Time for a new helmet - MTB

Wayne Potgieter

Hi Chaps.

Looking for some recommendations on a new helmet.

MTB style.

I have been considering the Giro Montana

https://www.giro.com/p/montaro-mips-mountain-bike-helmet

Or the Bell super 3

https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-3r-mips-mountain-bike-helmet

Now they both have MIPS and a removable action camera mount - things that are needed.

But the bell has the removable chin guard.

I would use this  primarily for  mountain biking (not downhill) but I also use the same helmet when i ride my electric skateboard (hence the chin guard feature being slightly attractive) although I have my concerns around whether I would actually use the chin guard or not.

I  wear glasses when I ride (prescription) so goggle integration is not needed. although I have struggled in the past with helmets that have retaining straps (the thingy you tighten at the back) that fit too low over the ears and irritate my ears with glasses on, so thats something to be mindful of.

I am not married to the two options above, but it gives you an idea of what I am after.

Given that in NZ you cant really return a helmet once purchased online, I kind of need to get my ducks in a row before committing to the purchase. I don't really have a budget - but I am a fan of buying once, but buying proper.

Thanks

Hi Chaps.

Looking for some recommendations on a new helmet.

MTB style.

I have been considering the Giro Montana

https://www.giro.com/p/montaro-mips-mountain-bike-helmet

Or the Bell super 3

https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-3r-mips-mountain-bike-helmet

Now they both have MIPS and a removable action camera mount - things that are needed.

But the bell has the removable chin guard.

I would use this  primarily for  mountain biking (not downhill) but I also use the same helmet when i ride my electric skateboard (hence the chin guard feature being slightly attractive) although I have my concerns around whether I would actually use the chin guard or not.

I  wear glasses when I ride (prescription) so goggle integration is not needed. although I have struggled in the past with helmets that have retaining straps (the thingy you tighten at the back) that fit too low over the ears and irritate my ears with glasses on, so thats something to be mindful of.

I am not married to the two options above, but it gives you an idea of what I am after.

Given that in NZ you cant really return a helmet once purchased online, I kind of need to get my ducks in a row before committing to the purchase. I don't really have a budget - but I am a fan of buying once, but buying proper.

Thanks

Hi Wayne

We bought my son the Bell Super 3R for my son a year back after an OTB chipped a tooth. Dental costs here are phenomenal, so the fear of it happening again spurred us into getting the full face.

It is a great helmet. It does run hot, and he does not carry a pack around to clip the chin bar to for climbs. Given Australia is just one giant heatwave, the heat build-up is an issue and in the end he refused to wear it! He does have a buddy with one who does not complain about the heat as much, so maybe it is all a personal tolerance issue. 

We got a Fox Dropframe to replace it - my helmet was getting old so I also got one.

https://www.foxracing.com/mtb/mens/helmets/dropframe/

He loves it as it is a reasonable compromise between coverage and comfort. I find it very comfortable, although the fact that it grips your skull is bit disconcerting for the first 20 seconds. I would say it would be a great one to look at bar one fact - if you wear specs the fact that it grips your head (there are foam liners everywhere) might make the spec frames uncomfortable as those liners would really press down on the arms of the spec frames. Maybe do a google search/review to see if that is a real issue- I don't wear glasses so I can't say.

Hi Wayne

We bought my son the Bell Super 3R for my son a year back after an OTB chipped a tooth. Dental costs here are phenomenal, so the fear of it happening again spurred us into getting the full face.

It is a great helmet. It does run hot, and he does not carry a pack around to clip the chin bar to for climbs. Given Australia is just one giant heatwave, the heat build-up is an issue and in the end he refused to wear it! He does have a buddy with one who does not complain about the heat as much, so maybe it is all a personal tolerance issue.

We got a Fox Dropframe to replace it - my helmet was getting old so I also got one.

https://www.foxracing.com/mtb/mens/helmets/dropframe/

He loves it as it is a reasonable compromise between coverage and comfort. I find it very comfortable, although the fact that it grips your skull is bit disconcerting for the first 20 seconds. I would say it would be a great one to look at bar one fact - if you wear specs the fact that it grips your head (there are foam liners everywhere) might make the spec frames uncomfortable as those liners would really press down on the arms of the spec frames. Maybe do a google search/review to see if that is a real issue- I don't wear glasses so I can't say.

thats good advice. Thanks.

I’ll try see if I can find somewhere to fit the fox for a comparative feel.

I doubt heat will be as much of a factor here. So your advice is useful as it sounds like the bell was a win other than the heat.

thats good advice. Thanks.

I’ll try see if I can find somewhere to fit the fox for a comparative feel.

I doubt heat will be as much of a factor here. So your advice is useful as it sounds like the bell was a win other than the heat.

What I should have done for the first post - a google search on spectacles for the Dropframe came up with the below - which points out that Fox have thought about the issue and designed the liners around it. Just looked at mine, and yes, there is a big gap in the padding for spec arms.

https://bikenetwork.co.za/review-fox-dropframe-helmet-the-open-face-aggressive-bomber/

But in cool climates the concerns on the Bell should diminish. And it is a pretty cool looking trail helmet even without the chin guard.

If you do try out the Fox, keep it on your head for a good few minutes as the feel is totally different to a normal bike helmet. Felt really strange to me as I am not a motorbike rider, but a few minutes of browsing other goodies and you do not even notice it's there anymore.

Hey Wayne,

I’ve got the Giro and it is a lovely helmet with great fit and ventilation. I wanted something a little bit lower in the back and this works a treat.

That said, if I had seen that Dropfox at the time I would have been all over it!

Thanks chaps.

I see torpedo 7 in Albany carries physical stock of all three. Will head out there today to fit them.

I appreciate the advice.