New MTB (20-30K)

Zama7

Hey Guys

So I am new to mountain biking and have entered the Sani2C with a couple of Mates. No real mountain bike experience so I need some advice. I have read through the forum and online and there seems to be numerous options. Not to worried if new or second hand (if I go second hand looking for a relatively new bike that has been serviced regularly) 

Weights: 80 - 85kg

Height" 182 cm

Bike Frame Size: L

Wheels: 29", might consider 27.5" if on special but not sure there is really a 2nd hand market 

Duel Suspension, think a hard-tail might be hard for the stage race

Budget: 20-30k but closer to 20k preferably 

Options I am currently looking at (In the current order) :

Trek Feul EX 5 (not sure if 10 speed is enough?)

Startos AL 3

Scott Spark 970

Giant Stance 29 2

Merida Ninety Six 9

They all seem much of a much any recommendations or personal experience with the bikes ? 

thanks 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go for the Trek Fuel Ex 5. It’s a very nice bike. Although it’s a bit heavy but the ride is really good. Nice suspension so you have a nice ride over rough terrain.

Thanks guys, might currently be looking at a 2nd hand bike but not sure if the warranty on the frame passes over to the new owner?

Currently looking at:

2017 Scott Spark 950 - 20k

2018 Giant Anthem 2 - 25K

Will go visit a few bikes shops tomorrow in JHB / PTA to check out the available stock

With TITAN the frame has a 5 year multi user warantee .... ONLY if the first owner registered the frame !

When you register it, you get emails to confirm this.

NOT sure what the process is for transfer of warantee with other brands.

If you're a magazine reader, Bicycling mag currently running an article on bikes for "every" price bracket. 

I suggest have a look there for a gauge too. 

Thanks guys, might currently be looking at a 2nd hand bike but not sure if the warranty on the frame passes over to the new owner?

Currently looking at:

Will go visit a few bikes shops tomorrow in JHB / PTA to check out the available stock

My pick. Know a few owners of this specific bike with no complaints. 

Consider getting a dropper post as well. 

Currently looking at:

Titan is the only brand that I am aware of that allows the warranty to transfer to the new owner.

Very happy with my Giant Anthem, can definitely recommend it. As mentioned before, a dropper post is a worthy addition to any MTB, in theory it can even feature in a road event with allot of decending, like Amashova... ;)

Hang on a minute, let me quote: So I am new to mountain biking and have entered the Sani2C with a couple of Mates. No real mountain bike experience so I need some advice.....

I see that you do some other sports so I take it that you're currently fit and strong enough to do the close to 300km over the 3 days? It's going to be a great experience (not sarcastic), I mean if you're fit and used to something like road cycling and you then do the Sani as your first event in the mtb realm I can just imagine that it will be a great experience  :thumbup:, kudos to you.

From a biking advice point of view, maybe also consider making a turn at the folks @ BM, they do have some nice variety at a good price - https://bikemarket.co.za/ - I do quite like the Cannondale Rush they have (just off the bat, I have not scrolled through the whole website). 

Everyone will have their preferred brand and there's nothing wrong with that, I mean, I love Trek. But I would not be too focused on the brand, I would go and try a couple of bikes and get whichever is most comfortable within your budget  :devil:

If you're a magazine reader, Bicycling mag currently running an article on bikes for "every" price bracket. 

I suggest have a look there for a gauge too. 

Thanks I bought the magazine which was useful but they don't have the exact range I am looking for.

They recommend:

Silverback Stratos Al 5 - 21K

Merida One Twenty RC 9 XT Edition - 39K (so will above budget)

The rest are all around the 40 - 45k.

Hang on a minute, let me quote: So I am new to mountain biking and have entered the Sani2C with a couple of Mates. No real mountain bike experience so I need some advice.....

I see that you do some other sports so I take it that you're currently fit and strong enough to do the close to 300km over the 3 days? It's going to be a great experience (not sarcastic), I mean if you're fit and used to something like road cycling and you then do the Sani as your first event in the mtb realm I can just imagine that it will be a great experience  :thumbup:, kudos to you.

From a biking advice point of view, maybe also consider making a turn at the folks @ BM, they do have some nice variety at a good price - https://bikemarket.co.za/ - I do quite like the Cannondale Rush they have (just off the bat, I have not scrolled through the whole website). 

Everyone will have their preferred brand and there's nothing wrong with that, I mean, I love Trek. But I would not be too focused on the brand, I would go and try a couple of bikes and get whichever is most comfortable within your budget  :devil:

Yip I am running fit but no mountain bike experience. Been hitting the watt bike for a few weeks now I just need a bike so I can practice the technical stuff. Thanks will check out Bike Market this weekend.

Currently looking at the silverback Al 2/3/4 for a new bike haven't really found a newish 2nd hand bike that appears good value.