Riding Weekends

#MTBFTW

Who's at the point where they've done all the big stage races that they want to do and are now looking for something different? 

My riding mates and I have defaulted to social "ride weekends" rather than official races and it's been one of our best decisions yet. No queueing for toilets, showers or single track and your own proper bed to sleep in at night, all at a fraction of the cost of most stage races. Its become a no brainer for me. 

It's led me to host some "ride weekends", specifically in the magical Karkloof area, which has some of the country's best trails. I'm going to be pursuing this more actively this year and welcome any interested groups. So if good food, local craft beer and some of the best single track you'll ever ride sounds appealing, DM me your email address and I'll send you details. 

Also out of interest, who's ever ridden the Karkloof trails and if so, what are your thoughts?

Cheers

Mark

Is this specific to KZN only (Karkloof ) or are you arranging other provinces as well .I like that idea as i dont race but do ride a lot (1000km per month ) so need to expand my riding experiences .

Will you be asking a fee for people joining?

Yes but it'll be an all inclusive weekend, food, accomodation, etc etc.

Is this specific to KZN only (Karkloof ) or are you arranging other provinces as well .I like that idea as i dont race but do ride a lot (1000km per month ) so need to expand my riding experiences .

For now, yes. Get a group together and come experience the Karkloof. It's a short drive from Gauteng;-) 

Agree with you pretty wholeheartedly on your opening 2 paragraphs.

Karkloof trails have only ridden a few times but its a pretty area and the trails have some really nice flow, convenient location and good venue with the clubhouse.  Also great area for after ride activities food/drinks lots of accommodation options, lots of options for the rest of the family to entertain itself etc. 

I guess the down side for you is the barrier to entry for people doing this on their own is low because of all of the above as well, so you will have to differentiate yourself from guys organising their own accommodation and asking fellow Hubbers for trail suggestions.

Maybe also look at doing things where more local knowledge/logistics/support is required? E.g. the Lower Lotheni Rd is one of the most spectacular pieces of gravel in SA, could have guys ride that while you provide backup/food/transport. Then up Sani the next day etc as add ons? These are more complex logistics where you could add value in addition to Karkloof.

Who's at the point where they've done all the big stage races that they want to do and are now looking for something different? 

My riding mates and I have defaulted to social "ride weekends" rather than official races and it's been one of our best decisions yet. No queueing for toilets, showers or single track and your own proper bed to sleep in at night, all at a fraction of the cost of most stage races. Its become a no brainer for me. 

It's led me to host some "ride weekends", specifically in the magical Karkloof area, which has some of the country's best trails. I'm going to be pursuing this more actively this year and welcome any interested groups. So if good food, local craft beer and some of the best single track you'll ever ride sounds appealing, DM me your email address and I'll send you details. 

Also out of interest, who's ever ridden the Karkloof trails and if so, what are your thoughts?

Cheers

Mark

Karkloof is very good. Nice KZN type trails - some nice Enduro type lines up in them forests. Worth going to do if you are in the region.

There was a thread many years ago about when you have finally "arrived" as a "cyclist.  the evolution was what you described.

Went something like this:

Buy a bike/MTB. Do a race. Do a longer race. Enter other longer races (get fitter along the way). 

Buy a better bike. Do many long races and multi day races or Cycle Tours, 94,7's, Ride for Sight and spend your days dieting and in spin classes.

Buy multiple bikes and wheelsets 

Get tired of that and get bored

Gte in to MTB.

Wash Rinse and repeat of the above with Sani2C etc and possibly culminate in the Epic.

Park all bikes (especially after the time the Epic takes).

Eventually work out you enjoyed riding with your mates.

Call some mates and go on a  ride.

Ride with mates on weekends in your own time and occasionally do a race.

Have a beer and coffee afterwards and enjoy the riding.

I reckon that you are describing and seeing the above. It certainly describes my evolution.

Not sure if anyone can find the thread

An extra bonus is that Karkloof has amalgamated with Howick trails so there is now about 100Km of extra single track included. I live here and still get lost in the single track :mellow: