Newbie - Kickr 4 or which other indoor trainer

LLTHB

Hi to all. Back in cycling after a long long 10 year period off.

Now able to to do about 10 hours a week training.

Used to have a Cat Eye indoor trainer, placed the whole bike in the trainer with the front wheel off.

Was excellent training for me. Now looking for advice on what to do, what to purchase in this new modern era.

Live in Prince Albert which is MTB cycling heaven, but still feel the need for an indoor trainer for the days I simply cant get out.

Any advice, input appreciated as well as links to links in previous posts, which I did search, but think I still need more input.

Cheers.

Cat Eye IDT

CS1000 I think it was....

Also had one of those, they were the one in their day

I’ve been using a cyclops powerbeam from Saris for many years with no issues. If I was looking to get a new IDT I would without doubt stick with one of the Saris products.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi to all. Back in cycling after a long long 10 year period off.

Now able to to do about 10 hours a week training.

Used to have a Cat Eye indoor trainer, placed the whole bike in the trainer with the front wheel off.

Was excellent training for me. Now looking for advice on what to do, what to purchase in this new modern era.

Live in Prince Albert which is MTB cycling heaven, but still feel the need for an indoor trainer for the days I simply cant get out.

Any advice, input appreciated as well as links to links in previous posts, which I did search, but think I still need more input.

Cheers.

Hi we have a Tacx neo took me a week setting it up but my wife got that and i bought a Wahoo kickr snap wheel on trainer and i also got a Wahoo elemnt . I would say tacx is overpriced and a mission to set up . Wahoo would be my choice and throw in a Rouvy subscription and you can ride anywhere you want road or MTB .You can download any GPX file and ride it on the app. enjoy  

Based on latest reviews, now that Wahoo have sorted out earlier issues, the Kickr 4 and Core are the most reliable performers it seems. The H3 has some issue depending on which gear you train in, check latest reviews on Smart Bike Trainers. Tariq found an issue there that I'm not sure has been resolved yet. The NEO 2T has some accuracy issues that have not yet been resolved which GPlama is still working with Tacx to resolve. He reckons his 2016 Neo is still more reliable than the 2T in terms of accuracy. The NEO 2 (not T) apparently still has some "slip" issue seen on the NEO 1. Based on some comment I saw from GPlama on a forum, can't remember which one, he said the Core would be the best purchase right now.

With regards to power meters, the P2Max and Favero Assioma seems like the best, most accurate and most reliable based on what I've read on various forums and and watched on reviews by trusted reviewers on YouTube. If you're a roadie and like Look pedals, Favero would probably the best choice.

Edit: spelling

Edited by aiyaaz

Based on latest reviews, now that Wahoo have sorted out earlier issues, the Kickr 4 and Core are the most reliable performers it seems. The H3 has some issue depending on which gear you train in, check latest reviews on Smart Bike Trainers. Tariq found an issue there that I'm not sure has been resolved yet. The NEO 2T has some accuracy issues that have not yet been resolved which GPlama is still working with Tacx to resolve. He reckons his 2016 Neo is still more reliable than the 2T in terms of accuracy. The NEO 2 (not T) apparently still has some "slip" issue seen on the NEO 1. Based on some comment I saw from GPlama on a forum, can't remember which one, he said the Core would be the best purchase right now.

With regards to power meters, the P2Max and Favero Assioma seems like the best, most accurate and most reliable based on what I've read on various forums and and watched on reviews by trusted reviewers on YouTube. If you're a roadie and like Look pedals, Favero would probably the best choice.

Edit: spelling

I have a new Neo 2. There is indeed still some slip but it's really minimal and not an issue. I really only feel it if I've stopped altogether and then suddenly kick away quite hard again - its like the system takes a fraction of a second - and I mean less than one second - to say "Aha! We're going again!" Otherwise I've never noticed any slip. The Neo 2 is somewhat more expensive than the Kickr but also has a few advantages over the Kickr 4. IMHO, it's definitely the better machine, for a number if reasons.

I have a new Neo 2. There is indeed still some slip but it's really minimal and not an issue. I really only feel it if I've stopped altogether and then suddenly kick away quite hard again - its like the system takes a fraction of a second - and I mean less than one second - to say "Aha! We're going again!" Otherwise I've never noticed any slip. The Neo 2 is somewhat more expensive than the Kickr but also has a few advantages over the Kickr 4. IMHO, it's definitely the better machine, for a number if reasons.

Yeah it does have more features, ride feel, no calibration required, etc. but right now I think the most attractive feature of the NEO series would be being able to run it unplugged. None of those were worth the extra cash to me in the past but during the current Eskom crisis (LOAD SHEDDING), I am seeing A LOT of value in that last feature! Hahaha.

Edited by aiyaaz

Yeah it does have more features, ride feel, no calibration required, etc. but right now I think the most attractive feature of the NEO series would be being able to run it unplugged. None of those were worth the extra cash to me in the past but during the current Eskom crisis (LOAD SHEDDING), I am seeing A LOT of value in that last feature! Hahaha.

Well, maybe. It really does still work properly without electricity (other than the virtual downhill freewheel feature) but depending upon where you live, when its warm you still need electricity for the fan. And then maybe also the Wifi connection for your app etc.

FWIW, the JetBlack unit also can run without electricity IIRC.

Ok, again thanks for info.

Looks like Wahoo Elements Bolt and Wahoo Kickr4.

Had my eye on Garmin 1030 but a very experienced rider with a strong IT background says the Elements is the way to go.

However, I need access to my phone whilst riding, I need to see who is calling, messages etc. Can the elements do this as well as the Garmin 1030.

This is the biggest thing for me, clients call whilst i am cycling and I lose income.

Who has exeperience with taking calls and messages whilst you riding, then stop to accept the call etc.

Cheers.

Had my eye on Garmin 1030 but a very experienced rider with a strong IT background says the Elements is the way to go.

However, I need access to my phone whilst riding, I need to see who is calling, messages etc. Can the elements do this as well as the Garmin 1030.

This is the biggest thing for me, clients call whilst i am cycling and I lose income.

Who has experience with taking calls and messages whilst you riding, then stop to accept the call etc.

Cheers.

You can set up the bolt to indicate whose calling,

or read a message but only sms , whats app does not indicateson the bolt

Who has exeperience with taking calls and messages whilst you riding, then stop to accept the call etc.

Cheers.

My Garmin 1030 will notify me of incoming calls and SMS but not WhatsApp, Telegram etc messages. Not sure if it's a configuration issue but I in any event really don't want the the whole social media universe intruding while I'm riding. Element I don't know about.

Bear in mind that depending upon what riding you do and how (e.g fast road riding in a Peloton), incoming notifications can be distracting and maybe can lead to crashes.

Cheers.

wahoo has this function you can enable or disable the function 

Be VERY careful - make sure that you really want a wahoo trainer though!  They do offer "hassle free 30 day return" (quoted from their home page!!) if you want to send it back!  Only catch is that there is a nasty 20% handling fee to return anything!  My fault for not making it absolutely 100% crystal clear to my wife that I really didn't want or need an indoor trainer!  I didnt even open the box! Thank goodness it was only the Snap and not the kickr4!

EDIT:  Wahoo kindly waived the handling fee as the package was still unopened!

Edited by lurkerza

think you've gotten the drift by now, Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Core, any of the generations, if you have any problems Christiaan will resolve it before you can any long word.

Computer for when riding outside, Garmin 520, or the 520+, can't go wrong.

Software, if you serious about interval training and want to get max benefit of your time, the  only really one choice, TrainerRoad. (www.trainerroad.com).

Software wise you can go Freeware: Golden Cheetah is a brilliant tool to create and run workouts on a IDT. PLUS, it can track allot of fitness metrics.

But it will require tinkering, as with any Freeware.

Anyone of the online training platforms is actually brilliant value for money.

think you've gotten the drift by now, Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Core, any of the generations, if you have any problems Christiaan will resolve it before you can any long word.

Computer for when riding outside, Garmin 520, or the 520+, can't go wrong.

Software, if you serious about interval training and want to get max benefit of your time, the only really one choice, TrainerRoad. (www.trainerroad.com).

G

Another vote for TrainerRoad. Been using it on and off for the last 2 to 3 years and luckily grandfathered in at $99 p/a. Lots of workouts and programs, etc, and the apps work very well. It is simple and easy to follow. They also have a lekker podcast and the community forum has lots of knowledgeable and friendly people.