genetic / genome / dna testing

rudi-h

following some USA based podcasts, I've heard "23 and me" advertise on a few of them.  They apparently do a full genome test (health, ancestry etc.) after which they apparently can give you some pointers around certain traits, potential health disorders etc. but also perhaps more useful stuff for us cyclists that include info about your body composition, compatibility to certain food types or diets etc...

i'm nowhere near the level of performance where I need this type of info, but it seems like pretty cool stuff to know.  "23 and me" advertise this service for around R3k (directly converted from USD).

Has anybody done this locally and if so, how good/useful/cool are the results and how much should I expect to cough up?

I found something called "geneway" which seems to be the same type of offering.

I saw a related article on News24 yesterday.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/hold-we-gave-south-africans-dna-tests-that-identify-your-latent-health-diet-and-sporting-genes-their-spit-revealed-mind-blowing-insights-2020-1

If accurate, it could be interesting. The cost is about the same as what it cost me to test for one specific genetic biomarker, so feels a bit "If it sounds too good to be true..." to me

https://dnalysis.co.za/

These are the local guys, but tbh I don't know much about it. I only know about these guys as my sister-in-law works for them.

Edit: I see they're referenced in the Business Insider article

Edited by madbradd

Just understand the implications of giving away your genetic information and what this information could be used for. Exactly as we gave up our privacy to use the "free" services offered by social media platforms (Facebook, twitter etc), so we give up our genetic privacy when submitting swabs containing our DNA. Be aware of what these business might do with your DNA data.

Look at the recent Facebook-Cambridge Analytica Scandal in 2018 where personal data was harvested through Facebook without users' consent and was used for targeted political advertising. Imagine what millions of peoples' genetic data could be used for.

Even though you pay for the service, you are again the product and your genetic data is priceless. Don't give it away for free.

Read up a bit on the controversial side to these genetic testing services. Make an informed decision before proceeding. 

I did it a while back.

Problem was getting the kits to SA because don't allow us to do the Health tests (regulatory stuff). You could try buying the Ancestry kits, change your address to US then upgrading later on, not sure if it'll work.

but also perhaps more useful stuff for us cyclists that include info about your body composition, compatibility to certain food types or diets etc...

The 23andme reports are incredibly interesting, but not for your intended purposes. Rather, you've got the option to download your raw genetic data, and upload it to other sites for analysis (https://athletigen.com/ - This is a screenshot from my report: https://imgur.com/a/X5UZk9k )

This is an old article, but read this as well: https://medicalfuturist.com/analyse-your-dna-in-your-living-room/

Just understand the implications of giving away your genetic information and what this information could be used for. Exactly as we gave up our privacy to use the "free" services offered by social media platforms (Facebook, twitter etc), so we give up our genetic privacy when submitting swabs containing our DNA. Be aware of what these business might do with your DNA data.

Look at the recent Facebook-Cambridge Analytica Scandal in 2018 where personal data was harvested through Facebook without users' consent and was used for targeted political advertising. Imagine what millions of peoples' genetic data could be used for.

Even though you pay for the service, you are again the product and your genetic data is priceless. Don't give it away for free.

Read up a bit on the controversial side to these genetic testing services. Make an informed decision before proceeding. 

An interesting aside to this was the use of massive online DNA databases to catch the Golden State Killer - a prolific rapist and serial killer in the 70s and 80s in the US. The guy was eventually caught only a few years ago when an investigating officer took DNA from one of the old crime scene rape kits, pretended it was his own, and signed up to one of these online genealogy websites to try to find "his" relatives. It worked, but the ethics of doing this have since been questioned. 

All neatly summarized in this podcast:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/without-fail/j4hj4b

(a bit of lippy language if you're at work)

I've looked into this, and think the longer you wait the better it will get. We are probably limited by sample sizes, but locally there's more happening now - i considered joining this as a first round but just never did it.

https://www.behappytobeyou.co.za/

Accuracy of these tests is also a concern.

Another interesting topic is epigenetics - how your genes are expressed - this can be influenced by things like diet, environment, etc.

R3K for a genetic test is nothing. For my KRAS test it was close to R9000. And that was one test. There are 3 other tests that they can still do, but the doctor decided it was not needed.

And to be honest I see no problem with people getting or using my genetic information as long as it can help someone out there