Santa Cruz - Tallboy - looking for owner

Rotiringer

I've come into possession of a Tallboy through odd circumstances in Kenilworth in Cape Town evening 9th Jan. It's a couple years old but in immaculate condition. See pic for detail. If it is yours or you know who's it is, connect with me and I'll get it back to you.

post-38965-0-78027700-1578639624_thumb.jpeg

post-38965-0-80748600-1578639636_thumb.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you had SAPS involved - if you suspect it's stolen property then you probably don't want to hang on to it without telling them.

I haven't involved SAPS, I don't really have the time or inclination - my intention is to get the bike back to its owner and hoping the Hub community could be of assistance to make that happen. Thanks for the recommendation though. 

I hope you had SAPS involved - if you suspect it's stolen property then you probably don't want to hang on to it without telling them.

Edited by Rotiringer

I haven't involved SAPS, I don't really have the time or inclination - my intention is to get the bike back to its owner and hoping the Hub community could be of assistance to make that happen. Thanks for the recommendation though.

How exactly did you determine it was stolen? Did you just take it off they young man in the assumption it was stolen or did he tell you he stole it? There have been a few cases on the hub here where people assumed something was stolen and it turned out the bike had been paid forward to the gardener or employee

How exactly did you determine it was stolen? Did you just take it off they young man in the assumption it was stolen or did he tell you he stole it? There have been a few cases on the hub here where people assumed something was stolen and it turned out the bike had been paid forward to the gardener or employee

I didn't determine it was stolen, I think that's an assumption you've made. I pulled the guy over and asked him where he got the bike. He said he found it while scavenging on Table Mountain. I suggested we go and take it to a police station to try find the owner. He was not interested in that and got a little hostile. I asked what he was going to do with it. He said sell it in Wynberg. I made a call and gave him some money there and then as i believed it was the most likely way of getting the bike back to it's owner. 

I realise there may be debate as to whether this was the right approach or not. It is however what I did in the heat of the moment. My intention is to get the bike back to the owner and do not wish to get drawn into a hub forum ethics debate please. 

In my opinion you made the right decision with the information available to you at the time and the guy's reaction to your questions. Well done, hope the bike and its owner is reunited.

I didn't determine it was stolen, I think that's an assumption you've made. I pulled the guy over and asked him where he got the bike. He said he found it while scavenging on Table Mountain. I suggested we go and take it to a police station to try find the owner. He was not interested in that and got a little hostile. I asked what he was going to do with it. He said sell it in Wynberg. I made a call and gave him some money there and then as i believed it was the most likely way of getting the bike back to it's owner. 

I realise there may be debate as to whether this was the right approach or not. It is however what I did in the heat of the moment. My intention is to get the bike back to the owner and do not wish to get drawn into a hub forum ethics debate please. 

Not wanting to get into a debate either.. You've clarified your dubious circumstsnces

Wonder how he knew this. Would be interesting to see which place he was off to. Wonder if that certain place is getting its bad name back.

Where is that dodgy shop that sold stolen bikes... Was it called Mike's bikes?

I don't want to name it in case I go missing. The second word was Wheels the first one was something you do when you go to church or ask someone to marry you. But plural!

It took me a while.... But I got there eventually!

I'm still not there .... I might need help ...

.... no got it .... thankfully cos that would have bothered me.

It took me a while.... But I got there eventually!

Edited by Mamil