Cradle Ambulances & Paramedics at Caves

Block

Anybody know what happened in the Cradle this morning. Went pass there, at the caves turnaround where the Coffee truck is, around 10H30 and there was 3 ambulances and some paramedics. Could not see what was going on as they were attending to someone in the veld

And there was already enough spectators

Hope it was not a cyclist

Went past the scene - looked like a guy in black and white cycling kit lying in the veld a few meters off the road. Just before the ambulances arrived - there were already about 30 cyclists at the scene. Sorry to say it looked bad. No idea what happened.

From what Ive heard it was a cyclist that had a heart attack, family are currently trying to locate his vehicle as nobody knows where he parked.

From what Ive heard it was a cyclist that had a heart attack, family are currently trying to locate his vehicle as nobody knows where he parked.

Did he survive ?

Couple of years ago on that same stretch of road, maybe 1km before the entrance to the Caves, we came across a guy standing at the side of the road looking like he was in shock.

Stopped to see if everything was ok and he pointed to a body under a space blanket over next to the wire fence and said "my father-in-law wasn't feeling good, so he sat here on a rock while me and a friend rode on to the turnaround point and back, and when we got back here he'd died of a heart attack".

Medics had arrived but because he was already dead when they got there they wouldn't take him away. So the friend went to tell the family while this lad stood with the body waiting for the coroner to arrive.

It was grim.

Hi

I was also on the scene this morning but left before the ambulances arrived.  I later received news that he, unfortunately, did not survive (not confirmed)

Very sad, my condolences to his loved ones.

About 40min earlier, I also witnessed an elderly man fall off his mountain bike.  A couple of scratches and cuts but luckily he was alright

I really believe that there is a need to have a paramedic/ambulance service stationed somewhere at the cradle that could attend to accidents and emergencies 

Take care and ride safe 

I really believe that there is a need to have a paramedic/ambulance service stationed somewhere at the cradle that could attend to accidents and emergencies

Alas that would have to be paid for...

Alas that would have to be paid for...

Here in Dubai we have about 160km of cycle track (AlQuadra). Every 10km there’s an emergency phone booth. Dial 999 for police and 998 for Ambulance and they dispatched to location immediately. Doesn’t cost me a cent..

So it can be done, unfortunately the ANC needs Range Rover funds instead.

Well it could happen now if cradle users wished to pay for it? But that could be a challenge...

Perhaps Hub event organisers could shed some light on the cost of having an ambulance on stand-by for say half a day?

PS one only has to try and organise a cycle lane clean-up to experience how non-participative many cradle users are.

Here in Dubai we have about 160km of cycle track (AlQuadra). Every 10km there’s an emergency phone booth. Dial 999 for police and 998 for Ambulance and they dispatched to location immediately. Doesn’t cost me a cent..

RIP to the rider.

As for ambulances etc, it is unlikely to happen.  There are usually plenty of club support vehicles as well as miway cars driving around, who could have medical training.

The cradle area are just public roads used by cyclists and not dedicated for cyclists.  This heart attack could have easily happened on a cycle anywhere, it just happened to be in the cradle.

Everyone should either carry ID or have ICE on them, especially if they ride alone and this should be promoted wherever possible for people to adhere to.

160km ... my mind goes to over head gantries scanning cyclists for road tax, ebike lanes and toll booths (cause we all know e bikes are not real bikes  :ph34r: )...and then of course the coffee shop pull off's and just in case .. a KFC for the cyclist police on motorbikes  ..........I mean e bikes

But more seriously though,  condolences to the family, they must be really hurting right now.

Condolences to the family.

Its that time of year again when people are starting out and sometimes they are not going to come back. its very sad i think about it every year this time. We can expect more and then also the training accidents. Be careful out there especially if you are in the risk zone of 45 to 60 and coming back to cycling. 

The Cradle was frightening on Saturday morning early with a running race, large groups of cyclists and everyone back from leave plus motorbikes and follow cars etc.

I have been thinking about this for some time now and as a user of the cradle i would be willing to contribute to a fund to maintain it. I believe that there are enough people with enough standing in the cycling community to take this on, for example someone like Andrew Mclean. Maybe others - he just springs to mind as someone who uses the routes as well and is a credible figure to all.r

How about a levy from all the venues that offer parking and the like - R 5 per parked car for example voluntary. Also all the bike shops around the cradle that benefit? They can collect and contribute. They have done it on the spruit.

TBH if you want something to get better then you need to pay for it IMO - you cant expect this to be someone else's problems

I agree with all the points and some more:

1.) Parameds to patrol the major loops on Saturday and Sunday for the period from September to end of March when the cradle is the busiest.

2.) Coordination between event organisers around what is happening and trying to avoid what it looked like on Saturday morning with runners, cyclists, follow cars etc.

3.) Maintenance and extension. Its really one of the best routes we have and the safest hence the appeal. Signage etc is needed and some of the intersections need to be patrolled better. Rules to be established.

Sad news and condolences to the man's friends and family!

Makes me think the importance of knowing basic CPR techniques. Maybe a topic for a different thread....