Love road riding, hate riding on the road

Nakoota

Over the past few months I have gone from riding about 5000km on the road every year to not wanting to take any of my three road bikes out on public roads. There are many reasons for this not least of which include the deaths of a number of fellow cyclists last year on the East Rand roads I used to ride.

Right now the only real option I want to consider is riding Suikerbosrand but that is only fun if you are fit :mellow:. I have built up a light hardtail MTB for gravel riding and mapped a mostly dirt road rid from Rietvlei in the South all the way to the Vaal Dam with 88km and 112km routes.

Does anyone else have either really quite (safe) road riding options or other gravel, district road routes around JHB that could be shared?

We not safe ANYWHERE in this country... Dont let it stop you from doing what you enjoy.

Join a club, invest in the best lights out there and just make yourself more visible, you may not look cool but will keep drivers more alert.

Ride with 2 or 3 lights mounted at different points on your bike.

Over the past few months I have gone from riding about 5000km on the road every year to not wanting to take any of my three road bikes out on public roads. There are many reasons for this not least of which include the deaths of a number of fellow cyclists last year on the East Rand roads I used to ride.

Right now the only real option I want to consider is riding Suikerbosrand but that is only fun if you are fit :mellow:. I have built up a light hardtail MTB for gravel riding and mapped a mostly dirt road rid from Rietvlei in the South all the way to the Vaal Dam with 88km and 112km routes.

Does anyone else have either really quite (safe) road riding options or other gravel, district road routes around JHB that could be shared?

No the feeling, I even use my MTB to commute so that I can hop on pavements and stay as much out of the road as possible. Don't blame you, feel the same way

I would honestly rather die doing what I love than somewhere terrified or old as hell relying in someone else for care. Road cycling is honestly my favourite thing in the world to do - it's scary sometimes, but I won't stop.

Gravel is fine, but then it's a high jack or robbery concern. You're at risk no matter where, and where in the world doesn't matter either.

Maybe try Zwift, but I can't comment whether it feels the same.

nope still sweating while stay in the same place.

Always rode in a club, numbers don't stop taxi's jumping robots. Will still ride cradle with the club when I feel like it. This was more about finding and sharing road and offroad routes that don't necessitate us having to take unwarranted risks or look like Christmas trees to try and remain visible.

Example 1: Plotted this route from Rand Water to the Vaal Marina (also used by doc I think), and have subsequently explored other surrounding roads to make other routes. The only tar really required is on the section past Suikerbosrand as there are no dirt options.

post-50555-0-37681600-1578594360_thumb.png

I know there are similar routes out from cradle to Magalies that people ride but don't have route files for those and other friends have many 100km + dirt routes out between springs and cullinan.

Edit: this isn't about not riding - road or dirt - it is about sharing alternative rides that aren't the run of the mil club road routes which are ridden week in and week out without fail.

Edited by Nakoota

Have you ridden Breedt's neck ?

Nice gravel roads although going across to the old shebeen is now beyond the Red Bull guys as the road has washed away a bit.

Shout if you want to come along one day...

Have you ridden Breedt's neck ?

Nice gravel roads although going across to the old shebeen is now beyond the Red Bull guys as the road has washed away a bit.

Shout if you want to come along one day...

I haven't but sounds cool, will take you up on that.

I would honestly rather die doing what I love than somewhere terrified or old as hell relying in someone else for care. Road cycling is honestly my favourite thing in the world to do - it's scary sometimes, but I won't stop.

Do your family and friends feel the same?

Always rode in a club, numbers don't stop taxi's jumping robots. Will still ride cradle with the club when I feel like it. This was more about finding and sharing road and offroad routes that don't necessitate us having to take unwarranted risks or look like Christmas trees to try and remain visible.

Example 1: Plotted this route from Rand Water to the Vaal Marina (also used by doc I think), and have subsequently explored other surrounding roads to make other routes. The only tar really required is on the section past Suikerbosrand as there are no dirt options.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-01-09 at 20.23.35.png

I know there are similar routes out from cradle to Magalies that people ride but don't have route files for those and other friends have many 100km + dirt routes out between springs and cullinan.

Edit: this isn't about not riding - road or dirt - it is about sharing alternative rides that aren't the run of the mil club road routes which are ridden week in and week out without fail.

Could you share details of this route? Often thought about riding from Brackenhurst to Vaal Marina.

Could you share details of this route? Often thought about riding from Brackenhurst to Vaal Marina.

I have been known to ride from home to Vaal Marina every now and then with my gravel bike [emoji6]