Where to get a refurb laptop?

Kalahari Vegmot

So.... It's time for a new(er) laptop. Current one poses a threat to my mental health to euphemise...

I really don't need THAT much out of a laptop; I don't game and it mostly gets used for rather mundane stuff.. Only thing is a hate waiting on stuff to load and booting up time...

I think I might like to get into maybe some coding or basic video editing at some point in the future so I'd like to prepare for that too though.

Spec wise then I think I probably need like an I3/I5 with maybe 8GB RAM and perhaps a SSD(I've heard they're the bomb or something)... BUT I'm decently clueless to all this stuff so any advice is appreciated... Oh and I just love my numerical keyboard on the side..

Problem is though, to get that level of specs new seems verrrry expensive, to me anyway.. And if that's what the stuff costs then I guess... But I don't wanna spend that much on a fast screen and keyboard.

SO, what's the best website to get a good secondhand/refurb laptop online? Quite rural hence the online part..

Thanks in advance!

I picked up a nice Lenovo I5 a couple of years back on Bid or Buy...seller had a good rating. Unit looked good. Took a chance for a couple of grand....worth it.

I didn't have the funds at the time but I replaced the HDD with a SSD and added more RAM to it and still paid way less than a new model with the same specs.

...otherwise check your local press/facebook groups for options. At least you could have a look at options in your local area. All second hand items will carry some possible risk.

Edited by Mojoman

Honestly its probably worth it to just replace your existing laptop drive with an SSD, 

You will be amazed at how much faster it is.

Im still of the opinion that I would take a similar aged i3 with SSD over an i7 with normal spindle drive.

I have done the tests with staff laptops and for most normal functions the i3 would be a fair bit quicker.

Honestly its probably worth it to just replace your existing laptop drive with an SSD,

Im still of the opinion that I would take a similar aged i3 with SSD over an i7 with normal spindle drive.

I have done the tests with staff laptops and for most normal functions the i3 would be a fair bit quicker.

Not unless he already has an i3 based laptop with decent clock speed and supports ram upgrades to at least 8GB.. specifically because of his future use case for wanting to do some video editing and coding..

Around 8K ish. They don't seem very specific with specs though

I recently got this for my mom and it's nice little laptop. If you upgrade the RAM and install an SSD it should be pretty nippy.

Actually, I'm talking nonsense, it was an X14 one , they are quite sleek.

However, you'll get a better deal second hand at Carbonite most likely.

Edited by bertusras

In September my old laptop I had for 6 years bit the dust in a very undignified way. Was left with 2 courses of action, have it repaired or replace. I decided to replace.

That led me to the question, what to replace it with. I use my laptop for general web surfing, a lil powerpoint, a lil watching of Netflix, a lil spreadsheets and word /adobe documents. Not much more really and certainly not a super user or heavy resource user.

I ended up buying an HP with I3 processor, 8 GIG RAM and 128 gig SSD. Cost the equivalent of Rand 7k. Boots up in less than 30 seconds , deals with my usage with ease and my lad uses it for school work and homework etc. Works a treat. Keyboard is not backlit by the way but I know my way around the keys in the dark anyway. Non touch screen but I did not want that.

The only thing I would change if I bought it again was go for 256 gig SSD. 128 a tad on the low side with all my music and fotos. Live and learn.

So, to illustrate, one can get a good functional machine for 7k or less.

We have refurbished 3 of our own laptops by just upping the RAM and installing SSD's.

The SSD's are amazing at speeding up the older generation laptops. Game changer......

We have started replacing all our laptops HDD with SSD's and where we could upgrade the ram to 4 or 8gb (at work). You can't believe the difference in speed, it's like a new laptop. So if your current laptop is just slow I will go this route and do the upgrades. With windows 10 you boot up in less than a minute.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a very nice refurb Dell ''Latitude E6540" from fellow Hubber Kosmonooit for a very decent price.

Boots up real nice and quick, and certainly is a pleasure to use.

Thanks for all the suggestions etc. I think for the average joe just replacing the HDD with a SSD is probably the better/cheaper way to go. Unfortunately I had other issues like a backspace not working etc. A little retail therapy never hurt anyone......OK maybe indirectly....

Edited by Kalahari Vegmot

Around 8K ish. They don't seem very specific with specs though

HI I have a Asus FX550v Intel i7 with a brand new SSD drive installed last month.  

It runs beautifully.  

If you keen its your for 8k

Equivalent model retails for approx R17k perhaps even more.

PM Me if you interested.

HI I have a Asus FX550v Intel i7 with a brand new SSD drive installed last month.  

It runs beautifully.  

PM Me if you interested.

See previous post.. but thanks anyway :)

It runs beautifully.  

PM Me if you interested.

Why are you selling?