Any Hot sauce lovers around?

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you keep your toilet paper in the freezer?

nope.

You develop a tolerance for the heat over time and really can pick up quite a lot of flavours.

I am not a fan of burning sauces that just burn you for the sake of burning. They have to have serious flavour behind them.

This is without a doubt one of the worst I have eaten. It’s just savage and has no flavour at all.

https://hotsaucedepot.com/da-bomb-beyond-insanity-4.html

Oh yes!! I love the stuff but I’ve started fermenting my own hot sauces. My favorite ferment atm is:

800g fresh peppers (I use red/green Thai with 2-3 reapers mixed in for good measure)

60-65g salt (I go halvesies with sea salt and Himalayan)

3 tbsp Chinese white spirit (You can use white rum but I don’t have any of the two so I leave it out)

Garlic to taste

Sichuan peppercorn to taste.

Ferment in a warm spot for 3 days and then leave in the fridge. Mine is almost 4 months old and just keeps on getting better.

I found most commercial super hot sauces have a chemical aftertaste. If you add some paprika powder to the sauce it takes it away.

Oh yes!! I love the stuff but I’ve started fermenting my own hot sauces. My favorite ferment atm is:

800g fresh peppers (I use red/green Thai with 2-3 reapers mixed in for good measure)

60-65g salt (I go halvesies with sea salt and Himalayan)

3 tbsp Chinese white spirit (You can use white rum but I don’t have any of the two so I leave it out)

Garlic to taste

Sichuan peppercorn to taste.

Ferment in a warm spot for 3 days and then leave in the fridge. Mine is almost 4 months old and just keeps on getting better.

I found most commercial super hot sauces have a chemical aftertaste. If you add some paprika powder to the sauce it takes it away.

i haven’t started with fermenting yet, but I do love making roasted fruit based sauces. I particularly like pineapple and habanero with a little reaper mixed in. Gave some to my Indian neighbour and he told me that white people are crazy. [emoji23]

Pick me, pick me!

I try not to buy sauce because I'm invariably disappointed, but I have around 40 chili plants at home of different varietals that end up in my sauce jar from time to time.

I use a very basic Portuguese chili recipe that I copied out of a recipe book a long time ago that works quite well and give lots of variation depending on the types of chili I throw in, as well as the vinegars and oils that I use.

I have four varietals that are fruiting for the first time now, so I am unreasonably excited to make some sauce.

i haven’t started with fermenting yet, but I do love making roasted fruit based sauces. I particularly like pineapple and habanero with a little reaper mixed in. Gave some to my Indian neighbour and he told me that white people are crazy. [emoji23]

Hahaha! I once took a reaper with to our favorite Indian restaurant. The chef tasted it and also said we are crazy. But like you say you build up a tolerance and then chase the dragon.

Orange Habs go well with tropical fruit. I used papaya, mango and pineapple for a hab sauce. Was damn good.

How is that Secret Aardvark sauce. I see it popping up on a lot of hot sauce pages.

Hahaha! I once took a reaper with to our favorite Indian restaurant. The chef tasted it and also said we are crazy. But like you say you build up a tolerance and then chase the dragon.

Orange Habs go well with tropical fruit. I used papaya, mango and pineapple for a hab sauce. Was damn good.

How is that Secret Aardvark sauce. I see it popping up on a lot of hot sauce pages.

its pretty good. It’s base is fire roasted tomatoes and habanero. So it’s quite complex.

Can you get it in RSA?

If not, I can get a bottle to you when someone heads back! Just pm me an address. My treat!

Pick me, pick me!

I try not to buy sauce because I'm invariably disappointed, but I have around 40 chili plants at home of different varietals that end up in my sauce jar from time to time.

I use a very basic Portuguese chili recipe that I copied out of a recipe book a long time ago that works quite well and give lots of variation depending on the types of chili I throw in, as well as the vinegars and oils that I use.

I have four varietals that are fruiting for the first time now, so I am unreasonably excited to make some sauce.

which ones are fruiting?

I tried to grow here but the climate is a little too cool.

its pretty good. It’s base is fire roasted tomatoes and habanero. So it’s quite complex.

Can you get it in RSA?

If not, I can get a bottle to you when someone heads back! Just pm me an address. My treat!

Thanks Wayne. I’m not sure if you get it in SA. I have not seen it there. Sounds good!