Table Mountain permit system

eddy

The Nic Dlamini saga has highlighted to those of us who only travel to the Cape occasionally that a permit is required to ride certain routes.

The article below seems to claim that I can use my Sanparks wildcard to enter the gate at cape point by car, but if I want to enter by bicycle, I need a different permit entirely..

https://m.traveller24.com/News/breaking-of-sa-cyclists-arm-damaging-to-cape-towns-cycling-tourism-highlights-discrepancies-with-permit-process-20191228

Can someone please give us the DUMMIES guide to the rules.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nic Dlamini saga has highlighted to those of us who only travel to the Cape occasionally that a permit is required to ride certain routes.

The article below seems to claim that I can use my Sanparks wildcard to enter the gate at cape point by car, but if I want to enter by bicycle, I need a different permit entirely..

https://m.traveller24.com/News/breaking-of-sa-cyclists-arm-damaging-to-cape-towns-cycling-tourism-highlights-discrepancies-with-permit-process-20191228

Can someone please give us the DUMMIES guide to the rules.

That's quite correct Ed. If you're going to make use of any trails within the Table Mountain National Park you are required to either have a day permit (the cost of which escapes me as I haven't made use of one in a long time) or a my activity card which costs around a R1200 per person or around R350 per person if you purchase it as a family or with a group of other riders (4 people total). The my activity card is the one I use and is valid for a year from purchase. Day permits should be available at most entry points to the Park and the my activity card can be purchased from SANParks offices throughout the Southern Suburbs. For the my activity card you'll need to ID photos, a completed application form and the fee.

Hi there Your wild card cannot be used as a cycling permit ...

the Activity permit is the permit that must be used throughout the Table mountain rides in the Cape peninsula .

However if you enter the reserves with your vehicle...you will need an entry permit.

So  the Silvermine reserve or Cape point  for instance you can use your wildcard/green card to enter and park you will need a day cycling permit or an activity card to cycle.

permits for biking the berg.

Note that although not currently being checked..outside the reserve areas an Activity permit is necessarily along all the trails Cape point to Signal hill ...the Green belt Tokai does not require a permit.

Day MTB permit ............ R92.00..available at Tokai picnic spot with safe parking

Level 3/Activity permit ....R625.00
but please remember you have the alternative to do a group member purchase .
Additional member ...........R270
The Main member can add up to 3 additional members onto the application and then the permit price can be shared .
4 member purchase.........R358.75 each
Activity permits run from Date of purchase for 12 months
Activity permits can be purchased at any time of the year.
Any questions Ask away.

MY Facebook group

Tokai MTBike Trail news

Edited by HowardSteele

That's quite correct Ed. If you're going to make use of any trails within the Table Mountain National Park you are required to either have a day permit (the cost of which escapes me as I haven't made use of one in a long time) or a my activity card which costs around a R1200 per person or around R350 per person if you purchase it as a family or with a group of other riders (4 people total). The my activity card is the one I use and is valid for a year from purchase. Day permits should be available at most entry points to the Park and the my activity card can be purchased from SANParks offices throughout the Southern Suburbs. For the my activity card you'll need to ID photos, a completed application form and the fee.

Activity permit cost per person is R625

Activity permit cost per person is R625

Thanks Howard.

To add to the comments:

Easiest place to get the permit is at Kirstenbosch bottom entrance. It is open on the weekend, and you can usually find your 3 other buddies in the queue to get the group discount. The chap who mans the sales counter will actively help you find buddies, and there is a Vida Cafe right there if you have to wait..

Only time I am ever stopped by Sanparks is in December/January, especially at the boom on Tafelberg Road.

Tom 

Hi there Your wild card cannot be used as a cycling permit ...

the Activity permit is the permit that must be used throughout the Table mountain rides in the Cape peninsula .

However if you enter the reserves with your vehicle...you will need an entry permit.

So  the Silvermine reserve or Cape point  for instance you can use your wildcard/green card to enter and park you will need a day cycling permit or an activity card to cycle.

permits for biking the berg.

Note that although not currently being checked..outside the reserve areas an Activity permit is necessarily along all the trails Cape point to Signal hill ...the Green belt Tokai does not require a permit.

Day MTB permit ............ R92.00..available at Tokai picnic spot with safe parking

Level 3/Activity permit ....R625.00

but please remember you have the alternative to do a group member purchase .

Additional member ...........R270

The Main member can add up to 3 additional members onto the application and then the permit price can be shared .

4 member purchase.........R358.75 each

Activity permits run from Date of purchase for 12 months

Activity permits can be purchased at any time of the year.

Any questions Ask away.

MY Facebook group

Tokai MTBike Trail news

This in a nutshell.

As mentioned the Wildcard does not allow you to cycle, for that you need a level 3 activity permit.

A day pass is okay if you are on a one off visit but the annual permit makes a lot more financial sense if you are around all year round.

They need more places to get day permits or rangers need to be able to sell you one.

But they stand jn a place that is nowhere near a Point of Sale. I get the feeling that they are there to catch you, not help or facilitate.

You need a permit to ride on Table Mountain (front face), but there are multiple entry points and only one POS.

Same with Newlands, Kirstenbosch loop.

Without an Activity Card, it's a real PITA to just go for a ride in some places.

So if I am staying in Simonstown and drive in my car up to the top of Smitswinkel and turn left to go and buy a coke at the point restaurant, I can use my green card.

But if I want to do the same trip on my road bike, I must first go to Tokai and buy a permit.

It makes no sense.

So if I am staying in Simonstown and drive in my car up to the top of Smitswinkel and turn left to go and buy a coke at the point restaurant, I can use my green card.

But if I want to do the same trip on my road bike, I must first go to Tokai and buy a permit.

It makes no sense.

You can buy your day permit at the Cape Point gate if you dont have the activity card

It makes no sense.

I've had an argument with them about it a couple of years ago. My reasoning was that my bicycle was my vehicle and my Green card allows me access. They said yes, walk in or drive your car in, ride your motorbike, but not ride your bicycle through the gate. Moronic!

But yes, you can buy the cycling day permit at the gate. 

And it is worth doing the stretch all the way to the Point itself. Take in a loop or two on the side roads also. It is very beautiful, watch out for Bontebok and Eland, just KNOW that if the southeaster is howling, it can blow you to a standstill if you are lucky.......off the bike and into the fynbos if you are unlucky.

I've had an argument with them about it a couple of years ago. My reasoning was that my bicycle was my vehicle and my Green card allows me access. They said yes, walk in or drive your car in, ride your motorbike, but not ride your bicycle through the gate. Moronic!

But yes, you can buy the cycling day permit at the gate.

And it is worth doing the stretch all the way to the Point itself. Take in a loop or two on the side roads also. It is very beautiful, watch out for Bontebok and Eland, just KNOW that if the southeaster is howling, it can blow you to a standstill if you are lucky.......off the bike and into the fynbos if you are unlucky.

Agree, doesn't make sense. I put on more bike miles than what I put on car miles.

I have a card, so no issue. But getting a day permit seems to be a helluva effort. Especially if you doing non "boom controlled" routes.

But like I said, I wanna see rangers on table mountain (Rhodes, plumpudding),I wanna feel safe, then we can talk about permits. I have been paying for years and commute TMNP often, but never see rangers