Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see all from Sanparks that are involved have been suspended. Probably did this to the person with the most pull in SA. They should re deploy sanparks to the cape flats to sort out the gangsters as they have solved all the murder and robbery on the mountain.

Not that their suspensions will help Nic in the early part of the season...hopefully at least this will bring some change to the way they go about their work.

FFS ..this is going to put him back ..argh

I also hope he drags them to court in a civil suit

Edited by Gen

I worked for NPB a number of years ago as a student. Also worked on Table Mountain as part of CTC Law Enforcement as student when CT still managed table mountain. Unless things changef drastically over the years I don't think NPB Rangers can arrest people - unless crime is very serious such as poaching or arson. They can detain and then get SAPS to do the arrest.

This is kind of ironic - if I'm not mistaken then one of the most senior anti poaching rangers in Kruger was suspended/dismissed a month or so ago for pushing one of their own around after he was caught poaching. Pushing around, not breaking an arm. These rangers deserve what's coming their way.

Think the NPB beancounters need to go sharpen their pencils, they need to push that budget around to get some fat into the "civil claims" account.

TMNP need to realise that ALL civies on the mountain pays their salaries and that are custodians of the mountain and not owners. They need to respect visitors and get them on TMNPs side and not do their best to alienate them.

BTW the ranger demanding that the video recording be stopped because it's not allowed is a obviously not a "trained official" Fool

We can separate two issues here.

1.We South Africans ignore rules too easily. Across the board. Nic might have ridden rouge, but this hasn't been confirmed. Nic should be made to pay the appropriate fine if found to have been in the wrong on that aspect.

2. The ranger used excessive force. This we do have evidence of in the video. There is no way Nic was thought to be a poacher or murderer, the ranger went MMA on him for a fineable offence.

Supporting the one point does not mean that you HAVE TO shoot down the 2nd point... both can be valid.

We can separate two issues here.

1.We South Africans ignore rules too easily. Across the board. Nic might have ridden rouge, but this hasn't been confirmed. Nic should be made to pay the appropriate fine if found to have been in the wrong on that aspect.

2. The ranger used excessive force. This we do have evidence of in the video. There is no way Nic was thought to be a poacher or murderer, the ranger went MMA on him for a fineable offence.

Supporting the one point does not mean that you HAVE TO shoot down the 2nd point... both can be valid.

That's my point.

Yes the rangers were wrong, but so was Nic.

If it turns out (which has been reported) that he ignored the guy at the gate, ignored multiple requests to stop, was wilfully trespassing etc then we have to ask a question... If you were the ranger, and some guy repeatedly ignored you while you tried to do your job, how would you react?

I would want to catch the guy. 

I wouldn't rough him up, but I would want to catch him to make a point. 

It's really really sad that Nic will miss TDU, but I can't help but keep feeling like he got himself into this really terrible situation.

As someone who have just spent 4 months totally off the bike with a broken arm and after that 4 more long months of slow and painful physio and rehab, to slowly build up to get the muscles strong enough to lift just the arm itself, not even a weight. Starting to ride again, nearly unable to hold the bars, and barely managing 15 minutes the first time, let alone spend 4 hours on a bike.

I have to pick Nicks' side. Nobody deserves a broken arm for anything that he could have done to the heavy handed ranger, for any permit infringement he might or might not have committed!

Footnote: That broken arm will cost him over a R100 000 just in medical expenses. Not even talking of rehab and lost earnings. That can run into many hundreds of thousands while expenses keep piling up. However they repair that arm, Nick is not going to ride and be his best for a whole season. In cycling that is an eternity. It is also possible that he will not regain full function and range of movement in that elbow. All of which to just say, I feel for him, I feel it in my own right arm!

it's become the norm here,that anybody who thinks they are special,feel that the laws don't apply to them,and that they are above the law due to self importance

secondly,the moment a person of authority tries to do his job,every tom ,dick and harry is shoving a camera in his face,put yourself in their position just for one day,where everytime you try and do something,somebody is in your face with a cell fone camera.I know,that i would either lose my ****,or say f***it and walk away and do nothing,and when that happens everybody squeels.

yes they were heavy handed,but lets wait for the full story, a person does not go full "chuck norris": for no reason

Now trending on Luxembourg,French and Belgium cycling groups.

Cette violence portée envers Nic Dlamini, aussi gratuite que démesurée, est écoeurante. Le pauvre gars s'est quand même fait péter le bras puis balancer dans le coffre comme un chien...

Alors qu'il faisait juste un tour de vélo. Quel crime !

On veut bien admettre qu'il ait fauté (interdiction de rouler dans le parc naturel), mais la démesure de la réaction en face fait peine à voir.

Vidéo : Lawrence Lindeque