarding vertical and horizontal lights.

My current front light is useful for me to see the road,but it's not a great safety light, Any recommendations on front safety lights that wont cost me one of my kidneys ? I was looking at this one :

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/blackburn/products/blackburn-central-front-smart-light

While I'm here,any opinions on 2nd hand bike computers ? Obviously I'd buy a new heart rate strap.

Thanks in advance

This type of light does NOT work well on gravel roads. The weight is too far forward and on corrugations the lights "falls forward", and before long the light shines onto your front wheel .... For my early morning gravel rides I use a light similar to the one you linked to while I ride on tar to the trails.

So a flashing front light is the best for visibility ? I never use my light to see on the actual road but I have tested that it will work if needed.