[Event] Summer Fast One

Face Plant

• 1 year later...

Anyone here doing this race tomorrow?  On the description for the 70km, "technical and challenging".

The challenging part I'm fine with but anyone know just how "technical" this is?  My skill level do not cater for very technical stuff, normally walk them, so was just wondering if I bit off more than I can chew or not ...  :wacko: .

Considering to rather change to the 40km.  Any advice would be welcome please.

I did the winter one last year and was really enjoyable. Certainly not technical, but not flat once you’re in and out of the Eye.

I did the winter one last year and was really enjoyable. Certainly not technical, but not flat once you’re in and out of the Eye.

Thanks Frosty, is the route the same for winter & summer races?

Thanks Frosty, is the route the same for winter & summer races?

The Summer one starts at the Rand Water pump station and the Winter one at the Circus. I’d imagine the trails in and around the Eye of Africa would be the same though. The difference between the two will be flat, keep track, and nothing much to be concerned with.

If your fitness can handle 70Km, then do it. 40Km for me is a bit of a let down and over too quickly.

The Summer one starts at the Rand Water pump station and the Winter one at the Circus. I’d imagine the trails in and around the Eye of Africa would be the same though. The difference between the two will be flat, keep track, and nothing much to be concerned with.

If your fitness can handle 70Km, then do it. 40Km for me is a bit of a let down and over too quickly.

Thanks that settles it, going for the 70.  I haven't done 70 in a long time but I do 45 - 55 regularly, 2 - 3 times a week.

If I pace myself in the beginning before the ascents/descents at Eye of Africa, I should be good.  The first & last part of the route is on my usual training ground, so should not be a problem.

See the video of the Eye of Africa below, look probably worse on there than it actually is.

Edited by TheoG

I did the race last year with no rear brakes working. The single track section at about 0:45 in the video is awesome as it's mostly all downhill. The tracks through the shale quarry is also nice. 

Enjoy tomorrow - I'd be doing it, but have a daughter's birthday (on Monday) with family to attend to.

Was great to do a race again!

I think this was Fast One number 5 for me but its my first time going through Eye of Africa and doing the climbing up to the mast.

Really enjoyed the route and it was a good challenge with a bit of everything.

Will definitely be back!

Why the late start though?