Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

Re the debate around whether having a lower bone density (which could have contributed to the ease or difficulty involved in breaking Nic’s arm) - it makes absolutely no difference. The “thin skull” rule would apply (legal principle established from SA case law that uses the analogy of an assailant hitting someone over the head who has a thin skull and subsequently dies. The fact that the victim has a thin skull will make no difference in determining the assailant committed murder or not). So if Nic has low bone density - applying the “thin skull” principle - that fact has no bearing on the determination of whether there was an assault GBH.

Edited by Grogs

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slightly off topic, I have been doing a fair bit of weight training myself over this December holiday period ... though I don't think beer, trifle and other bits of tasty treats equates to the same weight training you are referring to?

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Another side of the coin ... how badly would they have treated him if there was no video footage being taken of the incident at all .....

It seems to be that during the assault #1 thug was oblivious to the recording of his actions

How Law abiding is that ???

Maybe you should go and read our Constitution

How Law abiding is that ??? Maybe you should go and read our Constitution

Take your son to your neighbour, then slap his dumbass head.It's not allowed at home.

It seems to be that during the assault #1 thug was oblivious to the recording of his actions

and the "do not record me" guy was chomping away on his sandwich 

I agree. I don't think for one second that they suddenly decided they were going to teach this guy a lesson and break his arm on purpose. There is more to what happened. As to posting a clip half way through an altercation you are certainly only going to see one side. I think personally that is a bad thing to do. It does not show the full story.

How many times have you missed that point that the situation should not have been allowed to escalate?

These rangers obviously have had no training in this regard, and/or there is no code or best practices for handling such situations, no performance assesments,  the management are more concerned about payday, whatever...  this behavior is totally unacceptable, no matter what proceeded it,.

One could only hope heads will roll, but they wont. This dysfunctionality is a pandemic with Public Service.

I would slap my son around the ear for trespassing.

Well, Nic wasn't trespassing. At worst he failed to buy/show a permit needed to access a public road in the park. That is not a crime just like overstaying your welcome in a parking bay isn't one. You may get a parking ticket but that does not make it a crime.

and the "do not record me" guy was chomping away on his sandwich 

I saw the sandwich and wondered about that.Are we sure its his sandwich?

That video is so f*cked up its hard to believe

Re the debate around whether having a lower bone density (which could have contributed to the ease or difficulty involved in breaking Nic’s arm) - it makes absolutely no difference. The “thin skull” rule would apply (legal principle established from SA case law that uses the analogy of an assailant hitting someone over the head who has a thin skull and subsequently dies. The fact that the victim has a thin skull will make no difference in determining the assailant committed murder or not). So if Nic has low bone density - applying the “thin skull” principle - that fact has no bearing on the determination of whether there was an assault GBH.

I don't think anybody here said anything about the nature of the assault being determined by that. People were just thinking out loud how come his arm broke so easily. I myself have had some massive dismouts, and I have yet to break one bone in my body.

I don't think anybody here said anything about the nature of the assault being determined by that. People were just thinking out loud how come his arm broke so easily. I myself have had some massive dismouts, and I have yet to break one bone in my body.

I agree with you.I have crashed motorbikes and bikes and cars and fallen down cliffs and the only break was a collar bone in a rugby match at school.Weird this break.

along that frame of thought ... could the arm maybe have been fractured from when he was pushed off his bicycle at "60km/h" and then under the force exerted by the ranger it broke properly?

Definitely a possibility

+1, my wife broke her leg just running, no fall, no hitting something, just broke at 15km mark. Bone density test said she had brittle bones due to moersie lack of calcium. 4 successive pregnancies and breastfeeding whipped all her calcium out. Hence the concern

I agree with you.I have crashed motorbikes and bikes and cars and fallen down cliffs and the only break was a collar bone in a rugby match at school.Weird this break.

Years of playing rugby, recoil from a 140mm artillery gun, 3 cycling crashes with metal monsters, 2 MTB incidents including falling into a 6 foot ditch at Northern Farms, nothing broken. 

Years of playing rugby, recoil from a 140mm artillery gun, 3 cycling crashes with metal monsters, 2 MTB incidents including falling into a 6 foot ditch at Northern Farms, nothing broken.

There is a school of thought that your bone strength increases if you are exposed regularly to impacts, especially in a contact sport like rugby.

Also, a baby in a tummy is the ultimate parasite, it will take all the minerals it needs to develop. If the mom doesn't consume sufficient calcium, it will canabalise the mom's bones for said calcium, thus the reason for many women having bone density problems.