Rowing

Help.Me.

I have done a search on Bikehub and cannot find any info regarding rowing. Is there any one doing rowing exercises, to "complement" your cycling or just fitness in general? Please give some feedback i.e. Equipment and advantages of rowing....thanks

1. If you don't know what you're doing from a technique point of view, you're either wasting your time or you're going to hurt yourself.

2. There's only one machine worth considering - Concept 2 ergo.

3. If there was only one type of training that i could do for the rest of my life, it would be interval training on the ergo. Probably the best all round workout you can do.

1. If you don't know what you're doing from a technique point of view, you're either wasting your time or you're going to hurt yourself.

2. There's only one machine worth considering - Concept 2 ergo.

3. If there was only one type of training that i could do for the rest of my life, it would be interval training on the ergo. Probably the best all round workout you can do.

There is nothing quite as honest as a 2000m erg.

I remember rowing trials at school and having to be lifted off the erg and chundering all over myself. Many times!

I was looking into buying a concept 2 for home a little while ago but I ran out of steam. It is my dream to own an ergo machine and an old wooden hull Empacher pair.

Rowing a pair is one of the most beautiful feelings ever

I bought a second hand Concept 2 Model C for a cheap price. Fixed the stretchy cord underneath that broke after a week. Bought a new Head Unit (PM5) to talk to my polar heart rate strap. Log the ride to a USB stick and upload on PC. I enjoy the 2000m sprint, takes about 8mims...makes a good workout for the top half mainly. Helps to strengthen arms and back to minimise on back pain during rides...

I bought a second hand Concept 2 Model C for a cheap price. Fixed the stretchy cord underneath that broke after a week. Bought a new Head Unit (PM5) to talk to my polar heart rate strap. Log the ride to a USB stick and upload on PC. I enjoy the 2000m sprint, takes about 8mims...makes a good workout for the top half mainly. Helps to strengthen arms and back to minimise on back pain during rides...

So this is what I was talking about. Rowing is a legs sport, not an arms sport.

There is nothing quite as honest as a 2000m erg.

I remember rowing trials at school and having to be lifted off the erg and chundering all over myself. Many times!

I was looking into buying a concept 2 for home a little while ago but I ran out of steam. It is my dream to own an ergo machine and an old wooden hull Empacher pair.

Rowing a pair is one of the most beautiful feelings ever

Agree on the 2000m erg.

It was the 4- for me... Had some roodeplaat sessions at dusk that literally felt like dreams.

And would be an Emp 1X for me please.

Edit: if you haven't read The Boys in the Boat by Daniel Brown, get a copy.

Edited by madbradd

...makes a good workout for the top half mainly. .

Then you are doing it wrong.

You will really benefit from getting a few technique tips from a rower and get much more out of your workouts.

See if you can get one.

Edited by eddy

Initial power driver from legs and glutes, upper body more for putting blade in water and finishing as you straighten legs. Great vo2 workout, a 2000m row. My experience in boats though, not eggs so much. A long time ago. Rowing a great sport all round.

Agree on the 2000m erg.

It was the 4- for me... Had some roodeplaat sessions at dusk that literally felt like dreams.

And would be an Emp 1X for me please.

Edit: if you haven't read The Boys in the Boat by Daniel Brown, get a copy.

I will definitely give that a read, thank you!

I also rowed 4s and 8s, rowed coxless after school too, but the pair just felt like 2 halves melting into 1 for me.

We trained on the Kowie at school and after school I was a member of the The Poplar Blackwell district rowing club and used to row a wooden Empach skull at sunrise on the Thames.

Yeah, if your legs and lungs aren't screaming at you after a 2000 then you're doing it wrong.

Watch some videos of Redgrave on the Erg. Watch how he slams that handle into his sternum on the finish and accelerates the whole way through the stroke.

Get your ergo time closer to 6 minutes and start aiming for even splits. It can only improve your cycling and your general strength.

Or if, like me, you rowed way too much too young, it will overdevelop one shoulder and forearm, brand a tri-suit tan into your skin forever and leave you with one hip flexer that doesn't know what it's there for!

Let me explain why I use the word MAINLY.

It would be impossible to row without using your legs (& torso) and it would be impossible to finish the move without using your arms (& torso) to pull the oar to the solar plexus/ chest area.

As a cyclist (that is always using his legs) I see rowing as an exercise that exercises my upper torso and arms MAINLY because pure cycling doesn't offer me ANY real exercise to my upperhalf. So rowing, TO ME, is an exercise for my upper half despite that fact that my legs might be doing 80% of the work. In other words, it is my MAIN exercise for my torso, arm and back.

I trust that you'll see my point of view!

I will definitely give that a read, thank you!

I also rowed 4s and 8s, rowed coxless after school too, but the pair just felt like 2 halves melting into 1 for me.

We trained on the Kowie at school and after school I was a member of the The Poplar Blackwell district rowing club and used to row a wooden Empach skull at sunrise on the Thames.

Yeah, if your legs and lungs aren't screaming at you after a 2000 then you're doing it wrong.

Watch some videos of Redgrave on the Erg. Watch how he slams that handle into his sternum on the finish and accelerates the whole way through the stroke.

Get your ergo time closer to 6 minutes and start aiming for even splits. It can only improve your cycling and your general strength.

Or if, like me, you rowed way too much too young, it will overdevelop one shoulder and forearm, brand a tri-suit tan into your skin forever and leave you with one hip flexer that doesn't know what it's there for!

Nice.

Yeah, rowing (or rather stopping rowing) can really destroy your mobility.

Let me explain why I use the word MAINLY.

It would be impossible to row without using your legs (& torso) and it would be impossible to finish the move without using your arms (& torso) to pull the oar to the solar plexus/ chest area.

As a cyclist (that is always using his legs) I see rowing as an exercise that exercises my upper torso and arms MAINLY because pure cycling doesn't offer me ANY real exercise to my upperhalf. So rowing, TO ME, is an exercise for my upper half despite that fact that my legs might be doing 80% of the work. In other words, it is my MAIN exercise for my torso, arm and back.

I trust that you'll see my point of view!

Gotcha. You see alot of people who think rowing is ONLY an upper body excercise... Apologies for lumping you with them.