[Event] Summer Fast One

Face Plant

Not a great race (did it last year):

- WPs ran out of water

- They join all riders doing different distances causing huge bottlenecks

- Bad route marking causing the people to take shortcuts or backtrack

What a nice race. Well marked route with some beautiful single track. The water tables had the best date squares I have ever tasted. 

The only gripe was the honesty seeding. Quite a few people rated themselves quite a bit faster than they actually were. Luckily there was a long stretch of tar to alleviate the problem. 

Will be back again next year. 

What a nice race. Well marked route with some beautiful single track. The water tables had the best date squares I have ever tasted. 

The only gripe was the honesty seeding. Quite a few people rated themselves quite a bit faster than they actually were. Luckily there was a long stretch of tar to alleviate the problem. 

Agree it was great. I like the new section at the estate (Eye of Africa?).

What a brilliant race! Well organised and a perfect mix of technical terrain and fast single track/jeep track. Some of the jeep track was a bit overgrown which provided a few surprises, but other than that; it was great fun!

Will definitely be back next year

Edited by stevec94

This will NEVER work. My retired toppie did this race yesterday(the 40km). He started at the back because he is new to dirt and training for a 4 day MTB race in OZ in October. He ended up finishing 29th overall(13 min behind the winner) and 2nd Grand Master. He said he had to pass so many people who were super slow. He said he knows for next time that he will start a lot higher up.

Thanks for the feedback guys, We always value the feedback (good or bad) the only way we can improve is by getting this feedback. With regards to the honesty seeding system, It will always remain a contentious issue and it may not be the best solution but we fine the same challenges with the traditional seeding systems as well, I bet you all have experienced getting stuck behind slow riders even in A batch. The fortunate thing about the Fast one is the long stretch of tar road at the start that usually sorts out any bottlenecks but if its not working we need to review the start procedure.

We hope to see you at at the Winter Fast One!!

Did it for first time (40km) and looooved it. My finish time is 1:50. Will be back new year. 

Anyone here did 65km? how was it? 

65 km was great !  :clap:

Good mix of dirt roads, jeep track, lots of single track, and rocky single track climb up to water point, and the same  rocky, technical decent on the other side. Great fun !

Water points was well stocked, and a good vibe at all of them.

Also worth noting that the group we were in were all very friendly and accommodating, which is not always the case when you have a tough technical climb and decent with a lot of people walking.

Kudos to everyone who tried to make way when faster people wanted to pass.

Suppose the 65km can not be called the fast one anymore. :eek:

What a great race! It has a good mix of everything, single track, climbs, open sections, jeep track, the works!

I do think if the 65km race gets any bigger they will need to introduce batching. The single track sections was getting quite congested at 30km's in. Anymore numbers and you could start to see bottle necks.

Here is my solution, introduce category prizes & Start groups. So first batch you have your elites starting(18-29), 5 minutes later, Sub Vets(30-39), 5min later(All ladies), 5 min later Vets(40-49), 5 min later (Masters & older)

No seeding system required, everybody races according to age & gender. Also each category will know who the top 3 was as they started together in their own bunch, vets racing vets etc. 

Keep up the good work! 

Hi Dan

Thanks for the suggestion, only problem i see with age cats is that on the long race it can be Vets, Sub vets and seniors that could win the race so to split it into age groups wouldn't be fair,  on the short race it is usually junior riders that win it but you could however make a "elite" batch with mixed age groups and then after that batch split it into age groups, we will have to look into it to find a working solution, the last thing you want as a rider is to be caught in a bottle neck on an awesome flowing single track.

Hi Dan

Thanks for the suggestion, only problem i see with age cats is that on the long race it can be Vets, Sub vets and seniors that could win the race so to split it into age groups wouldn't be fair, on the short race it is usually junior riders that win it but you could however make a "elite" batch with mixed age groups and then after that batch split it into age groups, we will have to look into it to find a working solution, the last thing you want as a rider is to be caught in a bottle neck on an awesome flowing single track.

During the entry process, people can select whether they want to race for podium or just ride.

Hi Dan

Thanks for the suggestion, only problem i see with age cats is that on the long race it can be Vets, Sub vets and seniors that could win the race so to split it into age groups wouldn't be fair,  on the short race it is usually junior riders that win it but you could however make a "elite" batch with mixed age groups and then after that batch split it into age groups, we will have to look into it to find a working solution, the last thing you want as a rider is to be caught in a bottle neck on an awesome flowing single track.

Hi Face plant

Yes, there shouldn't be a senior category, only elite. If you are a Vet and want to win the race overall then you race Elite, exactly like the road. 

In the short race you will only have junior, Youth and sub junior racing categories the rest is open. If anybody older wants to race they should do the 65km. The Juniors will win the short race overall

Thanks for hearing out our thoughts!