Wahoo kickr

rogerdias

I would say that a smart trainer is the single most effective tool to improve your cycling strength - if you use it!

And as smart trainers go, Wahoo is one of the better ones.  

In my opinion you would need a third party service in conjunction with the trainer - something like Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Rouvy, Road Grand Tours etc.  Wahoo do have their own basic training app, but it's pretty simplistic...  So add the cost of this service into the budget...

And then, if you do add one of these services, you will need to have a device to run said app on.  So tablet, ipad, PC.  If you have this kicking around great, if not, it adds to the cost.

But again, money well spent if you use it!

Agree !

I have an Elite Zumo. Simply because its the cheapest wheel off trainer I could find.

2 things to add. GET A FAN.

IMO. The most important thing with a smart trainer is the software. I ended up with Rouvy simply because its the thing that runs best on my setup which is an android mygica. Zwift doesn't work on my particular device. There's a load of apps to try. And most have a free trial period.

Zwift
Rouvy
RGT
Bkool
Fulgaz

Have fun. And most importantly remember. It's not cycling. It's a cycling workout.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I use the Wahoo Kikr Snap with bluetooth. I was very skeptical about using Zwift vs Reality, however, after the first ride, I am totally converted.

I have been using the Kikr Snap since August and managed to maintain my regular cycling routine, despite weather or traffic elements and possible criminal elements.

When I ride my mountain bike on the trail, there is a definite improvement from the Smart trainer's input.

The possibilities with Zwift are practically endless, I would definitely advise that you go for it.

Happy new year Hagar!

Long time no post from you - but good to still see your name every now and then.

Happy new year Hagar!

Long time no post from you - but good to still see your name every now and then.

all the best to you too thanks !!! just check the posts now and again and add my 50c worth maybe i can help someone like i was helped when i started cycling  :clap: i am more into my indoor trainer now far safer and the wife can join me too  :thumbup:

Kickr is fantastic, especially if you are time constrained.  I use it with TrainerRoad for well planned structured workouts. You have to be disciplined it is very hard work and can get boring.  

My biggest thing about IDT is time savings., No bike washing, no punctures, no maintance, get on bike, do your intervals, get off.  1 hr indoor is same as 1.5hrs outdoor (you always peddle, no free wheeling)

My indoor have dedicated steel bike, paid less for it than pair of tyres for my road bike, well almost.

Had my kickr now for 4-5 years , biggest noise is the music from Sufferfest and me huffing puffing about.

So actually won't call even kickr gen1 loud.

edit:  Just checked, its 5 years 7 months already

Edited by Karman de Lange

I bought a 2nd hand Gen 1 kickr and promptly well down the rabbit hole and converted the spare room to a pain cave. Best thing I have ever done, awesome for time constraints and focussed training. Recovery sessions are controlled. I can train any time of day(yes every now and then I do a 3am or 1opm session. It is a win.

Also Rouvy premium so the MRs and I are covered under one monthly fee.

I DO enjoy my paincave .... well, it keeps me going on those days when I cant get outside and ride ....  2018 I had a marked drop in fitness over the winter, 2019 I got the trainer mid-winter.  My first summer ride was longer and better than my previous summer rides !!

YES, it certainly cuts down on bike maintenance .... no need to worry about tubeless and topping up sludge ....

but nothing beats getting "out there", or rather, I still prefer a good ride out in nature.... 

that said, after some good rides out there I am looking forward to a controlled recovery ride tonight .... for me a good balance of indoor and outdoor rides offer the best way to stay fit and stay interested in riding.

My Wahoo Kickr  + TrainerRoad is the best money i've spend on my riding, realised that 3+ yrs ago when I bought my first Kickr and 3yrs later now still feel the same way,

own 2 x Wahoo Kickr's Gen one. can't go wrong, and if really serious about maximum benefit from time on the trainer then pair it with TrainerRoad (www.trainerroad.com).

have fun.

The biggest baddest bad ass fan you can, easy in winter to set it slower, in summer you will always want ti faster, 

also found a nice pair of Bluetooth ear phones, pair with your phone with some good tunes help allot,

I run TrainerRoad on a iPad.

G

2 things to add. GET A FAN.

Thanxs every1 for your input,deff gona get myself a wahoo kickr this year.it will allow me to train during the rainy days and during the week,

Do I have to start a new topic to find what is the best program to run it?im more into mtb trails but do a bit rd aswell,

fair bit of info about the software on this thread - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/184367-newbie-kickr-4-or-which-other-indoor-trainer/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3596719

many many other threads about the software as well.  MOST allows you to try out 14 to 30 day trials ....  only issue being that you will be downloading a LOT to install each package, well only an issue of you have limited internet access.

PLEASE keep us posted on your software search.  This is one game where last years tests may be invalidated by 1 or 2 upgrades ....

For training it's about working on explosive power and sustained power, 

TrainerRoad have Endurance build programs, power build programs, centuary build programs etc etc,

Get the Kickr, happy to sponsor you a free month to see if you like it.

... tell us about yourself, how strong are you, how big are you, depending on those you might be more than happy with the Kickr Core, which is basically the old gen 1 (still considered the best unit). and it's a couple thou cheaper than the new Kickr 4.

G

Thanxs every1 for your input,deff gona get myself a wahoo kickr this year.it will allow me to train during the rainy days and during the week,
Do I have to start a new topic to find what is the best program to run it?im more into mtb trails but do a bit rd aswell,