Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

However in depth your post is, the question was 'which tar roads require a permit'..

The answer is, that one and the Cape Point Reserve spring to mind.

Not 'can I access them without a permit', not 'Do others access them without a permit'.... 

So no assumption at all. Should you want to ride said tar roads 'legally', you require a permit.

The end

What people do on STRAVA is neither here nor there

I think we'll just need to agree to disagree on this one.

Permit is for mtb riding, if anything he'd need to pay park entry.

Will just assume he got free entry this day, and didn't get moered by rangers.post-1830-0-41672100-1579081951_thumb.png

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So all of this fuss was because Nic rode this 2.4km stretch of road, without showing a permit?

Somehow my mind was picturing a much bigger loop of sorts instead of an up and back section.

Jeepers. 

indeed.

2 rules here i have most definitely broken.

* alcohol - thought this was actually totally allowed in the braai areas, and rangers have no issue with it.

*50km/h. i go way faster than that.

as do most people here

https://www.strava.com/segments/7125048?filter=overall

Pretty much sums up SANP in general. However, I think that the other camps such as Orange Kloof and Cape point probably were worthwhile. The tour guide on Cape Talk had booked the Cape point one for a group only to be told via a press release that it was suddenly closed.

SANP were invited to participate on the radio but as usual didn't take up the offer. They don't communicate and are impossible to work with to discuss solutions as everyone who has ever tried has found out. 

The only thing that gets any action is really bad negative publicity ( mild negative publicity doesn't work) or the threat of bad negative publicity or the threat of or actual legal action. 

In the meantime they continue to pillage the tourist resource that is TMNP while spending as little as possible to maintain it. 

On that subject I hiked up Platteklip with family and a visiting foreign guest on Saturday. Along the way I noticed SANP's version of erosion protection is a few slack barbed wire strands ready to snag unsuspecting hikers on this very busy and sometimes dangerous route. I'm sure the list goes on. 

incorrect, AFAIK he was emailed that it had been closed as he had booked and now needed to make another plan. There was no press release, we probably wouldn't even know about it if he hadn't raised it.

for what it's worth, the Silvermine tented camp has been closed since the fires of 2017, even though they were never damaged. they just don't have the will to make this work.

I am HUGELY critical of how Sanparks runs TMNP, as I think they do the bare minimum to keep the money generating stuff going and then ignore the rest. But I'm going to stop moaning, have applied to become an honorary ranger and will "try" and influence things from the inside.

We had a super rude ranger at the gate last Sunday as well. Same Silvermine gate with the same attitude. my post from social media where I have still not got an answer from Sanparks...

SANParks - Table Mountain National Park Western Cape Government City of Cape Town City Of Cape Town Municipality Hi guys, can I ask we you dont have snapscan/zapper or card machines at your gates on the top of silvermine? We cycled up Ou Kaapse Weg on a training ride, wanting to link Tokai trails and we told if we dont have cash we cant enter, fair enough. FYI, its definitely not safe carrying R300 (for 3 cyclist entries). Lady at the gate was super rude. Told use if we dont have cash we should cycle down and draw cash, cycle back up and they will let us in. If this is how we treat locals, how do we treat tourist?

I went for a ride at Jonkershoek in December - the Zapper / Snapscan system there is so simple and then you have the proof of permit automatically on your phone. It can't be that hard to implement.

I made the stupid mistake of going late morning to meet family on Boulders one day in the holiday (I do know better than to go late) - took an hour to get onto the beach because their card machines don't have signal there and you have to dance around with the machine and insert your card 10 times until the transaction goes through (...for each group of people in the line) You'd think that because they know they have an issue with signal maybe they would fix the problem!

Edited by ridr

Not aware of a statement from Nic, but I suspect that as soon as he felt snapping, this whole thing became sub judice... whether anyone realised or not...

Nic Did issue a statement.

However the statement was that he will be presented by the lawyers that representer Caster Semenya at IAAF trial and therefore he will not be issuing a statement on what happened.

I therefore believe he is legally in good hands.

incorrect, AFAIK he was emailed that it had been closed as he had booked and now needed to make another plan. There was no press release, we probably wouldn't even know about it if he hadn't raised it.

for what it's worth, the Silvermine tented camp has been closed since the fires of 2017, even though they were never damaged. they just don't have the will to make this work.

I am HUGELY critical of how Sanparks runs TMNP, as I think they do the bare minimum to keep the money generating stuff going and then ignore the rest. But I'm going to stop moaning, have applied to become an honorary ranger and will "try" and influence things from the inside.

Please let us know how that process goes and whether the uniform is as uncomfortable as the rangers usually make them look. You do get a uniform right? :-)

Please let us know how that process goes and whether the uniform is as uncomfortable as the rangers usually make them look. You do get a uniform right? :-)

The ladies apparently love a man in uniform .... you go Shebeen :P

So far I just need to go to a meeting to see if I cut the mustard it seems?

As for what i get, it looks like this oom has a uniform AND a GUN and bulletts and crap, his laaitie even carries a camelbak for him!!

https://twitter.com/SACLMag/status/1195937147729125377

Maybe it is her encouraging him to get "into uniform"

ha!

I think she would prefer he stayed home and attended to his job jar!  :whistling:

Or is that you? Or me? Or most married men?!!

I think we'll just need to agree to disagree on this one.

Permit is for mtb riding, if anything he'd need to pay park entry.

Will just assume he got free entry this day, and didn't get moered by rangers.attachicon.gifnicDsilvermine.png

Unfortunately not.

Taken from the activity card section on  SANParks websight - 

• Level 1 – Dog-walking (R305)
  • Level 1 - Multi User Level 1 card additional member (R115.00)
  • Level 2 – Hang-gliding and paragliding, sport climbing (R455)
  • Level 3 – Horse-riding, cycling, line fishing and transport (R625)
  • Level 3 - Additional member (R270.00)

Unfortunately not.

Taken from the activity card section on  SANParks websight - 

• Level 1 – Dog-walking (R305)
  • Level 1 - Multi User Level 1 card additional member (R115.00)
  • Level 2 – Hang-gliding and paragliding, sport climbing (R455)
  • Level 3 – Horse-riding, cycling, line fishing and transport (R625)
  • Level 3 - Additional member (R270.00)

It is a bit confusing because we can hike up to Lions Head for free and we must pay in other areas....

Okay .....

So a supposed sporting hero refuses to show his access permit - hardly the behaviour of somebody that is to be a role model for our young sport stars.

A couple of rangers rough up Nic - NO excuse for their behaviour !!

Sad to see how this is used to bad mouth "all SANS Park" staff.  :thumbdown:

We had an excellent holiday at Bontebokpark - SANS Parks.  From the gent greeting us at the access gate, booking in, cleaning staff, ALL staff at this camp were super professional and nice.  :thumbup:   :clap:

Our encounters at various other camps throughout SA have all been good.   :thumbup:

Certainly, SANS Parks is a massive organisation, and like any big organisation it will have a few rotten apples.  But bad mouthing "all staff" is simply incorrect, and in bad taste.

okay okay, I will go sit in the corner ....