Cheapest IDT set up for zwift?

duanelr

Hi all, 

What is the cheapest smart indoor trainer that is compatible with zwift?

It has to be the one that can automatically change the pedaling resistance according to the app. 

Trying to get an IDT set up going without breaking the bank...

So far I have :

* An old laptop / ipad

* Internet

* Old fan 

* Old roadbike

* Space in the garage / house

Any other equipment I need? 

If anything I've mentioned above has been covered elsewhere please do me a favor and post links?

TIA

Hi all, 

It has to be the one that can automatically change the pedaling resistance according to the app. 

So far I have :

* An old laptop / ipad

* Internet

* Old fan 

* Old roadbike

If anything I've mentioned above has been covered elsewhere please do me a favor and post links?

TIA

Look for a Computrainer, I picked mine up for about R2200 in the classifieds, including delivery. Zwift has the right code to control a Computrainer natively, whereas other Apps don't do it natively, so just beware you will need to add some other costs in the future if you do abandon zwift and go to Sufferfest or the like.

Otherwise you are looking at about R4000 to R6000 for a Smart trainer 2nd-hand.

Please ensure that the unit you buy is controllable, as there are a couple of trainers that claim to be "smart" but they do not allow control of resistance by Zwift.

Zwift is  R2500 per year, maybe consider one of free apps and spend money on a better trainer

You mention free apps. Which ones are you referring to?

Thanks

LOTS of information on this thread - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160110-show-us-your-winter-pain-cave/?hl=pain+cave

punchline - Zwift allows a low resolution setup which allows a basic PC to run it.  Most others require a strong PC with decent graphics card to run these simulation packages.

Yes, Zwift is one of the more expensive.  But there are many reasons why it is also one of the most popular.

During summer I just use the free miles each month, the rest I am out on my bike.  Winter time I am happy to spend the Zwift fee.

haven't come across any free virtual apps.

Trainerroad / rouvy / sufferfest all come at a cost.

IIRC, Rouvy on Mac is currently free (beta), but can't see anything Mac being cost-effective - unless you already have one

Even RGT is not free anymore.

I have 2 spare Rouvy logins going if anyone is prepared to part with a few ront for one.  :whistling:

Now you tell me after I renewed my annual subscription.

basically you need an Ant" dongle, Speed and cadence sensor.

Hi all, 

So far I have :

* An old laptop / ipad

* Internet

* Old fan 

* Old roadbike

TIA

Also keep the Tacx Satori Smart in mind. I passed mine down The Girl when I upgraded to a controllable trainer, and was even forced to use one during the holiday for my injury recovery and it's fine. I love my direct drive ERG trainer to bits, but in a pinch the Satori works just fine.

Bear in mind you'll probably need to get a trainer tyre as well for longevity.

Edit: And it doesn't require electricity, so you can still get your workouts in when Eskom inevitably drops the ball, or you can even go put your bike outside in the garden if that's your vibe.

Edit: Missed the part that it needs to be automatically controllable.

Edited by bertusras

basically you need an Ant" dongle, Speed and cadence sensor.

He wants automatically controlled resistance... so unfortunately that won't suffice