Vaalies, change your plans

eddy

If you are anywhere within an hour or two from Suikerbosrand and you were not planning on riding there next weekend, change your plans.

I rode there yesterday morning and the summer rains have created a wonderland of wild flowers and summer green. In 20 years I have never seen it look as beautiful - Alpine in its glory and with colour people travel thousands of miles to see on the West Coast.

It should still be like this for a week or two and hopefully you will also have the cool, windless day we experienced.

Just do it.

post-50-0-06741200-1578900975_thumb.jpg

Edited by eddy

Never ridden there. Did you ride road or trail?

It is a one way tar road around the reserve. We encountered only one moving motor vehicle on the ride - a car following a cyclist that we overtook.

Thanks for the info, looks amazing.

Can't find much info on the reserve, is there a website where you got your info / map?

Are there any mountain biking routes?

https://www.gauteng.net/attractions/suikerbosrand_nature_reserve/

They used to have 2 or 3 very short MTB loops. (many moons ago) Unfortunatutely SBR went through a period of neglect. Infrastructure and accommodation fell into a state of disrepair. As I understand things have started picking up lately, but I am sure nothing will be left of the trails. The tar route through the reserve is well worth a visit either om road or MTB. Lung busting climbs, great descends, stunning scenery.

Just a heads up but as far as I'm aware there is no water available at the moment ....

There was water at the "bottom" gate and the bathroom was both clean and stocked with big roll.

Can't speak for the other spots

There was water at the "bottom" gate and the bathroom was both clean and stocked with big roll.

Can't speak for the other spots

Sounds good mate, was just going on this I saw on FB recently ....0e29f29a67e3758c6f7be92f6978c03c.jpg